PDA

View Full Version : 9* Darts, widebore.

Kromulous
12-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Anyone out there give me any info on some 9 degree Dart WB cylinder heads? How do they drive etc. I just notice a few for sale, and it seems like alot of the widebore stuff is all 10 to 13* stuff nowadays. So i was wondering if anyone had any real world experience with them? not alot of info out there on the web about them.

Thanks, Krom.

grt74
12-10-2017, 11:20 AM
we have run them, as with any wide bore, its plenty of power, i think at 1st they got a bad deal, some said they were lazy, but we never complained of that, we would still be running it but it broke a rod, and when that happened it killed the bottom end

perfconn
12-10-2017, 11:22 AM
About everybody that has tried them hates them.Tony Clements says the only thing they are good for is forced induction due to intake tract being too long.I know where there are two complete topends for sale cheap.
Build a a 450ci with twin turbos and you got a badass street outlaw package.

Kromulous
12-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Thanks guys, just doing some research on them, its hard to find any real world experience out there on the web.

One thing i have noticed, just from the dyno numbers is the HP is relatively low, considering total CFM flow, and the torque is up. Another guy PM'd me and said there explosive off the corner and down on HP. I would take it that meaning on the big end. The flow numbers they tell you would think 900 plus hp would be easy, if the volumetric efficiency was 105% or so. I know dynos are different per builder but.

GRT74, what kind of tracks you mainly race on? i think your in PA?

perfconn
12-10-2017, 03:11 PM
No doubt they make great numbers on the dyno but on track is a different story.I know one dude that traded two of them to Pro Power for one 11* engine.Another customer of mine(steelhead) bought one from Pro Power.He ran it a couple of times & took it to Clements.Tony told him he could help it 50hp but it would still be down 50hp from his 11* stuff.Tony changed it over to the Brodix 11" & the dude wins with it now.

grt74
12-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys, just doing some research on them, its hard to find any real world experience out there on the web.

One thing i have noticed, just from the dyno numbers is the HP is relatively low, considering total CFM flow, and the torque is up. Another guy PM'd me and said there explosive off the corner and down on HP. I would take it that meaning on the big end. The flow numbers they tell you would think 900 plus hp would be easy, if the volumetric efficiency was 105% or so. I know dynos are different per builder but.

GRT74, what kind of tracks you mainly race on? i think your in PA?

9 degree stuff got a really bad rap (you know how racers are, very impatient) it takes the right cam package just like some of the sb2 stuff, the heads have to be cut for the dirt stuff to work correctly, but if you can find some of the heads from some of the end of the 9 degree era, they should work, early stuff was cut to big
bull rings mostly and we were never(in my opinion) out powered anywhere we went, jmo, but i just don't have time to build engines too (not that i cant) and my newer stuff is 10 degrees, is it any better, it doesn't show up on the clock, so you guys tell me