PDA

View Full Version : Building a modified

Nodrive
12-09-2017, 07:59 AM
I've built many stock cars and worked on late models and modifieds, ability is not an issue, my question is if building a modified where would you start the clip out at, the rear clip will be based off a rocket, should the clip be installed square to the rear or turned a little, line the left side tires up front and rear? Looking for thoughts

Lizardracing
12-09-2017, 10:20 AM
I'd start with a considerable understanding of your rules and the tracks you plan to race at. That should answer either one of those questions. I'd personally think about not turning the stub but instead moving the RF lower control arm mounts. The tech guys seems more likely to check the stubs because it can identified in the dark with a flashlight but looking for a 1/2 discrepancy in the lower control arm mount is MUCH harder to see.
I'd then gather up a plan and design of the chassis. find or make a level work space and lay the main rails and build from bottom up. I'd plan for about 120 hours of construction time.

stock car driver
12-12-2017, 03:08 PM
I'd start with a considerable understanding of your rules and the tracks you plan to race at. That should answer either one of those questions. I'd personally think about not turning the stub but instead moving the RF lower control arm mounts. The tech guys seems more likely to check the stubs because it can identified in the dark with a flashlight but looking for a 1/2 discrepancy in the lower control arm mount is MUCH harder to see.
I'd then gather up a plan and design of the chassis. find or make a level work space and lay the main rails and build from bottom up. I'd plan for about 120 hours of construction time.

most likely moving the a arm is ILLEGAL and is easily measured with a tape measure from the alignment hole in the frame to the lower ball joint zerk... IMCA/usmts/usra rules clearly state how to measure for this and the specs allowed.

turning the stub is legal, as all oem frame measurements remain intact

maybe hes running non sanctioned but you would need to ask... and he would need to know he cant sell the car to anyone in a sanction with rules....

to the original poster, beware there are people on here giving out advice as if they know something and they do not.. Im not sure what their purpose is even being on this site. Good luck building a modified from scratch is a endeavor. Lots of things to get right or wrong.