PDA

View Full Version : Toe knocked out

Matt49
08-29-2017, 09:48 AM
This past weekend, my idiot driver clipped a yuke tire (not very hard) and knocked the toe out to about 1-1/2". Every time this has happened in the past, I've always been able to find exactly what bent but not this time.
Spindle checker goes in clean, snout is straight, steering arm is not bent, ball joints are good, rack is in once piece, all control arm and tie rod bolts are straight, control arms look good, etc.
Now I've been told in the past that sometimes everything just gets tweaked 10 thou here, 10 thou there and just adjust for it but I'm struggling because this is the first time I've personally NOT found a "smoking gun" after getting toe knocked out. Maybe the tie rod stretched a little...I don't know.
Any thoughts on what I'm missing or should I just bolt it all back together, reset the toe, and go with it as long as I can repeat all other numbers?

fastford
08-29-2017, 10:48 AM
a little hard on your driver there mat LOL he!! ive been that idiot a few times myself according to my crew, I have had this happen to me a few times and im going with the theory that several things get tweaked a minute amount that is hard to find , the actual spindle part of your spindle assembly could get bent just a little in relation to the steering arm and it may not show up on your spindle checker, just a thought.

CCHIEF
08-29-2017, 04:12 PM
My go to when this presents its self, I check if my #'s are still the same, like what i usually have for toe, around 92" IIRC, If it is less I then begin to look for why, then I check camber if it is more + on LF, I replace the lower A. Of coarse I check the spindle as you did. If the toe "# gets smaller with toe correct, the front end had to get narrower. Being that it is toed out, I bet it is behind the center line of the wheel, I went thru this a few weeks back, replaced the LF lower, obviously bent once on the bench next to new one, toe # still off, never found the problem, till this week and had a R lower snap. Hind sight I should of replaced both lowers. Will see if my toe # comes back tomorrow. HTH