PDA

View Full Version : Bert Gen 1 yoke...

Krooser
10-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Is an 8" yoke what I need to use behoind a non ball spline Bert?

let-r-eat
10-16-2017, 04:05 AM
Yes but you have to check that it goes in all the way. IF not you will have to machine the tail shaft so it will. The old berts weren't setup for 8" yokes.

Krooser
10-16-2017, 08:20 AM
I've heard that... I'm looking at buying a Bert in the near future... Have to stay on budget so it will likely be one I'll have to rebuild so I'll look for those longer splines.

TheJet-09
10-16-2017, 11:27 AM
^^^ That's my understanding as well. I use the 8" yoke. I first had a 36" driveshaft, mainly out of fear based on the number of rear trans seals I blew out/destroyed back in the earlier days. But that was before I did any limiting of the LR travel. With that now, you should be able to tell exactly how far forward the driveshaft is going to go at full droop (LR) and pinion hike.

I have since went to a 37.5", because I was playing around with moving the LR back in the slick and didn't want to get too far extended (I believe MB calls for a 38" driveshaft). But I do know for certain, that with the trans I bought new in 2013, I can bottom the 8" yoke out in it (meaning the output shaft is splined long enough).

fastford
10-16-2017, 12:02 PM
I've heard that... I'm looking at buying a Bert in the near future... Have to stay on budget so it will likely be one I'll have to rebuild so I'll look for those longer splines.

if you do have to rebuild it , here is a little money saving tip, the clutches and steels for a 1982 honda civic automatic trans work great , you can get them at about any trans supply company , last i bought , they were around a buck a piece , bert wants over a 100 for the set, and they work great , one thing though , let them soak in type f trans fluid for a couple days before installing them.

Krooser
10-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys... I have two or three driveshafts so I will have to measure them to see what I have in stock. I figure an 8" yoke would be the best bet... if my shafts will work with it. If not I'll fire up the hacksaw and welder.

The Honda clutches are a good idea...

Now that I have your attention I've been looking for the post here that talked about converting the Toyota 22R starter to work with the Bert bell... anybody know about that? I remember most of it... and I bought a starter for $38.00 so I'm ready to get going.

Krooser
10-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Update... found the starter info!