PDA

View Full Version : Rumley question

wuss
09-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Was just wondering what his history is. How began racing and who he was with prior to JD.

Cast-Iron-Junkie
09-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Google k&l Rumley enterprises

Trax53
09-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Prior to JD?
Steve Shaver.

Barbecueboy
09-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Google nasa

Barbecueboy
09-14-2017, 01:58 PM
Prior to JD?
Steve Shaver.

Add Ray tucker and a few more

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
09-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Worked at CV products.

00Hdmn
09-14-2017, 02:40 PM
He designed the fuel pump that Nascar uses.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
09-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Is he Mexican?

Hahahahaha

chupp n bloomer fan
09-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Was just wondering what his history is. How began racing and who he was with prior to JD.He is an engineer by trade. Can't remember which school he graduated from, wanna say NC State, but not sure. He has been around dirt racing his whole life with his Dad Lee Roy. But he worked for CV Products, which is owned by Clyde Vickers, Brian's Dad. And they are in NASCAR etc heavy. So he developed a knowledge of not only dirt racing, but also asphalt racing.

Just a really smart guy who not only has book smarts, but also common sense real world smarts. Real rare combo.

Highwayman
09-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Was just wondering what his history is. How began racing and who he was with prior to JD.

His father began racing late 50's I believe and hasn't quit yet. So he grew up racing with his father in and around the Carolina's with many different drivers thru the years with his father building the engines. Its my understanding that Clements does some of the machine work, mainly the heads. Kevin is college educated mechanical engineer and he use to work with CV Products, not sure of his employment now. He also redesigned the Longhorn chassis and the manufacturing process they use from scratch a few year back, 2013 or 2014 I believe. K&L Rumley Ent. is "Kevin and LeRoy". He thinks for himself, is educated and experienced, but pretty sure he isn't an alien.

Bob Hubbard
09-14-2017, 05:59 PM
He designed the fuel pump that Nascar uses.

Really .... I didnt know that ....

Clayton_Wetter
09-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Goddness Gracias!!!! haahahaa

formercrewguy
09-14-2017, 08:38 PM
He consults now for a hefty fee. He was just out West dialing in Tony Toste's new XR1. He came out earlier this year, same place (CA) for a vacation and also crawled around our new Longhorn. A really nice guy.

dirtMAN007
09-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Goddness Gracias!!!! haahahaa

Grassy a s s !

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
09-14-2017, 09:10 PM
He consults now for a hefty fee. He was just out West dialing in Tony Toste's new XR1. He came out earlier this year, same place (CA) for a vacation and also crawled around our new Longhorn. A really nice guy.

Yea he spent 2 wks here setting up tonys car

Barbecueboy
09-14-2017, 10:39 PM
I thought he designed the fuel injection used in NASCAR now , not the fuel pump......could be wrong about that though.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
09-14-2017, 10:44 PM
I thought he designed the fuel injection used in NASCAR now , not the fuel pump......could be wrong about that though.

Pretty sure it is the fuel pump as thats what I heard

Forward Bite
09-15-2017, 12:03 AM
This thread is a good case of what is great about 4m.

00Hdmn
09-15-2017, 11:51 AM
Really .... I didnt know that ....

Yeah he told me and a driver I used to help with about it, oh I say about 6-8 years ago at the Firecracker 100 we sat in the hauler and talked to him for a good 4 hours and I believe that every team in Nascar used his fuel pump other than Richard Pettys cars. It was neat talking to the guy, half the stuff I couldn't even comprehend.

wuss
09-15-2017, 11:55 AM
All really interesting. So he doesn't actually travel with JD?

Hoosier_Dirt
09-15-2017, 12:12 PM
The World was the 1st time this year he was with JD. I look for him to start soon.

dirtcrazy4u
09-15-2017, 12:50 PM
News flash. Superman is gone. His new name is BATMAN and Rumley can go as boy wonder. Knoxville is going to be very interesting to say the least.

Bob Hubbard
09-15-2017, 12:52 PM
A question comes to mind .... Has Rumley ever helped bloomer ...

Hoosier_Dirt
09-15-2017, 02:39 PM
A question comes to mind .... Has Rumley ever helped bloomer ...

No. He's too smart for that.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-15-2017, 03:38 PM
No. He's too smart for that.Whose too smart? You pay Rumleys consulting fee and he'll help anyone within reason. Honestly, Bloomer would probably hire him, Rumley would change some stuff, and then Bloomer would think he could do it better. At this point, Bloomer doesn't need anyone like Kevin, he has a great car and can still drive. He just needs a crew, dependable and someone who can keep Bloomer on a dam schedule.

Duke100
09-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Whose too smart? You pay Rumleys consulting fee and he'll help anyone within reason. Honestly, Bloomer would probably hire him, Rumley would change some stuff, and then Bloomer would think he could do it better. At this point, Bloomer doesn't need anyone like Kevin, he has a great car and can still drive. He just needs a crew, dependable and someone who can keep Bloomer on a dam schedule.All the teams hire Rumley so they can catch Bloomer. Why would he ever need anyone else to make a car go fast?

james white
09-15-2017, 08:45 PM
so he gets a hundred grand to work on a car it would be worh it, as look where jd was without him.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-16-2017, 04:51 AM
so he gets a hundred grand to work on a car it would be worh it, as look where jd was without him.God I'd hope not. I'd think realistically depending what services you needed, $5-10k a day, plus travel expenses.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2017, 11:32 AM
All the teams hire Rumley so they can catch Bloomer. Why would he ever need anyone else to make a car go fast?

He doesn't. He just needs Lucas to intervene. (2015)

chupp n bloomer fan
09-16-2017, 12:03 PM
He doesn't. He just needs Lucas to intervene. (2015)If you don't think the majority of teams were b!tching about what they were doing, I dunno what to tell ya. Now they know how Bloomer feels every time he does something they outlaw.:)

joshroth14
09-16-2017, 12:51 PM
late in 2014 Bloomquist and Penske found something and dominated at the end of the year. Bloomquist won the World 100, DTWC, Jackson 100, and 4 other races in the last month and a half and broke at Knoxville on the last lap with a straight away lead and Lucas took away his shocks at the start of the 2015 season and outlawed them because everyone complained so Lucas is pretty consistent with keeping everyone on a level playing field.

racingfool32
09-16-2017, 01:06 PM
late in 2014 Bloomquist and Penske found something and dominated at the end of the year. Bloomquist won the World 100, DTWC, Jackson 100, and 4 other races in the last month and a half and broke at Knoxville on the last lap with a straight away lead and Lucas took away his shocks at the start of the 2015 season and outlawed them because everyone complained so Lucas is pretty consistent with keeping everyone on a level playing field.

Wasn't that more about cost?

The prettied up CJ Rayburn device from the 70's was a couple hundred dollars.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2017, 01:08 PM
If you don't think the majority of teams were b!tching about what they were doing, I dunno what to tell ya. Now they know how Bloomer feels every time he does something they outlaw.:)

You mean like holding his hand out to Penske? He is no engineer.

Yes, CBR and others cried. Bloomer gained the most from outlawing steel and heim joints and basic mechanical thinking.

Josh Bayko
09-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Wasn't that more about cost?

The prettied up CJ Rayburn device from the 70's was a couple hundred dollars.

Yeah, the inerters were banned because they're extraordinarily expensive.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2017, 01:13 PM

That was strictly cost containment. And should have been done. If there was interest in fair, level playing field, any new equipment built by a corporation would not be allowed without disclosure. Team Rocket proved that motive false last year. Despite rules that state new items must be pre-approved, they ran those air springs.

Highwayman
09-16-2017, 03:23 PM
That was strictly cost containment. And should have been done. If there was interest in fair, level playing field, any new equipment built by a corporation would not be allowed without disclosure. Team Rocket proved that motive false last year. Despite rules that state new items must be pre-approved, they ran those air springs.

...but that's Rocket, they're special.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-16-2017, 04:01 PM

Yes, CBR and others cried. Bloomer gained the most from outlawing steel and heim joints and basic mechanical thinking.Just go with it then. You've always had a boner for Bloomer and Rocket, as a few others do.

Not everything outlawed is based solely on the cost of the part. It's based on is it readily available, them air shocks are, as was the ones Bloomer held his hand out to run. Are they expensive, he!! yeah, dirt late model is ridiculously expensive. Why was he the first to hold his hand out to Penske? What was stopping anyone else from doing it? Nothing, but they aren't ok with you because they cost a lot and Bloomer tried them first.

No one but Kevin could get his contraption we are still talking about to work correctly. That is why it was nixed. And it was just as good as anything anyone else ever had. The consistency it gave JD, it spoke for itself. I'm a JD fan, so by no means am I downplaying him as a driver, he's dam good. But whatever they were doing made him untouchable unless he stepped on his wiener or broke.

Of course it wasn't fair, life ain't fair. He rubbed Lucas wrong, and they fixed it. And for such a simple device that you downplay, how come not everyone had them and had it working correctly? Was the design simple, looked to be, getting it to actually work correctly, evidently wasn't. Or everyone within months woulda had it and caught up with them.

I know you'll come back with Lucas is the devil, Bloomer is the poster child of Lucas, and they should let back in Kevin's heim joints lol, but time to move on.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Just go with it then. You've always had a boner for Bloomer and Rocket, as a few others do.

Not everything outlawed is based solely on the cost of the part. It's based on is it readily available, them air shocks are, as was the ones Bloomer held his hand out to run. Are they expensive, he!! yeah, dirt late model is ridiculously expensive. Why was he the first to hold his hand out to Penske? What was stopping anyone else from doing it? Nothing, but they aren't ok with you because they cost a lot and Bloomer tried them first.

No one but Kevin could get his contraption we are still talking about to work correctly. That is why it was nixed. And it was just as good as anything anyone else ever had. The consistency it gave JD, it spoke for itself. I'm a JD fan, so by no means am I downplaying him as a driver, he's dam good. But whatever they were doing made him untouchable unless he stepped on his wiener or broke.

Of course it wasn't fair, life ain't fair. He rubbed Lucas wrong, and they fixed it. And for such a simple device that you downplay, how come not everyone had them and had it working correctly? Was the design simple, looked to be, getting it to actually work correctly, evidently wasn't. Or everyone within months woulda had it and caught up with them.

I know you'll come back with Lucas is the devil, Bloomer is the poster child of Lucas, and they should let back in Kevin's heim joints lol, but time to move on.

Those shocks were not available at all in 2016 except a couple cars. Early this year, you had to sign a secret agreement and have an XR1.

As for Kevin's deal, it was mechanical. Anyone could make it. Some seemed to catch on. It isn't his fault they were dumb. Just admit you support the good ole boys club.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-16-2017, 04:18 PM

Yes, CBR and others cried. Bloomer gained the most from outlawing steel and heim joints and basic mechanical thinking.

Those shocks were not available at all in 2016 except a couple cars. Early this year, you had to sign a secret agreement and have an XR1.

As for Kevin's deal, it was mechanical. Anyone could make it. Some seemed to catch on. It isn't his fault they were dumb. Just admit you support the good ole boys club.Then maybe you should become a tech guy, to stop the vast conspiracy to further the Rocket chassis advancement.

And again, you keep saying anyone could have it. Obviously no one did. And you're correct, it isn't his fault the powers to be put it to him. But he rubbed their nose in it, plus stunk up the show, and forced their hand per se. There is always someone higher up the food chain than you, so you gotta watch the hand that feeds you and not pi$$ them off too bad.

Lol. I support calling things as I see them, don't give a sh!t about any club or whether I'm popular with anyone ever, just don't care. I think you just caught a case of pot and kettle. You want them to be allowed free rein to do anything, long as it doesn't come from a corporation, and/or the end result doesn't cost a lot of money. So the actual proverbial good ole boys club.

I just understand the way things work. And it ain't fair or right a lot. But it is what it is. You don't like it, be a tech guy, start your own Free Kevin Rumley series. If not, then you work within the sandbox the powers to be give you. And if you sh!t in the sandbox too much, they'll scoop you out and smack your hand.:)

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Then maybe you should become a tech guy, to stop the vast conspiracy to further the Rocket chassis advancement.

And again, you keep saying anyone could have it. Obviously no one did. And you're correct, it isn't his fault the powers to be put it to him. But he rubbed their nose in it, plus stunk up the show, and forced their hand per se. There is always someone higher up the food chain than you, so you gotta watch the hand that feeds you and not pi$$ them off too bad.

Lol. I support calling things as I see them, don't give a sh!t about any club or whether I'm popular with anyone ever, just don't care. I think you just caught a case of pot and kettle. You want them to be allowed free rein to do anything, long as it doesn't come from a corporation, and/or the end result doesn't cost a lot of money. So the actual proverbial good ole boys club.

I just understand the way things work. And it ain't fair or right a lot. But it is what it is. You don't like it, be a tech guy, start your own Free Kevin Rumley series. If not, then you work within the sandbox the powers to be give you. And if you sh!t in the sandbox too much, they'll scoop you out and smack your hand.:)

The sport was built on guys building stuff in their shop. Yes, simple mechanical things built with simple tools are much different than $18k shock absorbers. I call it as I see it. You can't sit and say there was something wrong with what Kevin did while Richards has Keyser build him an air spring in secret.

Josh Bayko
09-16-2017, 05:42 PM
The sport was built on guys building stuff in their shop. Yes, simple mechanical things built with simple tools are much different than $18k shock absorbers. I call it as I see it. You can't sit and say there was something wrong with what Kevin did while Richards has Keyser build him an air spring in secret.

The Rocket air setup is actually cheaper than conventional shocks. There is a pretty big difference between than that and inerters.

Hovlane
09-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Rumley's device increased mechanical grip which enabled Davenport to pass cars overcoming the current issues of the Areo dependant dirt late model. Areo grip vs. Mechanical grip he found a way to make mechanical grip pass cars and win. So he finds a way to lessen the Areo advantage that the elite teams had and the powers to be banned it. Didn't seem to me that in 2015 that Davenport's car was Areo Dependant.... considering it didn't matter where he started front row or back row he could pass.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2017, 06:12 PM
The Rocket air setup is actually cheaper than conventional shocks. There is a pretty big difference between than that and inerters.

Correct. That isn't my argument there. It was ran in secret when things must be approved first.

Josh Bayko
09-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Correct. That isn't my argument there. It was ran in secret when things must be approved first.

How are you so sure it wasn't approved by the WoO?

bb14
09-16-2017, 06:57 PM
The issue that my mb is trying to get across is not the cost but the availability. Rumley was outlawed because he was the only one that had it and would not share it. Rocket had a shock that no one else could get it. Why do you think Clinton left Integra and went to Penske.

Rocket gets away with it but that is ok. Lucas has been hypocritical but it seems afraid of Richards. He should have been banned for physically confronting the guy at Ocala because if someone pushed him or Josh they certainly would have been banned.

CKmotorsports0
09-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Hello all,Long time lurker on this site. But tonight I decided to join to ask probably dumbest question could somebody please explain how Rumley device actually worked and what it did for LR? Was it LR bite, transferring weight etc? I apologize if this was discussed millions times over for past two years but I couldn't find answer anywhere. Thank you guys.

Necrosis
09-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Inereters are not 18k, lol. And if anyone here had a set, how much do you think you'd gain with that alone? You'd probably be disappointed.

Josh Bayko
09-16-2017, 09:05 PM
Inereters are not 18k, lol. And if anyone here had a set, how much do you think you'd gain with that alone? You'd probably be disappointed.

Look on Penske's site. Inerters are absolutely 18k.

CKmotorsports0
09-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Again with silly question. This is first time I saw term Airshocks. Is this new tech, only on XR1's? Obviously there legal or else this whole forum would be talking about them just wondering guys thanks.

Hovlane
09-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Again with silly question. This is first time I saw term Airshocks. Is this new tech, only on XR1's? Obviously there legal or else this whole forum would be talking about them just wondering guys thanks.

Not new technology they have been around for some years now in other various motorsports. Just new to dirt late model application. Rocket chassis is charging what I feel is a inflated price but typically you could find them elsewhere for about 30 - 40 % less than the common shocks that they run.

Hovlane
09-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Hello all,Long time lurker on this site. But tonight I decided to join to ask probably dumbest question could somebody please explain how Rumley device actually worked and what it did for LR? Was it LR bite, transferring weight etc? I apologize if this was discussed millions times over for past two years but I couldn't find answer anywhere. Thank you guys.

The basic concept was it was able to maintain LR wheel load in the car to increase traction. The device was copied by other manufactures. The problem everybody had with the device was nobody knew how to adjust it except for Kevin Rumley.
JUST MY OPINION OF COURSE

backwaterusa
09-16-2017, 10:40 PM
It enabled the car to have extreme drop on the left rear and controlled the amount of rear steer and that created more drive. You can only shorten the right side bars so much. It was just another crutch.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2017, 11:25 PM
It enabled the car to have extreme drop on the left rear and controlled the amount of rear steer and that created more drive. You can only shorten the right side bars so much. It was just another crutch.
No. It was an actual solution. The air shocks and other crap are the crutches.

backwaterusa
09-16-2017, 11:48 PM
There won't be a solution until there is a different rear suspension.

blncfn57
09-17-2017, 06:10 AM
Rumley was outlawed because he was the only one that had it and would not share it.

Pretty sure the Moyers also had it, along with Jesse Stovall..... Stovall was actually pretty successful running it, he figured it out himself after seeing it on Moyers car. Seems that if a guy wanted to invest the time they could figure it out. It's a shame that everyone wants to buy things these days instead of putting in the work....

Highwayman
09-17-2017, 06:22 AM

You're arguing with a bunch of "Snowflakes" and they will never understand individuality or thinking for ones self. When they make arguments like, "Rumley wouldn't share" it's a lost cause and they do not understand racing, they have been brain washed by the collective public education system. They don't feel comfortable without authoritarians dictating their choices. Equal pay and redistribute the wealth and all that, you know.

Necrosis
09-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Look on Penske's site. Inerters are absolutely 18k.Lucas Oil Late Model Drag Racing Dirt Series? They don't list everything...

Bubstr
09-17-2017, 03:03 PM
I have to agree with Mastersbuilt. Mechanical ingenuity has always been part of all racing, since the guy drove that wedge in the transverse spring. BTW, that is where the term wedge came from. Most guys are too young to remember, but you made your own race car. After market parts was not an option. It was a lot cheaper and there where more racers. Tech for sale is why we lose racers. Not enough sponsors, willing to make a bad advertising investment. God love them.

Kwd1253
09-17-2017, 03:35 PM
I have to agree with Mastersbuilt. Mechanical ingenuity has always been part of all racing, since the guy drove that wedge in the transverse spring. BTW, that is where the term wedge came from. Most guys are too young to remember, but you made your own race car. After market parts was not an option. It was a lot cheaper and there where more racers. Tech for sale is why we lose racers. Not enough sponsors, willing to make a bad advertising investment. God love them.
In house fabrication for late model is thing in pass almost. Like you said owners, drivers ECT. Rather buy it. Then have no clue how get 100% function out of it. That the problem I see the most. Lot stuff can be done in house and if they build it themselves, they can really understand the function of a part.