PDA

View Full Version : Smackdown spindles on my wide combo?

Krooser
09-24-2017, 10:30 PM
Got a chance to buy a pair of smackdown spindles for a good price... will they be of any benefit on my '94 wide combo?

Thanks

Krooser
09-28-2017, 02:44 PM
What about longer upper ball joint studs... Used them in streeters but they don't seem as common on slms.... How would they improve or change handling on my chassis that's an old school setup... No spring rubber, soft RF, etc.

TheJet-09
09-28-2017, 04:35 PM
I tried a longer LF upper joint once (0.5" longer) on my '07 Smackdown, and took it right off (I forget the other changes I probably made along with it, but the car would not turn in the slick). In the end I raised my inner upper control arm mounting points about 0.75" and got the car steering the best it ultimately would. I since have moved on to a Gen-X.

Vaguely aware of the project you're working on, I don't know that I'd be over concerned with what specific spindle you use, as long as they match side to side and you have a spare for each side. I think your greater concerns will be bottoming out, etc. My Smackdown is still sitting there, bare, so if you want to get some measurements off of yours (say the height of the upper mounting points compared to the lowers, and distances/width across), I can compare those to what mine is. I even have the S7 stuff still laying there if you think you want to go that route. I don't believe we're too awfully far apart geographically, if I can help you out with parts.

Krooser
09-28-2017, 09:01 PM
Thanks Jet... I spoke with TWM today and they gave me the dimensions on their smackdown spindles... look like what I have... just planning on having a spare set (you should see me drive)...

I have that '94 wide combo that some of us talked about after I got it. I narrowed the right rear rail after I bought it for more tire clearance... a few other things got changed/repaired. Ran out of money during the '15/'16 winter then last year a knee replacement put me way behind again. Now my plans are to be ready early in the 2018 season...

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?346290-Mastersbilt-Chassis&highlight=mastersbilt+wide+combo

I'm doing the engine rebuild/repair first then the chassis. I have all my shocks redone, bought a variety of springs, new heims, new control arms. Hope to rebuild the rack and go thru the brakes, too. Still need a Bert trans, tandem pump and a couple more things.

The chassis is going to the frame shop as soon as possible... I know it has one front rail down 1/2" and over about 3/8"... got a good shop close by and the frame guy is a dirt track fan so he really pays attenion to detail with these things.

I ordered some aluminum last week for the body... I'm going to reuse the interior and deck that's in the car now.

I'm in Waupaca... shoot me a PM sometime. I had hoped to get to 141 tonite for the Dirt Kings Finale but didn't get home from my PT job until 7.