PDA

View Full Version : World Finals provided a great fan experience without unnecessary gimmicks

Returning to Dirt
11-06-2017, 11:39 AM
http://insidedirtracing.com/world-finals-provided-a-great-fan-experience-without-unnecessary-gimmicks/

Three very different types of racing with three very different types of fans in one place at one time made for a great weekend

Barbecueboy
11-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Only gimmick is the tire rule gimmick......have they announced the official winners yet?

cgrace
11-06-2017, 12:33 PM
I agree good show by three different, however if you don't qualify well it is tough to pass on the track. I like time trials, but that track doesn't seem to allow for much passing in the heat races. There was more on Sat than Friday.Also, Personally I'd like to see more than one sprint qualify at a time, plus eliminate their dashes.Thursday sort of sucks for late model fans as all you get to see is maybe 9 laps of your favorite drivers. Hotlaps and time trials.

Hoosier
11-06-2017, 04:01 PM
My friend said the dust was so bad he couldn't see the sprint cars.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-06-2017, 04:08 PM

It was tough, but remember this is not pavement racing. Racing surface was smooth

Clayton_Wetter
11-06-2017, 04:21 PM
SS it's doesn't have to be dusty, just keep that in mind!!

Clayton_Wetter
11-06-2017, 04:22 PM

That's a bad deal, really no excuse for that.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-06-2017, 04:28 PM
SS it's doesn't have to be dusty, just keep that in mind!!

I agree. It was overly dusty and you had to b on your game keeping up w the sprints.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-06-2017, 04:30 PM
That's a bad deal, really no excuse for that.

I wonder if they were trying some thing new in the new track surface?

Clayton_Wetter
11-06-2017, 04:52 PM
I don't. They just didn't get enough water in it to any depth. And three big horse classes and tires burnt the *^%$ out of it.

Spare the water and spoil the track.

allbrandauto
11-06-2017, 05:06 PM
I believe they put more banking to the track and new clay yes it was dusty but a great weekend of racing have gone for 10 strait years all ways a great show that's why it sells out

Josh Bayko
11-06-2017, 05:12 PM
I don't. They just didn't get enough water in it to any depth. And three big horse classes and tires burnt the *^%$ out of it.

Spare the water and spoil the track.

You know absolutely nothing whatsoever about track prep.

Clayton_Wetter
11-06-2017, 05:40 PM
You know absolutely nothing whatsoever about track prep.

I'm going to pass that off as nonsense. You are just wrong period.

Sometimes things get stupid on here, and you just did.

Josh Bayko
11-06-2017, 06:23 PM
I'm going to pass that off as nonsense. You are just wrong period.

Sometimes things get stupid on here, and you just did.

I maintain that you don’t understand a f*cking thing about prepping a track. You make it even more obviious every time you comment on it.

dalemcfan
11-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Always look forward to the World Finals each year. That said I agree with one of the above posters about Thurs night. I will probably skip Thurs night next year as just not enough racing that night and could save a night of hotel. I know the vendors grt charged a lot to come set up but the Whisky River trailer was charging $8 for a liquor drink, which to me is reasonable, but across the way a cup of sweet tea was $7. I feel like the excitement has worn down for the four wide salute with all three classes on the track at once and it takes way too long for it to happen.

Side note- do not stay at the Hometown Suites off Bruton Smith Blvd behind Wendys. Total craphole. Room never got cleaned in 4 days and honly got clean towels once and had to get those from the lady washing them. A/c broke on Sat too. Many of the rooms had families actually living in them if that tells ya anything.

Clayton_Wetter
11-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Josh Bayko Josh Bayko
Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post

I maintain that you don’t understand a f*cking thing about prepping a track. You make it even more obviious every time you comment on it.

Go ahead and maintain it if you must, but that doesn't change the truth. I certainly do know track prep. If I didn't I wouldn't be talking about it.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Always look forward to the World Finals each year. That said I agree with one of the above posters about Thurs night. I will probably skip Thurs night next year as just not enough racing that night and could save a night of hotel. I know the vendors grt charged a lot to come set up but the Whisky River trailer was charging $8 for a liquor drink, which to me is reasonable, but across the way a cup of sweet tea was $7. I feel like the excitement has worn down for the four wide salute with all three classes on the track at once and it takes way too long for it to happen.

Side note- do not stay at the Hometown Suites off Bruton Smith Blvd behind Wendys. Total craphole. Room never got cleaned in 4 days and honly got clean towels once and had to get those from the lady washing them. A/c broke on Sat too. Many of the rooms had families actually living in them if that tells ya anything.

Yes if BB mods is not for you then thurs is a waist.

MC92
11-06-2017, 08:50 PM
I wanna hear about track prep and what actually goes into it. So if either of you (or preferably both of you) could provide us with some detail and what all that involves it would be greatly appreciated. I mean seriously. I don’t wanna just hear about blading it watering it, and then water it some more, everybody knows that.

ChrisNunn
11-07-2017, 03:02 AM
I too would love to know what the secret to track prep is. If you knew so much about it, why are you not applying to help out at the local tracks around here? There's a difference between talking about it, and doing it

Highside Hustler25
11-07-2017, 03:55 AM
I'll say I made it to around 50+ races this year @ probably 15-20 different tracks and not once did I witness the dust bowl they delivered at Charlotte. I realize it's a dirt track but what makes them unique when it comes to dusty conditions?

RiffRaf67
11-07-2017, 08:03 AM
World Finals provided a great fan experience without unnecessary gimmicks

So does this mean they did away with the toolbox challenge?

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-07-2017, 08:08 AM
World Finals provided a great fan experience without unnecessary gimmicks

So does this mean they did away with the toolbox challenge?

No they still had that. Prolly the last yr the way sears is falling.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-07-2017, 08:13 AM
I'll say I made it to around 50+ races this year @ probably 15-20 different tracks and not once did I witness the dust bowl they delivered at Charlotte. I realize it's a dirt track but what makes them unique when it comes to dusty conditions?

It was awful & i was really surprised it was that bad.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-07-2017, 08:14 AM
No they still had that. Prolly the last yr the way sears is falling.

Sears no longer owns Craftsman.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-07-2017, 08:16 AM
Sears no longer owns Craftsman.

Oh really. I didnt know that. When did they split?

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-07-2017, 08:18 AM

It was sold early this year, I believe. Stanley Black and Decker owns it now. Sears has sold pretty much anything of value to prolong the pain.

Wells Racing Photos
11-07-2017, 08:23 AM

Stanley Black & Decker bought them out at the start of the year...

golddirt
11-07-2017, 08:33 AM
That is true

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Ok thanks for the info guys

Barbecueboy
11-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Have they announced the official winners of the event yet????

The anticipation and suspense is just killing me.

W2Racing09
11-07-2017, 09:52 AM
I agree good show by three different, however if you don't qualify well it is tough to pass on the track. I like time trials, but that track doesn't seem to allow for much passing in the heat races. There was more on Sat than Friday.Also, Personally I'd like to see more than one sprint qualify at a time, plus eliminate their dashes.Thursday sort of sucks for late model fans as all you get to see is maybe 9 laps of your favorite drivers. Hotlaps and time trials.

It slows things down anyway to try and qualify more than one Sprint at a time, as you need to push them all out and wait for them to get spread out, etc. Lincoln did it both ways this year (3 on track at once, vs one at a time) and I think each way takes about the same amount of time.

Also, why would the Sprints eliminate their dashes? They run dashes all season at every event.

Thanks,
Jeff.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Have they announced the official winners of the event yet????

The anticipation and suspense is just killing me.

Check back next week and bring you lunch box!

Barbecueboy
11-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Check back next week and bring you lunch box!

Will do......it's currently getting fitted with the 2018 device.

Will be ready for action next week.

Clayton_Wetter
11-07-2017, 10:29 AM
MC92

I wanna hear about track prep and what actually goes into it. So if either of you (or preferably both of you) could provide us with some detail and what all that involves it would be greatly appreciated. I mean seriously. I don’t wanna just hear about blading it watering it, and then water it some more, everybody knows that.

Hear that Mr. Bayko? I'll let you go first with your vast knowledge (ha ha) if you wish. Have at it.

Or do you wish to wait for me? :)

Clayton_Wetter
11-07-2017, 10:30 AM
The quoting option on here has gone to crap!!!

Josh Bayko
11-07-2017, 11:07 AM

Charlotte had basically brand new red clay and a bit of a reconfiguration. Red clay tends to get really dusty for the first handful of races, no matter how much water you throw at it, no matter how deep you get it. After the first few races, it tends to calm way down as far as dust and generally makes for a really good racing surface. It also takes a few races for the prep crew to figure out what it needs.

As far as overall prep, you can't just throw a huge flood at it and hope for the best. You have to understand the composition of your surface and figure out your sweet spot with water. You also have to take into account what mother nature is going to give you every week before you even prep.

Clayton_Wetter
11-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Charlotte had basically brand new red clay and a bit of a reconfiguration. Red clay tends to get really dusty for the first handful of races, no matter how much water you throw at it, no matter how deep you get it. After the first few races, it tends to calm way down as far as dust and generally makes for a really good racing surface. It also takes a few races for the prep crew to figure out what it needs.

As far as overall prep, you can't just throw a huge flood at it and hope for the best. You have to understand the composition of your surface and figure out your sweet spot with water. You also have to take into account what mother nature is going to give you every week before you even prep.

So you are saying that they watered the finals well and got the water down well under the surface? And you are positive that the "hardpan" as they call it was not near the actual surface?

Were you there by the way?

When a track is watered just enough to compact and then had a ton of sheepsfooting done on it, it will not allow hardly any further watering to do much good as the water will just sit on top of the track until the track rolling process airs the track out and allows the very top of the track only to have much of any moisture. Such prep will not hold up long before the surface dries out and the dust and rubbering dominates.

I realize that new clay is can be dustier, btw, but do not agree that is will be dusty if the track is cut deep and watered well enough to keep moisture from under the surface from continuing to pump up and mix with the surface dirt. Keeping the track rolled in between races to keep the cushion from getting too large is a must on a well watered, and I mean not just watered on the top surface of the track.

Racetracks will come apart and get rough if the watering in the turns is not uniform in depth.

Now if you like hard dryslick racing for whatever reason, that's your choice, but a general rule I've seen in going to races for forty years is that side bite is not as good and the cars are instead of racing there is too much spinning,, with the cars always sliding out and having to let off the gas.

And yes the track can get rough if not done properly or rains hit at the wrong time. There are many variables too consider, including the total content of the dirt itself. Such as sand content. It's not like I'm asking for a "mud bog" as you seem to imply. I just believe that a dirt race track should get good traction and not be too dusty.

I realize that certain tracks can be rough on the drive trains, the bigger tracks like Eldora. But these cars can be adjusted to heavy conditions just as well as light dryslick conditions. Certain drivers of course would not like that too well. lol

Also tracks need good equipment that includes water trucks with a tank big enough to water a race track not just a garden. And some good enough equipment to cut the dirt up with, which usually means more than just a grader. many smaller operations sometimes just do not have enough good equipment and good enough personnel to use them properly also.

Josh Bayko
11-07-2017, 12:04 PM
So you are saying that they watered the finals well and got the water down well under the surface? And you are positive that the "hardpan" as they call it was not near the actual surface?

Were you there by the way?

When a track is watered just enough to compact and then had a ton of sheepsfooting done on it, it will not allow hardly any further watering to do much good as the water will just sit on top of the track until the track rolling process airs the track out and allows the very top of the track only to have much of any moisture. Such prep will not hold up long before the surface dries out and the dust and rubbering dominates.

I realize that new clay is can be dustier, btw, but do not agree that is will be dusty if the track is cut deep and watered well enough to keep moisture from under the surface from continuing to pump up and mix with the surface dirt. Keeping the track rolled in between races to keep the cushion from getting too large is a must on a well watered, and I mean not just watered on the top surface of the track.

Racetracks will come apart and get rough if the watering in the turns is not uniform in depth.

Now if you like hard dryslick racing for whatever reason, that's your choice, but a general rule I've seen in going to races for forty years is that side bite is not as good and the cars are instead of racing there is too much spinning,, with the cars always sliding out and having to let off the gas.

And yes the track can get rough if not done properly or rains hit at the wrong time. There are many variables too consider, including the total content of the dirt itself. Such as sand content. It's not like I'm asking for a "mud bog" as you seem to imply. I just believe that a dirt race track should get good traction and not be too dusty.

I realize that certain can be rough on the drive trains, the bigger tracks like Eldora. But these cars can be adjusted to heavy conditions just as well as light dryslick conditions. Certain drivers of course would not like that too well. lol

Charlotte tends to water the track like crazy, because if it gets dusty it creates problems for them above and beyond fans whining. Remember when they used to water it so heavy that it would come apart and and send guys to the hospital?

Clayton_Wetter
11-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Charlotte tends to water the track like crazy, because if it gets dusty it creates problems for them above and beyond fans whining. Remember when they used to water it so heavy that it would come apart and and send guys to the hospital?

Yes I do remember that.

I also edited post 37 and added more info to it.

Barbecueboy
11-07-2017, 12:42 PM

I'm sure mr. Cook remembers.......that year was bad.

Josh Bayko
11-07-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm sure mr. Cook remembers.......that year was bad.

IIRC, Tim Fuller, Jeremy Miller and I think Chub Frank also had hospital visits that weekend.