PDA

View Full Version : Body Rules???

JabberJaws83
09-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Seriously, how does this pass tech and the car is ugly as all get out.

https://s26.postimg.org/awb3pvxp5/77_EC904_B-2_E08-4_F0_E-_A443-5_FF4_FC877674.png (https://postimg.org/image/8ezcimdsl/)

Krooser
09-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Good question!

cjsracing
09-22-2017, 09:16 PM
To each his own I guess. Personally I love that look.

Dirtfan04
09-22-2017, 11:34 PM
The thing is.... it probably does actually conform to the rule book as it is written. Most of these teams are just taking advantage of grey areas that are in between the rules and measurements that are listed in the book. I've watched the tech inspection at several races this year, and I have notice cars that I just "knew" would not pass because of how they looked to the eye, but surprisingly, every single measurement or template they checked conformed.

dirtdobber45
09-22-2017, 11:35 PM
I was thinking the same the first time I seen it. Thats about the uglyist car Ive ever seen...lol

One Man Gang
09-22-2017, 11:59 PM
I was told the tech guy failed Marlar when he first went through for front being too low and made them raise it up so looks like they told Overton the same thing and they made sure it was high enough. Said Mikey told em the SOB might be high as his head but he'd raise her for em if that's what they wanted. Lol

One Man Gang
09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
That might explain why Overton was 4th in his heat race too

RW57
09-23-2017, 06:34 AM
They do them like that because the cars have so much RF travel the noses drag what's amazing is at race speed in the corner that nose will be an inch off the ground I agree they are ugly as hell . Look at victory lane photos from local tracks the cars look like a 4 wheel drives in the photos.Also note the wedge shape of the body it probably does meet every measurement though. To get a idea of body rules go to Lucas or WOOL on web go to rules and you will get a better understanding of what the rules are.

billetbirdcage
09-23-2017, 08:08 AM
They do them like that because the cars have so much RF travel the noses drag what's amazing is at race speed in the corner that nose will be an inch off the ground I agree they are ugly as hell . Look at victory lane photos from local tracks the cars look like a 4 wheel drives in the photos.Also note the wedge shape of the body it probably does meet every measurement though. To get a idea of body rules go to Lucas or WOOL on web go to rules and you will get a better understanding of what the rules are.

Most of them won't actually pass tech but this rule isn't enforced

15.9.2 - General Body
N.) The top edge, measured from the ground, of the rear quarter, door and front
fender to the point where the fender flare attaches must be a straight line, within one inch on both sides of the car.

Jim11h
09-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Overtons car just may conform. Rules are over due to change. They need a min/max rule on noses, sides from bottom to center to top taper out 1" then back in 1" both sides etc. I know their not "stock appearing" class but they do require nose to resemble so bodies should somewhat as well and eliminate the use of right side catching/moving air to keep cars straighter. A revisit of interior and deck with hood and nose as well would be good thing.

Bloomerdirtking
09-23-2017, 01:15 PM
imo that is one ugly slm, to each their own tho

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Not long ago, the decking had to be flat side to side and front to back. Lack of rule enforcement let them creep to this mess.

Jim11h
09-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Absolutely MB as right side could not dish either! Look at car and can see door goes down hill to qtr panel then back uphill to spoiler

JabberJaws83
09-23-2017, 02:24 PM
The car is almost shaped like a V. Fugly

james white
09-23-2017, 02:45 PM
If you will look at Bloomers rf fender he beats it up from underneath cause the body leans so much,and some cuts the front top of the fender out.But there is a seperate set of rules for the ones they like !Believe it or not.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-23-2017, 02:49 PM
If you will look at Bloomers rf fender he beats it up from underneath cause the body leans so much,and some cuts the front top of the fender out.But there is a seperate set of rules for the ones they like !Believe it or not.

Of course. I have seen identical cars with identical mass- produced body panels have different results in tech.

Kwd1253
09-23-2017, 05:11 PM
The sheet metal work reminds me of what they was doing in the early 80s late models.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1984+dirt+late+model&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9uJ2DqbzWAhUq5IMKHbl7ClYQ_AUIEigC&biw=360&bih=590#imgrc=8JIgOHzxlXk4IM:

Illtsate32
09-23-2017, 05:28 PM
Ya that's super ugly I stated in a post in the past it looks like the car is broke in half...

GRT32
09-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Ugly but fast

SHOE32
09-23-2017, 09:04 PM
There's a new pick from today of the side of this car and it looks much straighter. Maybe this picture was after a bump up in the heat. Pic is on DoD.

Dirtfan04
09-23-2017, 11:54 PM
Well regardless of how it looks, it obviously works pretty (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good because he drove from 16th and passed JD and Marlar and drove off for the win tonight.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-24-2017, 06:45 AM
If they let them get away with it, is what it is. Personally, the rules need changed, and enforced.

I agree it's ugly, I thought that car was ugly at Eldora. I like the red and white one. But they've probably been in a wind tunnel too, and know this works.

nc mudcat
09-24-2017, 07:30 AM
Car is very ugly, no matter what color you paint it. The bodies they run now look very good thru the turns, sucked to the ground. Everywhere else, and especially sitting still.....AWFUL!

STRONGERTHANDIRT
09-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Was anyone hurt in that crash???

tiger
09-24-2017, 08:54 AM
I think it slowly got to this point, but IMO its obviously out of hand now.
Here are the things I hope they do next year to improve it.

-Flat deck, side to side and front to back.
-All 4 corners of the Deck should measure the same height. (both back corners of the deck at the spoiler and siders right behind or over the tires.
-Doors should be the same height from Front to back the whole distance.
-Zero dishing in the front fenders, and nose flares need to match side to side, (most cars now have a 4 inch raised one on the left and a flat one on the right)

Highwayman
09-25-2017, 06:43 PM
I think it slowly got to this point, but IMO its obviously out of hand now.
Here are the things I hope they do next year to improve it.

-Flat deck, side to side and front to back.
-All 4 corners of the Deck should measure the same height. (both back corners of the deck at the spoiler and siders right behind or over the tires.
-Doors should be the same height from Front to back the whole distance.
-Zero dishing in the front fenders, and nose flares need to match side to side, (most cars now have a 4 inch raised one on the left and a flat one on the right)

I wish you well, but its my impression this is what they want, until it kills the sport. They couldn't attract full fields earlier this summer in parts of TN, so maybe that'll get their attention that things need attention, but they keep working on wrong end of car.

golddirt
09-25-2017, 09:23 PM
I agree tiger but, get rid of those dang nose pieces

Mike
09-26-2017, 09:40 AM
I have been talking about the bodies for years with every little change they got past tech. I was laughed at, ridiculed, told I didn't know what I was talking about, accused having an agenda etc. While most of you were focusing on tires you didn't even see what was happening around you. Glad to see more of you have finally opened eyes. I just hope it's not to late.

Mike
09-26-2017, 09:48 AM

I have been calling LM's the modern day wedge for a few years. It didn't happen overnight.

Illtsate32
09-26-2017, 01:27 PM
It has def been snowballing the last few years..deck heights are considerably taller than in years past...the tires now look like skateboard wheels because the bodies have become so big and exaggerated...

huskerdirt
09-26-2017, 04:46 PM
I have been talking about the bodies for years with every little change they got past tech. I was laughed at, ridiculed, told I didn't know what I was talking about, accused having an agenda etc. While most of you were focusing on tires you didn't even see what was happening around you. Glad to see more of you have finally opened eyes. I just hope it's not to late.

Yep, I was one of those people. I defended the way the bodies looked to death on here a few years ago. Mostly because they looked sitting in the pits, given that's when they are tech. After seeing the pic of Overtons car in the pits and seeing how the cars were bent the way they were at Knoxville, particularly the 49 and 157. I've come to the conclusion something needs to be done about the body rules.

Bubstr
09-27-2017, 01:33 PM
We will have the power to change the rules when we sponsor races and offer contingency awards. Money talks.

rolldog
09-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Bubstr has hit the nail on the head!

Highside Hustler25
10-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Not long ago, the decking had to be flat side to side and front to back. Lack of rule enforcement let them creep to this mess.

Have they taken that out of the rule book? All I see is them wanting a straight line on door panels and rear quarter panels. They really do not go into detail on deck rules at all. Lucas or WRG.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Have they taken that out of the rule book? All I see is them wanting a straight line on door panels and rear quarter panels. They really do not go into detail on deck rules at all. Lucas or WRG.

I am not sure exactly how it reads now.

Highside Hustler25
10-01-2017, 04:15 PM
I am not sure exactly how it reads now.

I can tell you how it reads. In regards to deck heights, it does not exist. Only thing remotely saying anything is no wedge bodies. That leaves it pretty wide open.

Mike
10-01-2017, 04:19 PM
I can tell you how it reads. In regards to deck heights, it does not exist. Only thing remotely saying anything is no wedge bodies. That leaves it pretty wide open.

And somehow we ended up with a modern day wedge...

Highside Hustler25
10-01-2017, 05:24 PM
And somehow we ended up with a modern day wedge...

I'm a little surprised it hasn't been exploited until now.

Mike
10-01-2017, 07:39 PM
I'm a little surprised it hasn't been exploited until now.

It didn't just happen overnight. I have been trying to tell people for years this was the direction these things were headed.

Illtsate32
10-01-2017, 08:52 PM
The last couple of years been getting crazy...cut down on the spoiler my god its about a foot tall now...

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-01-2017, 09:29 PM

There is a deck height rule. 39". It still says hood and fenders must be flat from left to right. They did away with the rule that the deck had to be level from spoiler 32" forward for some reason. That allows you to build a wedge car between the body sides. Which is what all the fast cars have done.

Mike
10-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Another one ....

https://twitter.com/K_Rob7/status/916682521324212224