PDA

View Full Version : left rear spring in front of axle

joortega22
08-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Just doing some random thinking here but what where the issues of running the Lr spring in front of the axle on a floated 4 link?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-30-2017, 04:44 PM
Just doing some random thinking here but what where the issues of running the Lr spring in front of the axle on a floated 4 link?
There were no issues. Putting it on the back made the car faster because it dynamically softened the spring.

TheJet-09
08-30-2017, 11:18 PM
I always felt the biggest benefit with the spring behind is that the lower shock mount is at least moving in the same direction as the upper during droop/roll. With the spring in front, it is going the opposite direction.

I can remember going fairly soft with the spring in the front, like a 150# and preloading it a bunch. It was pretty good in the slick, but then we got into the heavy LR (like a 300#) with 300 lbs of bite. I wish we had a better understanding of what we were actually going after back then, with the spring in the front. I can still remember what it felt like with the spring behind for the first time, like someone was on your rear deck pushing down on the LR. Crazy difference, but that was also before we (at least "I") thought of limiting travel. You almost needed a plexiglass floorboard to see at times.

I even tried a spring on front and behind at the same time back then. Not sure why, probably saw it on Moyer's car or something.

fastford
08-31-2017, 08:53 AM
we had good results with spring in front on a clamp bracket , instant throttle load on left rear , but it seems we were always breaking something an migrated back to spring behind and break floater on lft rear , then as the advent of bump stops and 2 stage set ups on right front and stacked left rear , we didnt need brake floater any more , just expensive azz shocks........

hipower17
09-07-2017, 07:01 AM
and lots of money

lovinlatemodels
09-20-2017, 06:35 PM
I can honestly say my Swartz car with the Z link RR and LR Clamp was probably my best running car. Car always had great side bite and forward bite. I just got caught up in the spring behind hype and cost to perfect it was out of control.