PDA

View Full Version : Air shok

DErocket9180
10-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Anyone out there running an air shok? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages if any?

Austin34471
10-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Anyone out there running an air shok? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages if any?
One main advantage is it allows you to spend more money on your racecar that you wouldn't have otherwise been able to.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-08-2017, 01:44 PM
The idea is that you can make more spring curves and more easily make it progressive and progressive more quickly. IE, right after full drop. But, Austin isn't exactly wrong. Lol.

collateralDamage
10-08-2017, 11:46 PM
The disadvantage is that it has to be set EXACTLY right for what you need it to do. Also there is little or no control in the shock itself. The advantage is you may be able to run a higher deck height, or keep your static current deck height legal, which may not be possible even with a stack (dual stage) arrangement, as it is typically measured.

billetbirdcage
10-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Lets put one on every corner of the car, just like shocks 20 years ago that cost 159.95 and are now upwards of 1200.00 each. The air springs might be 750.00 to 1200.00 and higher, but wait until the tech gets better and get more advanced and gets to 2500.00 a corner in 3 years, then we can all have 12,500.00 of air shocks on the 4 corners of the car and the torque arm.

If the air shock turns out to be a bert trans type of deal, where it saves money over a reg trans, clutch, bellhousing and never goes up much in costs (last 20 years they really haven't compared to what you'd spend for a reg trans and clutch), then fine it might be cheaper but I don't see the air shock not going way up due to added tech and eventually be way more money in the end.

TheJet-09
10-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Am I also to assume you MUST HAVE a spring smasher to set these, or can you just set the PSI and go (sort of like we do with our current shocks)?

Of course I might be the only racer left who doesn't own a spring smasher.

billetbirdcage
10-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Am I also to assume you MUST HAVE a spring smasher to set these, or can you just set the PSI and go (sort of like we do with our current shocks)?

Of course I might be the only racer left who doesn't own a spring smasher.

You might if you just running what someone is telling you to do to it. But to adjust it, you really need a smasher as it just isn't air pressure as you can adjust the volume of the air chamber to change the curve of the spring. Air pressure mostly just raises or lowers the rate but don't change the curve of the spring much depending on the air shock design.

I guess I should have said if your wanting to change the curve of the spring rate thru it's travel, since the air pressure basically just softens or stiffens it thru the whole travel/curve.