PDA

View Full Version : Afco M2 Shock Help For 05 GRT

CrateracerB12
11-08-2017, 05:06 AM
I have a 05 GRT with 604. I got a set of M2 Afcos I know nothing about gas canister shocks.. I do have the guide on clicks for valving but I'm not sure what to start with for as a baseline?? What valving would I need to set these things to? I'll be running on a high banked momentum track and other 2 tracks are much flatter.. What's a good valving to start with. I've already got shocks gassed up and set. Any help I sure would appreciate it!

7uptruckracer
11-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Off the shelf afcos sadly won't do you much good. Get in touch with a shock guy so he can get you right. Depends on where you are located guys will have suggestions of great Afco guys. The adjustable shocks will only adjust bleed. You need someone who can get the right pistons and base shim stacks in there for you!

CrateracerB12
11-08-2017, 11:57 AM
These shocks already been gone through by Shorty's Shocks. I bought them from a guy and he said he done them not too long ago so I just didn't know where about tinsel the adjustments for the valving.. Heck like in said I kbow nothing about these things much lol

Kromulous
11-08-2017, 04:28 PM
If you have the valving guide it will tell you how to adjust them. The adjuster on the Canister adjusts compression, and the one on the shock is rebound. Rebound, screw it all the way out, left, and then count clicks, count the total. Same with compression. I cant remember the number, but generally you will want to be about 1/2 way on both to start.

Gas pressure should be 100 psi or so to start.

Now if your planning to run the standard nose down, LR up deal run your RF rebound max, screw all the way up, right turns. LR all the way up on compression, and Rebound will be dependent on how you want to drive, i would say about 1/4 the way up (1/4 of the shocks rebound dampening)

The thing with M2s is, start at 0 and the count clicks. 0 is all the way screwed out on rebound and all the way to - on the compression. Verify that on the guide thou, its been awhile.

Gas pressure is a big adjustment too, once it slicks off and is smooth, drop the pressure on the RF, LF, and RR, and max pressure on LR, and LRF shocks. Generally thats what i do.

I recommend ENVY for the M2s, we have a set he works on for us, and i really like them, for the costs i dont think you can beat them.

Hope that helps.

fastford
11-08-2017, 05:33 PM
like krom said , ENVY is good , I have no faith in shorty , never seen any of his stuff work down here , did see him run around all week end at the ice bowl in short pants and 30 degree temps a few years back , the more he tried to help a couple of my buddies , the slower they got...

Brian Gray
11-08-2017, 09:23 PM
M2s are great shocks. They work well and parts are inexpensive like they said get a good shock person that will educate you in the purpose of shocks and have them dynoed.

A good shock person will be able to guide you along in the tuning process. I’ve been in this business for some time if you like call the shop during business hours 513-519-7745

CrateracerB12
11-09-2017, 02:02 AM
Krom I sure do appreciate the help! Gives me a better idea ton do what I need to do! Guys appreciate the advice and I'll definitely be looking into a shock guy! Brian I will definitely keep you in mind

Punisher88
11-09-2017, 08:18 AM
I also recommend Kirk Lousy. He is on his game with anything new that's going on in the late model world and is super easy to work with. He's blunt and to the point if he thinks you're doing something wrong which is what I like. Envy Suspension is one of the best, if not the best. Especially for working with us smaller guys.

7uptruckracer
11-09-2017, 08:33 AM
Have a buddy or two on Shorty Shocks Very Much Dislike them. BUT to each their own. What you can do is call Shorty and he can tell you how HE wants them adjusted. IF they were my Afcos I would call (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)son Racing Shocks, B&O Shocks there are others I just can't think of them not a fan of ENVY but alot of people love him but he does good work just not as easy to work with IMO

7uptruckracer
11-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Well it wont let me type DRS name apparently but ICKSON Racing Shocks with a D in front lol

fastford
11-09-2017, 08:47 AM
jerry link is the best with afco,s , but now that he works for afco , he is harder to get in touch with.....

Brian Gray
11-09-2017, 11:06 AM
jerry link is the best with afco,s , but now that he works for afco , he is harder to get in touch with.....

That's why you call me. I got the direct link! Lol

TheJet-09
11-09-2017, 01:04 PM
^^^ That's funny...made me laugh! But as for the adjustment, I thought you went all the way in and counted the clicks out? Or do some shock manufacturers/rebuilders vary on how they specify the adjustments?

fastford
11-09-2017, 01:25 PM
That's why you call me. I got the direct link! Lol

thats a good one BG , I have it to , but he made me swear not to give it to any one ,

7uptruckracer
11-09-2017, 01:41 PM
They adjust from "full stiff" so max compression and max rebound. The rebound can trick you because its as you look at the adjuster if its mounted on car from underneath. So if you are standing and leaning over the tire its Counter Clockwise if you are underneath its clockwise. I always double check looking at the diagram or mark it with a paint pen but its clicks from full stiff

Kromulous
11-09-2017, 02:18 PM
I know you can put penske internals in them as well, pistons etc.

Anyway, i may of had it wrong on the adjustments, but like 7up said its from full stiff, rebound or compression. just make sure you keep that adjustment guide handy.

dirty white boy
11-09-2017, 02:43 PM
call kenny smith of B&O racing shocks in mt airy nc or ht him up on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/bandoracingshocks?ref=br_rs

TheJet-09
11-09-2017, 02:58 PM
I have a set of M2's that Jerry did before he left SHY, and they apparently have Ohlins internals.