PDA

View Full Version : Slick vs Fast

minthess
11-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Poll: A or B period

A. Record lap times with two guys half a lap ahead of the rest with a mean cushion and the winner finally flat footing and fighting the cushion to a 5 car length margin at the finish over second place.

B. Five cars in a blanket finessing the bottom and the middle 4 seconds off the track record with the winner winning by half a car length.

A or B? Thanks!

fastford
11-14-2017, 05:44 PM
A , if im a fan wanting to see the cars go fast as they can with hopefully 3 or 4 at front and lapped traffic coming into play pretty quick , but for me personally , and still trying to make a lap , on my budget , i choose B .......

slmcrewchief99
11-14-2017, 06:01 PM
I'm not a fan of a wide open hammer down race track as well as a track that is dead slow from being extremely slick. We as racers and crew have to deal with each surface and all the problems we incur from those. Thats what makes what we do so unique and very challenging. The biggest thing we ask for no matter the surface is a multiple groove surface. Nobody wants a train race no matter what the surface is.

a25rjr
11-14-2017, 06:23 PM
I'm not a fan of a wide open hammer down race track as well as a track that is dead slow from being extremely slick. We as racers and crew have to deal with each surface and all the problems we incur from those. Thats what makes what we do so unique and very challenging. The biggest thing we ask for no matter the surface is a multiple groove surface. Nobody wants a train race no matter what the surface is.

Spoken like a true racer......B usually makes for a better race, but some tracks are like A and make it better!

minthess
11-14-2017, 06:24 PM

OK ..cars advancing through the field equally in both situations. A or B?

ptown
11-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Record lap times with side by side racing. Screw that slow motion street stock speeds crap.

Clayton_Wetter
11-14-2017, 06:38 PM
C. Record lap times with five cars in a blanket finessing the bottom and the middle one second off the track record with the winner winning by half a car length.

I choose the C. option since the other two options are not really valid.

Josh Bayko
11-14-2017, 06:41 PM
I just want to see a good race regardless if it’s tacky or slick. I’ve seen great races on both types of surfaces and I’ve seen stinkers on both types.

Highside Hustler25
11-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Hey !!! GIVE ME "C"

Clayton_Wetter
11-14-2017, 08:56 PM
http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/17967-Audience-Clapping-Gif.gif?1

davis2902
11-14-2017, 09:14 PM
A = Any F1 race

B = Nascrap at Talladega

C = FALS

The answer is C!

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-14-2017, 09:33 PM
Record lap times with side by side racing. Screw that slow motion street stock speeds crap.

I have never seen that. You need the whole track to set records any place I ever been.

NormP
11-14-2017, 09:46 PM
A = Any F1 race

B = Nascrap at Talladega

C = FALS

The answer is C!

I'd possibly pick C, but A would be a close second. There isn't a nascar race in the country I'd even watch on TV these days.

Krooser
11-15-2017, 04:31 AM
Anything but slick... cut my teeth on it on Saturday nights but we raced on the tack Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

minthess
11-15-2017, 07:31 AM
Anything but slick... cut my teeth on it on Saturday nights but we raced on the tack Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

You people listen about as well as my 15 year old. A or B

fastford
11-15-2017, 08:13 AM
there is no perfect scenario or a simple answer to your question , and if your 15 year knows anything about dirt racing , i think they would agree.......

muddy mike
11-15-2017, 10:16 AM
what Josh Bayko said

Kwd1253
11-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Agree with a lot what chief said. Dont care if the track slick or fast, long as its multiple groove.then its on the driver and crew get the right set up and right tire choice, to pass any where.

CIRF
11-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Almost without fail, the times I've attended races at Kokomo Speedway it's been balls to the wall fast with side by side by side racing throughout the field.

If C is an option we'll go with Kokomo!!

Centeroff
11-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Grade off all cushions and invert the top 8. Cushions are for drivers that can afford to fix spoilers, quarters and for a couple of the silver spoon drivers.. decks. A cushion is like turning off brake assist and damage on NASCAR heat and holding it wide open and bouncing off the wall. I will admit that I have seen some exciting runs from the rear to the win on the cushion but I'm not a fan. If your not smart enough to get your car to work on the track you just take your 8th place and get to work in the shop!

Bubstr
11-15-2017, 11:27 AM

You asked a question that a 15 year old would ask. Garbage in gets garbage out.

I want a track wet enough so you can see for the dust, but not so wet it ruts up. I don't care how fast, but it should have a bottom, middle and cushion all about the same speed. I don't want the track to determine the winner, but the driver and car and how versatile they are to determine that.

When a track purposely eliminates the bottom or the cushion, they have cheated the spectator and some of the racers. Some of them do better on the bottom, middle or top. No groove should be eliminated by the track prep, as we have seen a lot of this year. You can make one faster or slower to match the others, but it shouldn't eliminate any groove. Then let the racers take care of the rest.

Illtsate32
11-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Grade off all cushions and invert the top 8. Cushions are for drivers that can afford to fix spoilers, quarters and for a couple of the silver spoon drivers.. decks. A cushion is like turning off brake assist and damage on NASCAR heat and holding it wide open and bouncing off the wall. I will admit that I have seen some exciting runs from the rear to the win on the cushion but I'm not a fan. If your not smart enough to get your car to work on the track you just take your 8th place and get to work in the shop!And Pierce would still win zzzzhhhhaaaaa!

reid boys
11-15-2017, 01:55 PM
I'm just tired of seeing drivers using the asphalt line. I think the best way to do this is have a cushion that is not on top of the wall and having the bottom wet enough that you have to slow down to exit on the bottom.

No_Weak_Links
11-15-2017, 03:15 PM
In a perfect world slick is the way to go. The trouble is that whatever dirt you have in your region determines how you can race.....but make no mistake, the big money is made in the slick. Bloomquist has made his career dominating the slick over the years.

Swampy121
11-15-2017, 04:41 PM
And Pierce would still win zzzzhhhhaaaaa! Went to the Fall Nationals at the Big E last year. He was dominating doing just that, bouncing off the cushion. Then we had that long a$$ rain delay in the middle of the feature. The wet track caused them to move the cushion down and booby couldn't adapt. Sank like a rock lol

blncfn57
11-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Grade off all cushions and invert the top 8. Cushions are for drivers that can afford to fix spoilers, quarters and for a couple of the silver spoon drivers.. decks. A cushion is like turning off brake assist and damage on NASCAR heat and holding it wide open and bouncing off the wall. I will admit that I have seen some exciting runs from the rear to the win on the cushion but I'm not a fan. If your not smart enough to get your car to work on the track you just take your 8th place and get to work in the shop!

and again you show the whole world your ignorance of racing. What a horse$hit comparison.

Centeroff
11-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Blncfn57 the only horsechit on this subject is you gotta be a fan of the cushion bangers. How else could you explain a cushion? To be fast on a cushion you drive in over your head to the point that the only way your gonna stay off the wall is a cushion. The cushion is your corner and the only way to pass is to throw a slider bounce off the cushion and go. Cushions are for small tires modifieds and people who can’t get the car good enough to win without it. Only thing I like about a cushion is when they smash the wall or get a flat because of it. I’ll stick to dirt racing and leave the a slot car racing to you.

Phatdaddy
11-15-2017, 08:05 PM
I've always liked the wet/tacky Haubstadt-like races.. But the 2006 World 100 wouldn't have happened like it did if the track was prepped for wet/tacky.

Clayton_Wetter
11-15-2017, 08:38 PM

C. is the actual answer. People don't need to be told how to think. Sounds like the 15 year old knows what he's dealing with. Smart kid!!!!

Clayton_Wetter
11-15-2017, 08:43 PM

Center, I'm sorry to say this but grading off cushions is about the most ridiculous idea I have ever read on here.

Josh Bayko
11-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Center, I'm sorry to say this but grading off cushions is about the most ridiculous idea I have ever read on here.

I agree. Only time the cushion should be graded is if you start to get one that starts setting up only a groove or two from the bottom early in the night.

Clayton_Wetter
11-15-2017, 08:49 PM
I agree. Only time the cushion should be graded is if you start to get one that starts setting up only a groove or two from the bottom early in the night.

Yes or cutting down an excessive cushion some, that has become too deep.

Josh Bayko
11-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Yes or cutting down an excessive cushion some, that has become too deep.

Yeah, too tall or too stiff a cushion can become a pretty big problem. I’ve really only seen that happen after a Mother Nature has dealt an especially nasty rain hand during the week and you’re doing you’re best to keep it smooth.

minthess
11-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Wow. Now I understand why no one knows or even cares what's under JD's hood.

champion24
11-16-2017, 07:20 PM
B, slick and wide track! Multiple tire combos too! Speed is for NHRA!

Clayton_Wetter
11-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Speed is for the NHRA?????? I gotta go outside a minute!!!!!

fastford
11-17-2017, 07:51 AM
B, slick and wide track! Multiple tire combos too! Speed is for NHRA!

thats because after may down here , thats all you have is slick , thats why all the track records are bumped in the spring , but you already know this......

Matt49
11-17-2017, 09:26 AM

You let one ridiculous idea get in the way of an even more ridiculous one...and that's the part where he compared driving a late model on a cushion to driving in a video game. Maybe ridiculous isn't the word for it...more like ignorant.

Illtsate32
11-17-2017, 10:00 AM
One who has raced knows that running the cushion is one of the if not THE hardest thing to do in dirt racing...