PDA

View Full Version : McDowell crash.

ThebigE
09-08-2017, 06:35 AM
McDowell gets caught up in a crash while leading his heat race with a car that couldn't even make it a full lap without spinning when he was all by himself. Should some of these "big" races have some kind of parameters on qualifying speeds etc? There were a handful of cars that had no business even being on the track last night.

bullring
09-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Dale definitely got screwed on that deal. Looked like a lot of expensive damage. On the way to a good finish and end up with a wrecked car and bad points night. I'm so tired of these kids with somebody's money behind them ruining other competitors equipment.

Centeroff
09-08-2017, 06:53 AM
It's ashame! Dale and Shane are both fine men. That's another product of running the cushion. If someone hits the wall ahead of you, you just have no place to go at those speeds. The backup car looked ok in the heat so I'm hoping he gets in. Also, I am pretty sure they get qualifying points each night.

Highwayman
09-08-2017, 08:48 AM
McDowell gets caught up in a crash while leading his heat race with a car that couldn't even make it a full lap without spinning when he was all by himself. Should some of these "big" races have some kind of parameters on qualifying speeds etc? There were a handful of cars that had no business even being on the track last night.

I'd say if your at least 18 you should be allowed a shot at racing. However maybe if your a certain amount off pace the official should advise you to run a certain lane or something. As far as having children in late models, I'm 100% opposed, don't care how mature you think your kid may be. Sick to death of rich dads funding children rides with top flight equipment and help so they're fast enough to cause serious problems and contribute to driving up cost. Part of whats wrong with racing, top to bottom is nobody wants to pay their dues anymore, just skip to the front of the line. So an accomplished driver like Matt Kenseth, with championships and numerous victories doesn't have a sponsor because he's not 19 and at the top of the sport. JMO

ThebigE
09-08-2017, 10:17 AM
My thread wasn't about spoiled rich kids even though I agree with you. It was about cars that IMO shouldn't be allowed on the track. They are dangerous to have on the track especially with the speeds these cars carry at the Big E. Maybe come to Eldora and race the fall nationals, Johnny Appleseed, Baltes Classic, but don't sign up and register for the Dream or World.

dmr37
09-08-2017, 10:28 AM
I'd say if your at least 18 you should be allowed a shot at racing. However maybe if your a certain amount off pace the official should advise you to run a certain lane or something. As far as having children in late models, I'm 100% opposed, don't care how mature you think your kid may be. Sick to death of rich dads funding children rides with top flight equipment and help so they're fast enough to cause serious problems and contribute to driving up cost. Part of whats wrong with racing, top to bottom is nobody wants to pay their dues anymore, just skip to the front of the line. So an accomplished driver like Matt Kenseth, with championships and numerous victories doesn't have a sponsor because he's not 19 and at the top of the sport. JMO then you have Matt's son, Ross, getting in a late model at an early age due to his dad's money and rep

GEAR_HEAD
09-08-2017, 10:29 AM
That kids' only goal there should have been to stay the hell out of the way. It looked like he had never driven a racecar before.

TS FAN
09-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Really a shame for Dale. I remember an incident several years ago at the World. Gill was running second in his heat and moving toward the lead. An incident happen with several back markers and under caution, one of the cars got lose from the wreck and rolled down the embankment into Gill and ended his night. I was irate LOL. AS Gill was my favorite driver. I do not really think there is much that will ever be done about slow cars or inexperienced drivers entering big shows though.

lawrence11
09-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Horrible break for McDowell. Looked as though he had a really good car and was going to be a factor in the main event as well. This is exactly why "car count" has never and will never be an issue for me. The show at Eldora is better when guys like the 28 and a few other are at the bar and not on the track. Agree with the above, come to the Appleseed, or Baltes and get your laps. Thankfully nobody was hurt because that was a hard hit.

BloomerHarvickFan
09-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Yeah...everyone always went nuts about 200 cars for the World, wow so many cars....when in reality there are only ever about a dozen cars capable of winning, if that many.

I know they used to cap the heats at 120 from qualifying. Maybe that number should be down at about 60.

ThebigE
09-08-2017, 12:04 PM
No, when there was 200 cars, more than a dozen had a shot at winning. It was much more competitive back then than it is today. The smaller teams were on a much more level playing field.Lawrence11, seeing your name you remember the days when 200-300 cars would be at the world and how much more competitive the racing was back then for smaller teams like "Saus" Lawrence Motorsports to make the show. Ruhlman, Bowersock etc......

Crossbones
09-08-2017, 12:27 PM
No, when there was 200 cars, more than a dozen had a shot at winning. It was much more competitive back then than it is today. The smaller teams were on a much more level playing field.Lawrence11, seeing your name you remember the days when 200-300 cars would be at the world and how much more competitive the racing was back then for smaller teams like "Saus" Lawrence Motorsports to make the show. Ruhlman, Bowersock etc......

Your belief is completely backward from reality.lol

zach51
09-08-2017, 01:11 PM
I hate to reference Michael Waltrip, but like he said once after an incident with Robby Gordon, "He11 I guess it's half my fault for agreeing to be out there on the track with 'em"

Highwayman
09-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Yeah...everyone always went nuts about 200 cars for the World, wow so many cars....when in reality there are only ever about a dozen cars capable of winning, if that many.

I know they used to cap the heats at 120 from qualifying. Maybe that number should be down at about 60.

Back then(80's & 90's) the bulk of the drivers were experienced and it was far more than a dozen capable of winning. But also back then weekly super late was the norm so you could get laps at your local track in a super before heading out on the road. Today not so much, but showing up to Eldora with little experience is not a good idea either.

ptown
09-08-2017, 02:41 PM

Remember who finished 2nd in the million, Smith was just a Moran flat tire away.....🏁🏁🏁🏁

ThebigE
09-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Smith who? ;)

highgroove
09-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Thats back when they let drivers qualify 2 cars...so a lot of those 200 cars were 2 cars but one driver.

Clayton_Wetter
09-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Smith who? ;)

Steve!!!! :(

TDRacinŽ
09-09-2017, 09:00 AM
Thats back when they let drivers qualify 2 cars...so a lot of those 200 cars were 2 cars but one driver.

They quit doing that long before 200+ car counts.

President Clinton
09-09-2017, 09:07 AM
You couch drivers are like all the living room football coaches watching your favorite team today and telling them how they are doing it wrong!!!! LOL. Carry on

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-09-2017, 09:35 AM
You couch drivers are like all the living room football coaches watching your favorite team today and telling them how they are doing it wrong!!!! LOL. Carry on

No. They had half the cars gong home in those days.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Remember who finished 2nd in the million, Smith was just a Moran flat tire away.....

He was a few laps away with no flat.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Yes and no. The cars were very equal. No one knew anything and they stayed the same year after year. So the great drivers always won.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Yes and no. The cars were very equal. No one knew anything and they stayed the same year after year. So the great drivers always won.They still do and still are.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-09-2017, 10:35 AM
They still do and still are.

There are plenty of guys with secret technology these days. It isn't the same situation at all.

Cardirt0
09-09-2017, 11:08 AM
There are plenty of guys with secret technology these days. It isn't the same situation at all.

Now you have some with 10 grand of Shocks on the car... Where most dont have 10 grand in all there shocks...

TerryM
09-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Remember who finished 2nd in the million, Smith was just a Moran flat tire away.....
Don't confuse them with facts.

over4T
09-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Still was the biggest payday Steve Smith ever had...$50K ain't too shabby.