PDA

View Full Version : Knoxville track conditions

highgroove
09-19-2017, 11:27 AM
WHAT DO YOU THINK

https://racingnews.co/2017/09/19/jason-feger-knoxville-raceway-track-prep/

huskerdirt
09-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Finally someone besides me is saying it.

RiffRaf67
09-19-2017, 11:49 AM
While I do respect Jason's opinion (we are all entitled to them), the Duncans are the best in the business.
You KNOW what you are going to get when you go there, its ALWAYS the same.
If that's not your cup of tea, then don't go.

PBR66
09-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Problem is if they let it get to dry and it takes rubber everyone complains about the tire bill. Promoters really can't win. My dad always said don't bitch about the track it's the same for everyone on it..... make the best of it

huskerdirt
09-19-2017, 12:10 PM
While I do respect Jason's opinion (we are all entitled to them), the Duncans are the best in the business.
You KNOW what you are going to get when you go there, its ALWAYS the same.
If that's not your cup of tea, then don't go.

It's not always been the same. Ever since Francis won in 2012 the track has gotten faster and faster.

I guess from this point forward we shouldn't have any threads discussing the fuel stop, car count, or the fact they only had two races Saturday night.

ptown
09-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Knoxville track prep guys throughout the season do sprint cars only. My question is does the track do their own thing on prep or is Lucas officials telling them what they want.

RRRKKK
09-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Knoxville is one of a kind, you know what you are going to get before you go there. If its not your cup of tea don't drink it.

SHOESTRING TRVLR
09-19-2017, 12:41 PM
What happened to keeping the drivers guessing what the track conditions will do throughout the night.

Barbecueboy
09-19-2017, 01:18 PM
What happened to keeping the drivers guessing what the track conditions will do throughout the night.

It all ended when they started passing out participation trophys to everyone........not talking specifically about the track fwiw.

Bubstr
09-19-2017, 01:18 PM
I think it's the best track in the country. Some cars aren't up to it. You do realize, it rained 2 of 3 days there. The rain Sat. would have put a lot of tracks out of business for the night. Knoxville is a test, but look at the pay out sheet.

Cardirt0
09-19-2017, 01:23 PM
The Thing people seam to forget is its DIRT lots of things can change it, rain or no rain, or water truck or No water truck,,, Knox is about the same all the time or rain will change it... Big pay live with it or stay home......

huskerdirt
09-19-2017, 01:27 PM
I think it's the best track in the country. Some cars aren't up to it. You do realize, it rained 2 of 3 days there. The rain Sat. would have put a lot of tracks out of business for the night. Knoxville is a test, but look at the pay out sheet.

Friday night was just as fast as the other two nights. It's become a trend the feature is hammer down, especially the first half the race. The only reason they had a fuel issue last year was because the pace was (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) fast.

Yeah.... the Saturday night A main purse is good. The rest of it, nothing to brag about. They haven't put one penny more into the purse in 10 years. The drivers notice that stuff. For some, the shine has worn off Knoxville.

highspeeddirt
09-19-2017, 01:36 PM
I sat in the stands listening to the driver interviews and thought to myself what a bunch of whiners. McCreadie mentioned they tore up the track during the rain and now the track will be rough. Wrong it was smooth. Others mentioned its hard on equipment and engines. Heres a thought, put a gear in the car so its not revving 10 freaking grand for 100 laps. Never have I seen so many people complain that the track was too good.Don't get me wrong I like late models and I think this race is one of the best every year. But good grief.

Krooser
09-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Roger on the gear comment....

mcarter815
09-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Knoxville has always been hard on motors. I've been going to that race every year since 2008 and I haven't noticed any difference in how they have farmed the track. The changes in the cars have caused the increase in speeds.

TS FAN
09-19-2017, 03:06 PM
I thought the racing was great for three days.

Clayton_Wetter
09-19-2017, 03:36 PM
The drivers better consider the fans or only a fringe will be watching. Tired of the complaining and some so particular that they will sometimes load and leave.

Fewer fans equals weaker purses and parked cars.

zach51
09-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Is there anything Feger doesn't complain to reporters about?

golddirt
09-19-2017, 03:41 PM
He has been on a roll, maybe too much bush? Something isn't right in his camp.

Clayton_Wetter
09-19-2017, 04:01 PM
There was a time when Fager could not keep up on slick tracks. Seems like when drivers find out the secrets to success on dry slick they, then change their tune on preference.

RiffRaf67
09-19-2017, 04:01 PM
He has been on a roll, maybe too much bush? Something isn't right in his camp.

Busch or Bush? Both have been known to be the downfall of many a good man...

Hoosier_Dirt
09-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Feger's right. It's not rocket science to see it. I say there will be a decline in cars, track is big and hard on motors and equipment, especially when heavy.

golddirt
09-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Really? Cars have been on decline everywhere for years.

Clayton_Wetter
09-19-2017, 09:06 PM
It's not the race track surface that's causing the decline in cars.

TUTY
09-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Agree, Knoxville does track prep as good as anyone.

fryefan
09-19-2017, 09:46 PM
I sat in the stands listening to the driver interviews and thought to myself what a bunch of whiners. McCreadie mentioned they tore up the track during the rain and now the track will be rough. Wrong it was smooth. Others mentioned its hard on equipment and engines. Heres a thought, put a gear in the car so its not revving 10 freaking grand for 100 laps. Never have I seen so many people complain that the track was too good.Don't get me wrong I like late models and I think this race is one of the best every year. But good grief.

You hit the nail on the head. Some of those guys just like to bi+ch and moan.

MUD MAESTRO
09-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Not all race teams can compete with the money boyz and they shouldn't even try. Fegers buddy Unzicker figured it out and wasn't there. Why cripple your team with a hefty engine bill when there is plenty of racing left and money to be made. Many times for these small teams reaching for the stars (40k) is out of reach. Frankly, only half a dozen teams were fast enough to win 2017 Knoxville.

huskerdirt
09-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Not all race teams can compete with the money boyz and they shouldn't even try. Fegers buddy Unzicker figured it out and wasn't there. Why cripple your team with a hefty engine bill when there is plenty of racing left and money to be made. Many times for these small teams reaching for the stars (40k) is out of reach. Frankly, only half a dozen teams were fast enough to win 2017 Knoxville.

If only the guys that thought they could win would show up at Knoxville, you would have less than 15 guys. And that pretty much goes for every race big or small.

Unzicker is chasing ump points, so I don't think anybody thought he was gonna be there anyway.

SHOE32
09-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Three great days of racing,worth every penny. I like Jason feger and even have his shirt but he had a great starting spot to make the big show and messed it up. Not tracks fault. And as far as drivers whining,they do it at cedar lake every year,so if they all keep crying about running for big money your gonna see more specials like the Masters go to mods. Quit crying,adjust your setups to track conditions and be happy your running for big money.

ptown
09-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Drivers whining.......Is this something new?

cgrace
09-19-2017, 10:55 PM
it seems to me like he was saying he really can't afford to compete with the big wide bore motors. read to me like he really does like knoxville. everyone knows heavy big tracks are hard on motors. he is right that the last three years or so the track prep leans heavier. i was there, they watered the track pretty heavy even though rain was coming. if he doesn't have the funds, just don't go. stay more regional. i think it goes back to the other thread about purses too. only 50% of field finished, many pulled in. if the purse is throughout will guys keep running? 100 laps on a great big fast track is hard on all of the equipment. local/regional guys don't have the funds to replace everything on their car. in reality they drove over 200 laps on a big fast half mile in three days and the same thing the week before at eldora. so total isn't that like 1600 hard laps on a bull ring. how many laps do motors have before they need refreshed.

cgrace
09-19-2017, 11:01 PM
shoe32 i had rread feger's motor broke in bmain that's why he was trying to pull in.

intel8
09-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Teams complained about the Springfield (IL.) mile and now that is no longer for the late models.

kazual
09-20-2017, 09:49 AM
An example of majority of drivers preferring slick, dry, tip toe around track prep with no uneven surface. Yet fans, or a majority anyway, prefer a track that is more tacky providing for some uncertainty from lap to lap, engines winding tighter, and the cars moving around in the corners. Cars are too expensive and too delicate to survive in rough and fast conditions. And fans aren't as amped up for cars that look like they are riding around on asphalt. Drivers get their way there will be less fans in the stands. Fans get their way there will be less cars to go roundy roundy. It's a problem for dirt racing now and into the foreseeable future.

Highwayman
09-20-2017, 09:53 AM
It all ended when they started passing out participation trophys to everyone........not talking specifically about the track fwiw.

Oh boy, your asking for a snow storm and a half talking like that. I can see the flakes starting to fall now.

Highwayman
09-20-2017, 10:02 AM
WHAT DO YOU THINK

https://racingnews.co/2017/09/19/jason-feger-knoxville-raceway-track-prep/

It knoxville, a big heavy black dirt hammer down track. I've never seen it any other way, so you kinda know going in your engine is going to be taxed severely. I thought it was better without fuel stop, it would allow those wiser to lower the pace for a bit to save fuel before charging late. Now with fuel stop its foot to firewall for 100 and hope the power-plant holds out cause she gonna need a refresh after. Its Knoxville, that's how it is. I myself wouldn't go unless I could afford to throw an engine away and possibly a car if things go awry. JMO.

SHOE32
09-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Cgrace,you may be right,but going back to hotel from Friday night's show I really thought he was pretty much a sure thing to make the big show. I always cheer for area guys to make the big shows but he really didn't seem like he was setup as good as Friday so maybe he did have engine trouble.just a bummer he didn't make show Sat.

Krooser
09-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Do the guys running 360 sprints feel the same way?

huskerdirt
09-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Do the guys running 360 sprints feel the same way?

Wut???????

waaac77
09-21-2017, 06:26 AM
Wut???????

Hey huskerfart, that was a question. I'm curious to know the answer too. Do the guys running 360 sprints feel the same way?

huskerdirt
09-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Hey huskerfart, that was a question. I'm curious to know the answer too. Do the guys running 360 sprints feel the same way?

They are capped at 360 cubic inches. It's apples and oranges. In late models one guy might have a 430 Clements. The next guy might be in a 490 Vic Hill(yes he does have one that big). One thinks it's fine... the other night not.

I'm sure sprint car guys have complained about the track being too fast.

highspeeddirt
09-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Don't think I have ever heard the sprint guys talk about it being too fast. If the track is heavy they will usually talk about the groove being narrow and the track not widening out. One difference I have noticed going to both the sprint nats and the late model nats is the late models will widen the groove quicker.

Bforwarned
09-21-2017, 05:22 PM
They should have had the fuel stop on the first yellow after 20 laps, not wait until lap 50. Also I have nothing against Feger, but he was much faster when he ran the Pierce Chassis.

huskerdirt
09-21-2017, 05:33 PM
They should have had the fuel stop on the first yellow after 20 laps, not wait until lap 50. Also I have nothing against Feger, but he was much faster when he ran the Pierce Chassis.

They moved to the fuel stop to lap 51 because rain was in the area and they were trying to get to that point.