PDA

View Full Version : CLake...A Farmed Track is a better track?

MUD MAESTRO
08-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Cedar Lake, Has the reputation to provide the best racing surface possible. They do that by farming the track several times during USA Nationals. But when is track prep to much? Listening to a few drivers ( Madden, Bloomquist, Simpson)....they believed reworking the surface prior to the main event hindered the set up on their cars and reduced chances of a good run.....Are the drivers right or do the fans want the fast and furious pace of the first 50 laps of the USA nationals.

ptown
08-07-2017, 08:51 AM
I thought the racing was great, cars running all over the track and lots of passing, much better than the PDC at Fairbury.

kazual
08-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Upper tier late model teams and fans often disagree on what makes for a good race. Drivers want slicked off and more of a tip toe driving style, it's easier on the driver and their much too fragile suspension parts and high dollar engines. Fans, not all of them, like a surface with some character that provides more intrigue and some unknown.

JabberJaws83
08-07-2017, 10:07 AM
As long as it's not a rubbered up piece of crap, I can be a fan of both.

SHOESTRING TRVLR
08-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Isn't that part of racing, keeping the drivers guessing at the set up. Can't have the same track conditions at every race.

dirt crow
08-07-2017, 12:42 PM
It absolutely pains me to agree with that hippie s o b bloomer but I do agree with him and the others. No sense in it. I was there last year and thought the track was in great shape after the nascar lates. Mars put on a show in that event. Very racey. Then they farmed it up and watered the sh!t out of it. An hour and a half delay. I thought it was ridiculous. Plus I knew I had a he|l of a drive home the next day. ...Wide open hot laps for a third of the race, not a fan. JMO

shaggy20
08-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Dig it up arse hole deep water the piss out it let them run wide open rough cushions pounding is what fans wanna see piss on what the drivers want

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Isn't that part of racing, keeping the drivers guessing at the set up. Can't have the same track conditions at every race.

You won't have the same conditions at every race. Adjusting the car according to what happens out on the track is part of it. It kinda feels like the rules of the game are changed when the promoter tears up the track and you don't know it is coming.

SHOESTRING TRVLR
08-07-2017, 05:14 PM
They knew it was coming. They stood there and watched. Had plenty of time to make adjustments. Late model drivers are becoming to whiny. What happen to the days of just wanting to race.

Zonks32x
08-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Agree w/shoestring. The drivers saw what was going on for nearly an hour, plus they had a 25 minute fireworks show and the intro time to make any final changes.

Track was fast, the racing was good, and the fans in the filled stands enjoyed it.

Yup, CL should really re-think how they do things.

huskerdirt
08-07-2017, 05:35 PM
If your track prep is that inadequate that you have to completely tear it up on Saturday night just to make the feature good. Then maybe you should really re think things. If you are doing it to sell hotdogs and beers. Then you REALLY need to re think things. Either way, it's unacceptable.

Maybe that's why only 42 cars showed up. I don't even bother with the ppv because I'm not paying money to watch tractors and water trucks circle the track for an hour plus. On top of firework display.... yes we must do that to waste more time.

Bubstr
08-07-2017, 05:41 PM
From the few times I've been to Cedar Lake, I can see why they may farm the track. It has a tendency to develop holes in the corners. The crews do need to be informed a head of time though. They can adjust to it then. It's not as bad as moving Ute tires in or out or blading the burm, in the middle of the A Main.

Either way, you know it happens and everyone runs the same track. Be prepared next time. This isn't a first time.

SHOESTRING TRVLR
08-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Sadly husker darn near every track does it now except for I 80. The kosiskis do it right. Even with 100* temps they have their track prep down pat. The art of track prep and letting the cars push the cushion up as the night goes on is extinct at the majority of tracks.

huskerdirt
08-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Sadly husker darn near every track does it now except for I 80. The kosiskis do it right. Even with 100* temps they have their track prep down pat. The art of track prep and letting the cars push the cushion up as the night goes on is extinct at the majority of tracks.

Knoxville doesn't do it and Eldora is pretty minimal compared to what cedar lake does. They take to another level as far as "mid race track prep" goes. A couple of times when Cedar Lake has done it, I don't think it's made the feature any better.

Yes we have become a little spoiled out here with I-80. What you mentioned above was an after thought following the SDN.

SHOE32
08-07-2017, 06:48 PM
I was at cedar lake and after the rain Friday right before the racing began,all the drivers whined about how they should keep farming the track to help. So they did. Saturday the track was great but they touched it up before the feature. I don't know about anyone else but the crowd by me were elated by 4 cars battling side by side for the lead at times. And as far as drivers having time to set up the cars, I was also at I80 and was very impressed by kosiski's way of prepping track. But guess what,Bloomquist,who I am a big fan of, missed the setup on his car starting up front. So I don't wanna hear all this crap about track prep at those two awesome facilities. Pull to the starting line and may the best car win.

TUTY
08-07-2017, 08:19 PM
All tracks do it different and all tracks have there reasons. All are good that are still drawing the fans and cars. Car counts are down everywhere but the fan count was very good at I80 and Cedar Lake.

a25rjr
08-07-2017, 08:25 PM
If your track prep is that inadequate that you have to completely tear it up on Saturday night just to make the feature good. Then maybe you should really re think things. If you are doing it to sell hotdogs and beers. Then you REALLY need to re think things. Either way, it's unacceptable.

Maybe that's why only 42 cars showed up. I don't even bother with the ppv because I'm not paying money to watch tractors and water trucks circle the track for an hour plus. On top of firework display.... yes we must do that to waste more time.

Agree.....it took too many laps for the track to slicken off. They should have left it alone and the racing would have been much better.

I rented the ppv both nights, and they drug out the show, WAY too long!

ptown
08-07-2017, 08:28 PM
I rented the ppv both nights, and they drug out the show, WAY too long!

Yup same way last two years I've went too many sideshows, one reason why I won't be returning.

Clayton_Wetter
08-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Cedar Lake, Has the reputation to provide the best racing surface possible. They do that by farming the track several times during USA Nationals. But when is track prep to much? Listening to a few drivers ( Madden, Bloomquist, Simpson)....they believed reworking the surface prior to the main event hindered the set up on their cars and reduced chances of a good run.....Are the drivers right or do the fans want the fast and furious pace of the first 50 laps of the USA nationals.

Those drivers are all wrong. The ones that can get the best power to the ground on slick tracks are trying to gain an unfair advantage. And they sure can come up with a lot of reasons to defend their stance. The fans need to start speaking up for better track conditions and not let those prima donnas spoil the sport like they do.

Cedar Lake makes a real race track!!!

Clayton_Wetter
08-07-2017, 08:37 PM
They knew it was coming. They stood there and watched. Had plenty of time to make adjustments. Late model drivers are becoming to whiny. What happen to the days of just wanting to race.

The big dogs don't like it too well when they have to actually get out there and have to race all out. It takes their advantage over the locals and teams of lesser knowledge, technology, and money for those special shocks and setups, away.

No driver even Bloomquist should be able to dictate the track conditions to their personal favor.

drich24
08-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Fireworks are cheap now-a-days and not much extra would have been added to the purse. I am not a big fan of fireworks and am there to see racing, but tracks are trying to make these big races an event and appeal to others beside us hard core DLM fans.

Husker, we had this same discussion after last year's USA Nats. The clay is totally different than the clay at Knoxville and I80. They can't just leave it alone all night, it will rubber up! I don't like the big delay either, but I believe it is a necessary evil at CLS.

Funny how all the whiners didn't listen to what BShepp said prior to the feature and only listen to a few whiners like Bloomquist. BShepp said that in order to have the track racy throughout they needed to work the track like they did. He was right, it provided for a feature full of side-by-side racing even through lapped traffic. There was so much going on throughout the field for 100 laps it was hard to decide what to watch.

As far as Bloomquist, funny how he is going to talk to the CLS owners about prepping the track the way he likes it. Of course he wants it drier so he can run through the middle...that is when he excels, when others can't run through the middle like he can! If all tracks just prepped it his way, he would win even more.

To CLS, keep doing it your way! The racing has been good for the vast majority of the 30 years of the USA Nats. To the complainers, stay home or stop complaining and enjoy the racing.

Cast-Iron-Junkie
08-07-2017, 11:16 PM
Outstanding post.

Nicely done!

Zonks32x
08-07-2017, 11:47 PM
If your track prep is that inadequate that you have to completely tear it up on Saturday night just to make the feature good. Then maybe you should really re think things. If you are doing it to sell hotdogs and beers. Then you REALLY need to re think things. Either way, it's unacceptable. Maybe that's why only 42 cars showed up. I don't even bother with the ppv because I'm not paying money to watch tractors and water trucks circle the track for an hour plus. On top of firework display.... yes we must do that to waste more time.

So...YOU weren't there in person, and DIDN'T watch the race (your own admission), but YOU know exactly what the track needs to do, what they should've done and that their track prep is inadequate.

Track prep is not the reason why there were only 42 cars in attendance. If so, Bloomer, Owens, Moyer, Pierce, Feger, etc. wouldn't come back year after year.

The car count is what it is b/c CL is a hall, even for race teams in IL, IA, and SE WI. A handful of IA drivers that normally attend, did not this year. I'm sure the CBC races scheduled for this week were a major reason for that.

As an I-80 supporter, you can certainly relate to living near a quality track that is a hike for most everyone else. Every year some teams don't attend the SDN b/c of the distance and that's too bad. By all accounts the SDN is a hell of a show, but I don't hear you or anyone else in Nebraska dwelling on who wasn't there. Same thing at CL.

Smaller car counts have more to do with the ridiculous cost to race a SLM, let alone the fact that every team just has to lug a toter home & stacker trailer across the country at 4 mpg.

Car counts are down across the country for Lucas and WoO shows as well as the summer nats. Even Eldora has felt the sting.

40-50 is the "new" 70 and 65-75 is the "new" 100.

huskerdirt
08-08-2017, 05:26 AM
So...YOU weren't there in person, and DIDN'T watch the race (your own admission), but YOU know exactly what the track needs to do, what they should've done and that their track prep is inadequate.

Track prep is not the reason why there were only 42 cars in attendance. If so, Bloomer, Owens, Moyer, Pierce, Feger, etc. wouldn't come back year after year.

The car count is what it is b/c CL is a hall, even for race teams in IL, IA, and SE WI. A handful of IA drivers that normally attend, did not this year. I'm sure the CBC races scheduled for this week were a major reason for that.

As an I-80 supporter, you can certainly relate to living near a quality track that is a hike for most everyone else. Every year some teams don't attend the SDN b/c of the distance and that's too bad. By all accounts the SDN is a hell of a show, but I don't hear you or anyone else in Nebraska dwelling on who wasn't there. Same thing at CL.

Smaller car counts have more to do with the ridiculous cost to race a SLM, let alone the fact that every team just has to lug a toter home & stacker trailer across the country at 4 mpg.

Car counts are down across the country for Lucas and WoO shows as well as the summer nats. Even Eldora has felt the sting.

My point is, it's the same side show every year. It doesn't matter what condition the track is in. They are gonna dig it up and farm the sh!t out of it on Saturday.

I've been to cedar lake in 2012. Been watching it every year before and after, except this year. Last year they spent a good 35-45 prepping before the NASCAR feature. Then after that feature, another hour getting it ready for the 100 lapper. That was last straw for me.

Either your track prep is that bad, or you are trying to sell more hotdogs and beer.

Having "great" track prep is not having to go out there multiple times or even once a night to do extensive prep. I hope Cedar Lake isn't mentioned among those anymore.

Highside Hustler25
08-08-2017, 06:28 AM
Funny how all the whiners didn't listen to what BShepp said prior to the feature and only listen to a few whiners like Bloomquist. BShepp said that in order to have the track racy throughout they needed to work the track like they did. He was right, it provided for a feature full of side-by-side racing even through lapped traffic. There was so much going on throughout the field for 100 laps it was hard to decide what to watch.

As far as Bloomquist, funny how he is going to talk to the CLS owners about prepping the track the way he likes it. Of course he wants it drier so he can run through the middle...that is when he excels, when others can't run through the middle like he can! If all tracks just prepped it his way, he would win even more.

Great post.
That was my exact take when I read Scott's comments. I'm sure the CL folks took notes when Scott was talkin.
From the video, it looked like a dang good race. Best of both Worlds. Hammer down and slicked off.

As far as the car count, I'd say it has more to do with location then anything.

Minny Lakes
08-08-2017, 06:44 AM
I'm all for a track farming the surface before a long late model feature. If they start out a tad dry slick, they seem to rubber up for the last 20 laps or so. I'll gladly take the first 20 laps being hammer down single file with perfect conditions at the finish over good conditions early with train racing in rubber at the end.

blncfn57
08-08-2017, 06:58 AM

Both sides have good points on this topic IMO Some people are ok with the downtime in exchange for what they think produced better racing, but there's really no way to know what the race would have been like if the track was left alone. Some people don't care for the sideshow and are there only to watch cars race.
Personally, I am ok with a little track maintenance being done when it's needed, but to feel like I was held captive for 5 hours to see about 3 hours of racing was a bit much. It wasn't just the track prep, there was alot of down time throughout the whole event, from start to finish.

Tireguy17
08-08-2017, 07:26 AM
They got the pre-feature track prep just right this year. In previous years, it's built a monster cushion, gotten rough, with more than half the field pulling off or suffering a part/engine failure. This year there was a cushion, but they were able to pass on the low side if their setup allowed it. The 4 car battle for the lead in the middle stages of the race was worth the ticket. Less cautions, more cars went the distance, lots of fans and campers in attendance, I'd say the event is doing fine. I dont like the delays either, but we all know they will take the time they need for track prep. Now.....the car count does need some work to improve. If it wasn't for the Fans Fund the event could be in the 30's. We all know its a haul to get up to the track, and I think the busy Lucas schedule is having some affect on getting some of those guys to give up an off weekend to come to CLS.

blncfn57
08-08-2017, 07:31 AM
I'm all for a track farming the surface before a long late model feature. If they start out a tad dry slick, they seem to rubber up for the last 20 laps or so. I'll gladly take the first 20 laps being hammer down single file with perfect conditions at the finish over good conditions early with train racing in rubber at the end.

From my experience, rubber on the track provides traction. It becomes an issue when there's only one lane of it so everyone has to be nose to tail in one lane. Eldora back in the day, for example, would take rubber from top to bottom throughout the night and they would race all over it in the main.
I'm not a Bloomer fan at all, but I understand what Scott was trying to say. There's a good chance that if the track was left alone it would have gotten better for racing as the race went on. Imagine if you flopped the first 40 laps and the last 40 laps of that race. It might have been a good race up front towards the end instead of at the beginning. Before I get ripped apart, I said "a good chance" and "might". There's really no way to know for sure.

BirkyTime15B
08-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Well this was the first and last time I'll buy that PPV. I fell asleep waiting for the dang thing to start. PPV production was great, but the fireworks, driver intros, and track prep made my decision about NOT ordering next year. Put the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) cars on the track and lets race. Must've made a killing at concession stand. Just my opinion, racing should be concluded by 11:00pm local time, excluding when mother nature is involved.

Zonks32x
08-09-2017, 12:39 AM
I enjoy the USA Nats and plan to attend many more, but I would not pay for the PPV if I couldn't go in person.

Just my personal opinion...but I have never, nor will I ever pay for a racing PPV.

1) The drivers don't see a penny of that money
2) I'd rather invest that $$ into the local dirt tracks near my house or buy a t-shirt to support a driver
3) My computer/TV screen can't replicate the smell of race gas, sound of a race motor, and dirt in my drink.

I get some people live hours from the nearest dirt track and PPV is their best option or only option...just not for me.

Big Daddy 37
08-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Well this was the first and last time I'll buy that PPV. I fell asleep waiting for the dang thing to start. PPV production was great, but the fireworks, driver intros, and track prep made my decision about NOT ordering next year. Put the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) cars on the track and lets race. Must've made a killing at concession stand. Just my opinion, racing should be concluded by 11:00pm local time, excluding when mother nature is involved.

Pretty sure the roughly 10,000 fans in the stands, and the staff at Cedar Lake could care less for you sitting at home watching on PPV for the first and last time.

We that were there, had a great event...And yes, the concession lines were long the entire time.

The fireworks and driver intros were outstanding (as always).

Without waiting for said track prep, darkness would not have happened for those intros and fireworks to take place.

Bubstr
08-09-2017, 11:28 AM
All tracks are not created equal, much the same as people. One track needs a lot of prep and the next is wash and dry. Not prepping a track to get a bad race and save time is not a good idea in my opinion. Since when is getting done early to go back to a camper or motel room, more important than the race. Everyone has to be somewhere, why not be somewhere with other fans instead of a motel room. Everyone is in a hurry. Slow down and enjoy. Make the best of it or don't go.

The thing here is they run a one day show in two days, because the gate doesn't pay the purse with only one day. That makes it feel like they are dragging out the show, because they are. Would anyone go if they charged $80 for a one day show? Same with the PPV, $80 plus for a one day show, is not a bargain by a long shot.

Clayton_Wetter
08-09-2017, 07:36 PM
All tracks are not created equal, much the same as people. One track needs a lot of prep and the next is wash and dry. Not prepping a track to get a bad race and save time is not a good idea in my opinion. Since when is getting done early to go back to a camper or motel room, more important than the race. Everyone has to be somewhere, why not be somewhere with other fans instead of a motel room. Everyone is in a hurry. Slow down and enjoy. Make the best of it or don't go.

The thing here is they run a one day show in two days, because the gate doesn't pay the purse with only one day. That makes it feel like they are dragging out the show, because they are. Would anyone go if they charged $80 for a one day show? Same with the PPV, $80 plus for a one day show, is not a bargain by a long shot.

When the racing is good I am in no hurry to leave, but when it's bad I'm ready to hit the road right after the LM feature.

Highside Hustler25
08-09-2017, 07:40 PM
When the racing is good I am in no hurry to leave, but when it's bad I'm ready to hit the road right after the LM feature.

I've exited stage right with plenty laps to go on a locked down track. Why put ones self through the misery.

a25rjr
08-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Im gonna agree with Marlar on this one. He said they should have just put a little water on it and not farmed it!