PDA

View Full Version : boyd vs accuforce spring smasher

grt74
10-03-2017, 06:24 PM
anybody work with both, pros and cons' haven't seen a boyd built one but it looks and seems like a good piece

collateralDamage
10-03-2017, 11:48 PM
We have both currently in use. They are both very nice pieces and are very similar in construction, feel, function and accuracy. The Accuforce was purchased used (gently) about a year ago. It is the USB model and it sees almost daily use. The Boyd is maybe a month or so old and lately we use it almost daily just to put it through its paces and cross check it with the Accuforce. Both are almost identical in function and accuracy. I prefer the Boyd when actually reading the display. The Accuforce aesthetic finish is a bit nicer. Other than the display they seem to use nearly identical components. We debated on getting another Accuforce or going with the Boyd. The Boyd is roughly $500 less if you get the unloader with the Accuforce (it's included with the Boyd). The unloader on the current model Boyd is much easier to use than the Accuforce. I do question the long-term wear of the unloader on the Boyd though.
Hands down, the better buy is the Boyd. My concern is if 5 years from now, if this type of tool is still relevant, will there still be support for the hardware (ie the display readout) should there be a catastrophic failure ( ie lightning or water damage). Especially if it is obsoleted by touch screen and automated controls.

grt74
10-04-2017, 06:06 AM
We have both currently in use. They are both very nice pieces and are very similar in construction, feel, function and accuracy. The Accuforce was purchased used (gently) about a year ago. It is the USB model and it sees almost daily use. The Boyd is maybe a month or so old and lately we use it almost daily just to put it through its paces and cross check it with the Accuforce. Both are almost identical in function and accuracy. I prefer the Boyd when actually reading the display. The Accuforce aesthetic finish is a bit nicer. Other than the display they seem to use nearly identical components. We debated on getting another Accuforce or going with the Boyd. The Boyd is roughly $500 less if you get the unloader with the Accuforce (it's included with the Boyd). The unloader on the current model Boyd is much easier to use than the Accuforce. I do question the long-term wear of the unloader on the Boyd though.
Hands down, the better buy is the Boyd. My concern is if 5 years from now, if this type of tool is still relevant, will there still be support for the hardware (ie the display readout) should there be a catastrophic failure ( ie lightning or water damage). Especially if it is obsoleted by touch screen and automated controls.

thanks for the response and info

grt74
10-08-2017, 10:46 AM
we did go ahead and get the boyd built spring smasher, it works just as good and the spring unloader is indeed very easy to use, the one other thing that sold me completely was when they have updates you can just buy the updates, and not a whole new machine, I've used both (now i have) both are good machines but the boyd will save you some money and the guys building/selling them are great to deal with