PDA

View Full Version : Henderson Motorsports and Spencer Hughes Join Forces for '18

Ben Shelton
11-22-2017, 08:44 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 22, 2017

Henderson Motorsports and Spencer Hughes Join Forces for 2018

Laurel, Mississippi (11/22/17) – Henderson Motorsports is excited to announce that 17-year-old standout Spencer Hughes will be piloting the team’s L&D Trucking #10 Longhorn Chassis by Weaver/ Cornett Thunder Racing Engine Super Late Model in 2018.

“We had some good runs with Michael (Arnold) during the 2017 season, but we mutually agreed to go separate ways at the end of the year,” Henderson Motorsports’ Leon Henderson noted. “I don’t think there’s anybody from the South who hasn’t been paying attention to the incredible job Spencer Hughes has been doing behind the wheel over the past few years. He can truly drive car in any class to the front. We couldn’t be more excited to have him on board with the team for 2018.”

The 17-year-old Hughes hails from Meridian, Mississippi and recently wrapped up another successful year of racing, which found him winning in Super Late Models, Crate Late Models, and Street Stocks.
The opportunity for Spencer to join the team is one that he doesn’t take lightly.

“This is an unbelievable opportunity that Henderson Motorsports has offered me, and it really means a lot to me,” Hughes said. “To have only ran about five Super Late Model races in my career, and then to get this offer is pretty awesome. The Hendersons are giving me everything that I need to be successful, and now I just need to do my job.”

Despite limited Super Late Model starts, Hughes has already made an impact on the sport. In September he made history when he won the Southern All Star (SAS) Super Late Model event at Magnolia Motor Speedway. With the victory, the then 16-year-old racer became the youngest winner in the history of the storied tour.

Along with a new driver, the team has made a chassis change for 2018. They will now be fielding Longhorn Chassis by Randy Weaver.

“We’ve gotten to know Randy and everybody at his operation quite well, and those guys really have something special with their program,” Leon Henderson said. “We’re excited to have these new cars, and we’ll probably hit several events that Randy Weaver takes his team to in 2018, so that we can learn as much as possible about setting up these Longhorn Chassis.”

The team will continue to utilize Cornett Thunder Racing Engines.

The 2018 campaign will open for the team February 5-10 at East Bay Raceway Park (Gibsonton, Florida) during the annual Winternationals with the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series. From there the team will pick and choose regional and special events.

“We want to hit a lot of different tracks and get Spencer as much experience as possible in different conditions,” Henderson said. “He’s already extremely talented, and as he gets more seat time, he’ll only get better. I really believe that the sky is the limit for this young man.”

For Hughes he’s realistic about his goals and expectations for 2018.

“I know that I’m going to be seeing a lot of new places and racing against some really tough competition on a nightly basis. I feel like the only way to be the best is to race with the best. I’m focused on learning something new every time I hit the track. Every night that we unload, I’m going to be looking to win, but most importantly I know that right now I need to focus on making laps. I want to be smart with my equipment at all times.”

Henderson Motorsports would like to thank their marketing partners, including L&D Trucking, Cornett Thunder Racing Engines, Longhorn Chassis by Randy Weaver, X-Treme Graphics by J-Rod, Smith Auto Parts and MSR Mafia Marketing Services.

For more information on Henderson Motorsports, please visit www.HendersonMotorsports.net .