PDA

View Full Version : 5th arm shock

Cratelate1
08-09-2017, 07:51 AM
I've never did it before, what will it do to the car to move the shock forward/backward on the 5th arm... thanks

Basecircle
08-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Moving back gives more instant traction generally, but for a shorter time. You will lose traction on a longer straightaway. Forward is better for a momentum track where you don't need the instant traction, but need to keep it longer. The spring makes a difference as well.

Cratelate1
08-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Ok thanks, what would making the spring softer do?

Basecircle
08-09-2017, 09:03 PM
There are some different opinions there about what rates work best, but due to leverage you will need to stiffen the spring as you move it back if you want the same travel. Guys are playing with stacks, bumps, etc. but I haven't experimented with that myself yet to give first hand knowledge.

hipower17
08-11-2017, 06:18 AM
don't know your chassis type but we run a 300

Highwayman
08-14-2017, 10:37 AM
There are some different opinions there about what rates work best, but due to leverage you will need to stiffen the spring as you move it back if you want the same travel. Guys are playing with stacks, bumps, etc. but I haven't experimented with that myself yet to give first hand knowledge.

Funny how things filter thru. I remember when we were all switching from dual tube to monotube shocks and people started experimenting with monotubes on the 5th with different pressures. Then came dual stage spring setups, then bumps, now stacks too, lots of cool ideas.