PDA

View Full Version : Thieves Among Us

Ben Shelton
11-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Recent events remind us that we have to be mindful of sticky fingers at the race track.

Read more at http://www.onedirt.com/features/thieves-among-us/

- Ben

Hoosier
11-06-2017, 03:59 PM
While hundreds camped and slept nearby, somebody stole the safe (and the $$$) at Golden Isles a few years ago.

ptown
11-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Curious about the story of how Brown got his helmet returned.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Did the thief return it for the reward?

ptown
11-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Did the thief return it for the reward?

That would be ballsy but you never know.

Kwoods25
11-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Had my helmet, racing suit and raciever stolen out of my trailer while watching my brother's class run. Sorry people

chupp n bloomer fan
11-06-2017, 04:47 PM
If you read in the comments on that story, how about the guys who had their wallets stolen? Three were 24hr Daytona road racers from Europe. You are kinda fuked for awhile, and they used them directly across the street. If more places would check ID’s, it wouldn’t happen as much.

Highside Hustler25
11-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Bill Schlieper had a tool box stole off of a 4 wheeler this year. Not sure if it was ever returned.

zyoung25
11-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Bill got his tool kit returned not long after the world.

Afroman got his pimp cup in Tennessee this weekend. 10k reward to anyone that finds it!

https://m.facebook.com/ogafroman83/photos/a.819159954762175.1073741827.814341585244012/1760585100619651/?type=3&source=48

a25rjr
11-06-2017, 07:22 PM
While hundreds camped and slept nearby, somebody stole the safe (and the $$$) at Golden Isles a few years ago.

That story was a little sketchy though!

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-06-2017, 07:42 PM

So is your creditability

perftrans
11-06-2017, 08:03 PM
2 years ago at a.r.c.a. race in Salem Indiana Kody Evans had his race bag stolen lost everything..suit,helmet,hans,shoes,ear buds etc.....

Brian Gray
11-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Told you all this industry was filled with scumbags! Ohhh but let Ben write a story and some how it’s different from the way I say it. Just makes my point that much more valid! Love the stories though. I had my wallet stolen at Florence. Shoes stolen at eldora. Wheels and tires stolen. Pretty sad really not to mention the time someone dropped a handful of nuts and washers in my engine at Moler.

dirtcrazy4u
11-06-2017, 09:30 PM
We walked up to the drivers meeting. It was horribly hot and we were not the first division out so I took my 3 layer quilted suit and under garments off. They were on hangers up in the nose of the trailer, the suit had my name and major sponsor on the front of it. We walked back in the trailer and I new immediately my stuff was gone. My brand new custom painted helmet was right on the bench, and they never touched it. To this day I cannot understand how they just walked away with a 3 layer suit and underwear and left the helmet behind.

dirtcrazy4u
11-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Well to continue. We made sure someone was always at the trailer door overlooking the car. We were on track and 1 guy had to stay with the trailer. Because we had to load up, suit 2 was getting stitched up with logo's. If I would have caught the thief or whomever I guarantee you they would have taken a ride in a ambulance.

Hoosier
11-06-2017, 10:14 PM

I think two guys were arrested, and the empty safe recovered.

TTS_JF
11-07-2017, 02:16 AM
It's sad that this happens, but thinking about it there are lots of times where all of our guys are gone from the trailer to watch a race. We usually park beside a couple guys who run other classes, and they try to keep an eye on things.
It sucks that you would have to do this, but it's the world we live in.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Vchild thought had his teeth stolen until he relised he left them in the mens port a jon

ptown
11-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Vchild thought had his teeth stolen until he relised he left them in the mens port a jon

Vchild or blackie using his 34th different user name. hahahaha

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Hijacking threads again I see. Smh

What you do best! Back to thread topic

Clayton_Wetter
11-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Brian Gray, someone really stooped that low and put metals in your engine oil fill? I feel really bad for you, that is really upsetting to hear someone would be that despicable.

flagone
11-07-2017, 10:27 AM
The Golden Isles safe thing was for real. They eventually caught the thieves and found what was left of the safe with some checks and things still in it. But the thieves had apparently used all the money for gambling. I will see if I can find the link to the story of them being caught.

W2Racing09
11-07-2017, 11:00 AM
I'm ALWAYS accused by everyone of being way too cautious about most things. I live in a small, quiet town but I have security cameras around my house. I have GPS trackers for my important stuff (Trailer, Toolbox, Race Car) and after the Brian Brown situation I'm looking into Black Friday sales for wireless battery operated cameras for the trailer while at the track/in the pit area. Its sad that is what its coming to but it is what it is. We have thousands of dollars in tools and equipment left unattended in the pit area, and losing that is more than enough to cripple any low budget team.

zach51
11-07-2017, 11:34 AM
When I raced, it got to a point where when I went out on the track, I had my dad (or whoever I had there) flip up the back of the trailer and lock it and the side door before he came up to watch. Quick, easy. Sad you have to do it. Tulsa shootout is one of the worst, and Chili Bowl. There is so much stuff in there. So many people, cars, parts coming and going. My trailer was broken into while at a storage facility back in 2011 and I never ran again after that, couldn't afford to replace it all. Lost all my wheels, tires, helmet, hans, parts, everything but my 2 cars which thank God were at home in my garage.

Illtsate32
11-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Stealing for gain is one thing but someone must really not like you to drop washers in ur motor...

PRCKartRacer9
11-07-2017, 01:07 PM
We race karts at a private club track. It costs adults $5 to get in and racers $5 to race, unlimited classes. We had a fellow Racer suffer a stroke so we did a benefit for him and someone stole all the money out of the donation box. There's one in every crowd. Even when everyone proclaims to be friends

a25rjr
11-07-2017, 04:00 PM
The Golden Isles safe thing was for real. They eventually caught the thieves and found what was left of the safe with some checks and things still in it. But the thieves had apparently used all the money for gambling. I will see if I can find the link to the story of them being caught.

Most people don't know that the office was a mobile home that many family members and friends stayed in during race weekends. A lot of the track workers were family and friends. That's the fishy part, knowing someone was able to steal the whole safe without someone seeing them.

flagone
11-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Actually the office was a block building that is still in place to this day. No one stayed in it. All payouts were done from this building. The safe was stolen from that block building. The thieves that took it had no tie to anyone in the office or at the track - other than they knew that it was there and that this was a big race weekend. There was no insurance collected by the Lloyds. This was a significant loss for them and they still paid everyone that weekend - including me who was working the event.

Barbecueboy
11-07-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm a Frankie fan........

One of the best long weekend racing trips I ever took was to golden isles for one of the early Super Bowls.......cool place.

a25rjr
11-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Actually the office was a block building that is still in place to this day. No one stayed in it. All payouts were done from this building. The safe was stolen from that block building. The thieves that took it had no tie to anyone in the office or at the track - other than they knew that it was there and that this was a big race weekend. There was no insurance collected by the Lloyds. This was a significant loss for them and they still paid everyone that weekend - including me who was working the event.

Take it from someone that is owed several thousand dollars from them. No disrespect to you or them, but they aren't squeaky clean.

flagone
11-07-2017, 06:19 PM
None taken. I was only speaking about what I know as facts about the safe theft and that alone.

a25rjr
11-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Heres the link from Dod:..One of the fishiest parts was the 800lb safe was stolen by 2 possibly 3 men. Maybe not, but that seems a little impossible in the middle of the night! That thing was awful heavy!

http://www.dirtondirt.com/story_1614.html

flagone
11-08-2017, 07:59 AM
These guys went to prison over this deal. The safe was found at one of their houses and had been cut open with a torch. As I recall the guy that cut it open was the one that ended up blowing the whistle on the 2 main guys. I get that it sounds a little unbelievable but it happened. I was there and saw the safe there and the next morning it was gone. I remember Dan Schlieper saying he heard something around 4 am but didn't look out figuring it was just some of the campers or other racers. He was parked closest to the building about 50 yards away.

fairlaniac
11-08-2017, 11:28 AM
A little different deal. At Cecil County Dragway in MD punks would come through the woods and steal things from rigs while guys and crew were out in the staging lanes.

riddle28
11-08-2017, 11:34 AM
i was running a super race this past summer and someone got in my truck and stole all the cash i had in my wallet while we were on the track for the feature. Also, a few years ago corey lajoie had a helmet stolen out of his car, the helmet popped up on ebay for sale about a year later so i text my buddy that had painted it originally and they ended up busting the guy for all kinds of stolen property

Barbecueboy
11-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Wanna have some fun.......buy you a wallet , stuff it full of some business cards and random crap and stick it on the dash , leave your truck unlocked and then watch what happens next from a spot they won't see you.

To really make it interesting and almost a certainty that the trap will be sprung.........park beside someone or some team you know to be sketchy.

It's a cool way to trick or treat year around.

Thieves su ck

ptown
11-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Now we get to hear everyone’s thief stories.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Lived in appartment complex near Rockford when i was yonger. Had afew things mising from my car over a short period of time. Had my suspisions as to who did it so one day knowing this pos smoked Marlboro... I bought a fresh pack and laid it on the dash. Sure nuff, the scum bag walked out of his apt while me upstairs looking out watched him help himself to the smokes. Went down to his appartment knocked and asked for a cigerette. He kindly obliged then I asked if he posably had a socket set that I could use to work on my motorcycle. He looked at my like he seen a gohst then went and got the set I was missing. I opened it and pulled an 18mm socket from the case that had my initials on it. I told him to give me the other sht he took from me or I would call to pd. He obliged. ;)

Funny story and how they stupid to let you use your own tools.
Btw were the initals LY?

Brian Gray
11-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Yes Clayton a few years back while I was helping on track someone dropped more than a handful of small hardware down my carb . As soon as I started the engine I knew something was screwed up. Found most of the hardware in the cone mufflers. I was pretty darn broke at that time too it was devistating.

Trax53
11-08-2017, 09:21 PM
I noticed a few sprint car rigs including Tony Stewarts and Donny Schatz back door were closed during Saturdays Feature at World Finals

Barbecueboy
11-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Hey ptown......i couldn't quote you , but .......ummmmm, this is a thread about thieves dude.

Barbecueboy
11-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Yes Clayton a few years back while I was helping on track someone dropped more than a handful of small hardware down my carb . As soon as I started the engine I knew something was screwed up. Found most of the hardware in the cone mufflers. I was pretty darn broke at that time too it was devistating.

Wow.....that's way messed up.

That's almost special victims unit stuff right there, sounds very personal......what I wouldn't give to walk up on something like that.