PDA

View Full Version : Fairbury American Legion Speedway Does It Again

CIRF
10-08-2017, 09:30 AM
I know this isn't DLM but given that it's FALS I thought it proper to throw some much deserved praise towards Fairbury and their season ending Sprint Mania event. They worked through some very difficult weather circumstances to produce some very, very good racing.

They had some big hitters from dirt open wheel racing in action and they didn't disappoint in the least. The winged sprint A-main wasn't decided until the last lap with Carson Mecedo passing Joey Saldana and Hunter Schurenburg in 1 & 2 and go on to take the win.

The wingless A-main looked as much like a USAC National Sprint event as it did a POWRi/WAR race. Big names in the wingless open wheel ranks like Robert Ballou, Dave Darland, Tyler Courtney, along with Kevin Thomas Jr., who made the 3 1/2 hour trip from rained out Haubstadt to start the B-main dead last and win it. The racing was absolutely stellar all night long.

Take a bow Fairbury! You're not just a DLM/modified track anymore!!

Crash 4
10-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Winged sprint feature was very good. Glad I made the trip over, late night though. Also there was alot of carnage through out the night, don't know how many drivers/owners thought it was worth it? Wasn't really the tracks fault, just a very fast track due to all the rain.

CIRF
10-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Crash, I really couldn't figure what Sunshine was attempting to do when he tangled with Kevin Thomas Jr. late in the wingless A-main. It almost looked as if the throttle hung wide open.

Brad Loyet probably set an altitude record for FALS with his tumble.

ptown
10-08-2017, 01:10 PM
What time did they get done?

CIRF
10-08-2017, 09:11 PM
What time did they get done?The wingless A-main ended just a bit past 1 A.M. Since my wife had to work Sunday morning we didn't stay for the mortified A-main but I'd venture a guess that it ended by around 1:30 A.M. to 1:45 A.M.

dmr37
10-09-2017, 08:45 AM
the backstretch grandstands were about 3/4 full which I thought was pretty good considering the rotten weather.

WisWildManFan
10-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Hats off to FALS crew... Was worth the wait.

ptown
10-09-2017, 12:36 PM
the backstretch grandstands were about 3/4 full which I thought was pretty good considering the rotten weather.

I was going to go but these cars being more of a curiosity thing for me combining that with threatening weather and if they did get it in the possible late night was enough to keep me home. Guess I’ll have to wait till next year.

CIRF
10-09-2017, 01:08 PM
More often than not the sprinters put on as good or better show as the dirt late models at any given track and Fairbury is no exception. Personally I prefer the wingless cars over the wings but they both have their moments. The power to weight ratio (1375 lbs. at 900+ horsepower) is impressive enough to hold any race fans' attention and the really good drivers do things with the sprinters that defy the imagination, especially given the added danger factor.

chathamracefan
10-09-2017, 03:17 PM
I waited around all day expecting it to be cancelled. Finally headed that way at just before 5:00 after they posted on facebook that it was a go. Got home at 2:30 but it was worth it. Great show. I'm sure better weather would have drawn more cars and fans. I love the late models but would like to see Fairbury expand their open wheel presence. That track is just great racing for anything.

We have lots of good tracks in IL but I am convinced FALS is the best. Also, the support of the town allows them to pull off things like they did Saturday night. Kind of gives the place a feel like Eldora or Knoxville where when you go there for a big race, you know they will do everything they can to get it in without being hampered by curfews.

WisWildManFan
10-10-2017, 07:40 AM
I'm predicting you see FALS on the woo sprint schedule next year.

CIRF
10-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Great show. I'm sure better weather would have drawn more cars and fans. I love the late models but would like to see Fairbury expand their open wheel presence. That track is just great racing for anything..I concur, crf. On one hand the weather hampered the event to some degree. But, on the other hand bad weather down at Haubstadt added a little more upper echelon USAC flavor to the mix with Kevin Thomas Jr. dashing up from Tri-State to join in the fun. However, it didn't turn out all that good for him, or Sunshine, for that matter.

A while back I asked a upper level track official if a USAC National show of some kind (sprint or midget) was feasible in the nearer future with the new catch fence in place. This official sounded fairly optimistic since most of the old guard hierarchy of USAC is gone. Levi Jones and Spridge are in charge now and the hatchet has been buried. I understand that there was some significant bad blood between FALS and USAC for many years due to a decades old disagreement. Lets hope Levi, Spridge and FALS can work out a race date or two in the immediate future!

DTS86
10-10-2017, 09:07 PM
CIRF, What happened between FALS and USAC? Just being nosey.

CIRF
10-10-2017, 10:37 PM
CIRF, What happened between FALS and USAC? Just being nosey.DTS, no specific incidents were expressed in the conversation we were involved in. The subject came up at our campsite the afternoon prior to the POWRi National Midget event at Fairbury. Some of the FALS guys were making the rounds through the speedway camping area and happened to stop at ours on their way by. I suggested that a USAC National event would be very cool to have happen so close to where we live. At that time we were told that past problems between FALS and USAC might still be poisoning the well, so to speak. It sounded as if most of the major players from the time of the dust up were no longer involved but there still might be some apprehension on both sides of the deal.

My personal belief is that Levi and his staff would be much easier to deal with than past USAC people and we all know of how proficient and efficient FALS is these days. Many of us who would love to see a USAC National event come to Fairbury have our fingers crossed that the two entities will get together. Macon, Lincoln and the small track at the Fairgrounds in Springfield that was promoted by Rusty Kunz were able to pull off a very entertaining series of 3 USAC National Midget events early last July. Fairbury would fit right into a series with those tracks. Why not make it 4!! I hope so.