PDA

View Full Version : Best way to patch a Hoosier

Aggressor
11-02-2017, 07:29 AM
I normally use clear silicone and about 8pounds of air to force it throu the pinholes when I have a tire that needs plugging.. works perfect every time no issues.
That being said I had a screw stick in a brand spanking new lm20 while going through pre race tech and the silicone isn’t working this time

billetbirdcage
11-02-2017, 12:20 PM
The burn on patches that was used for tube repair was the only thing I ever found that would fix a LM tire that was reliable enough to use during a race, but sadly I think they are illegal now and you can't find them anywhere. You will need to make a new bigger clamp to make them work for a big tire like a LM.

Here is a video of what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennV0BVFZVw

Krooser
11-02-2017, 03:09 PM
I use Tech brand tire patches...

Racermb
11-03-2017, 08:06 AM
take it to a tire shop and see if they will vulcanize a patch on the tire. some will some won't.

CCHIEF
11-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Too much is at stake to use a patched tire, not something I would ever consider doing.

TheJet-09
11-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Merely on the subject of fixing flats, as I don't have a good answer, but I experienced an issue on two different RR tires the last two nights I raced (and didn't want to pop for new tires that would then just sit all winter). Each had a small hole in them, somewhere in the main body of the tread. I plugged them both with the old rope type plug. The 40 lasted two features without an issue (is still holding air), yet the 30 didn't make it through hot laps before spitting out the plug.

I know it's best to just replace the tires, but in my circumstances I couldn't justify it. But I would be interested in learning of a reliable fix.

96racing
11-07-2017, 12:25 PM
The combination plug patches work well and are available in several sizes for different sized holes.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Merely on the subject of fixing flats, as I don't have a good answer, but I experienced an issue on two different RR tires the last two nights I raced (and didn't want to pop for new tires that would then just sit all winter). Each had a small hole in them, somewhere in the main body of the tread. I plugged them both with the old rope type plug. The 40 lasted two features without an issue (is still holding air), yet the 30 didn't make it through hot laps before spitting out the plug.

I know it's best to just replace the tires, but in my circumstances I couldn't justify it. But I would be interested in learning of a reliable fix.

I have had a lot of luck with rope plugs over the years.

billetbirdcage
11-07-2017, 03:44 PM
I've never had enough luck with any glue on patch to risk using for anything other then testing or hot laps. Since the burn on patch's are hard to find and get anymore, there is some tools that are electric that melt patches on like the burn on ones of days old. I'd bet money they would work but haven't tried it.

The tires are just too flexiable to use any glue on patch and have it last, IMO. But when they are melted together, I did enough of them, that I was confident enough to "risk my life" on one that was repaired with a hot patch. Now these where tires that just had a hole poked in one and not something with a cut of any length.

Just is an idea of what I'm talking about on a electric one: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/BellRight-On-sale-tire-vulcanizing-machine_1988584954.html?spm=a2700.7724857.4.13.224 fa7a67lGMPu&s=p (just some cheap one I found search) again haven't used the electric ones but I feel confident they should work if you can get the right ones.

You guys could also try this place for the old burn on patchs as they are still sold just not in the USA from what I'm told. They may sell them to you and ship to the US http://www.camel.com.co/index_eng.html (Click products on the left) The company was bought and moved to Columbia.

VULCANIZING seems to be done 2 ways now and is a little confusing, it can be heated to melt together or chemically/glue which is what I found to be useless on that flexible of a tire

slmcrewchief99
11-09-2017, 01:02 AM
I've worked for 32 years for Goodyear. I've retreaded hundreds of thousands of tires. I've vulcanized several truck loads of race tires and atv tires back years ago. I would NEVER put a patch in a race tire. It won't stay. It flexes WAY too much. Understand I had the correct tools to make it work. That heated C-clamp that billetbirdcage listed is what I used but I used uncured rubber to fill the hole and "cushion gum" used in retreading commercial truck tires as a patch. The heat and clamp pressure will cure and bond the raw rubber to the tire. If someone has access to the material I would not be afraid to use it but only for local racing.

If there is a local retreader in your area he may sell you a few pieces to get you by. The problem is the material has a shelf life of just a few weeks and must be stored at 70deg or cooler and in the dark. If you use this method I would suggest to go get the material you will need and don't store it. The uncured rubber could ruin and could possible not bond good to the tire. Also NEVER try to use it on the sidewall or shoulder of the tire. WAY too much flex in the tire. I would NEVER try it at any special event. The risk vs reward isn't worth the chance.