PDA

View Full Version : Ice bowl 2018

fastford
12-10-2017, 11:06 AM
It,s nearly that time again , Jan 4 thru 7th , Gone be a long week down here , Alabama vs Clemson on new years day , then ice bowl Thursday thru Sunday , then the national championship game on Monday night , cant wait , who is coming ? .......ROLL TIDE........

dirtdobber45
12-10-2017, 05:47 PM
I believe your a man up for them tasks bud. LOL... Lets hope its an all SEC championship

B_K
12-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Depends on the weather..... Go Dawgs!

Chris Thomason
12-10-2017, 07:27 PM
My group will be there at least for the Sunday features. Who is your pick fastford?

dirt crow
12-11-2017, 10:01 AM
I’ll be watching football. Pass on ice bowl.

fastford
12-11-2017, 11:03 AM
My group will be there at least for the Sunday features. Who is your pick fastford?

dont have a specific pick , I am friends and help a lot of our local guys , so any one local , i will say if hes in it , i will pull a little more for Tim Rozell , he,s an old timer like me...LOL.....

fastford
12-11-2017, 11:05 AM
foot ball is the monday before and the monday after , come on out and see us DC , I,ll save you a bowl off good ole deer chili.....

a25rjr
12-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Even though im a diehard Seminole, I hate Clemson.

I have always been a Saban guy.......ROLL TIDE!

TerryM
12-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Thursday thru Sunday? Didn't this use to be a one day show? I'm assuming Thursday is a practice day. What's the rest of the time for?

TerryM
12-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Depends on the weather..... Go Dawgs!
Yep ... Go DAWGS! And hopefully it's an all-SEC championship game.

dirt crow
12-11-2017, 01:53 PM
foot ball is the monday before and the monday after , come on out and see us DC , I,ll save you a bowl off good ole deer chili.....

Buddy. They ain’t anything at the ice bowl I care to watch. I’ve been to plenty of em in the past. It just ain’t for me. But yall enjoy. Hopefully the weather will be nice.

fastford
12-11-2017, 05:47 PM
thats cool DC , might be worth the ride down on sat for a bowl of that chili though...LOL....

Late_Model_Mark
12-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Friday is for multiple practice sessions for all classes. Then mid-afternoon will be heat races for the Hot Shots for sure.

Saturday is super busy as there will be a hot lap session for all classes, then time trials for the late Models, then heat races for the Lates and Streets.

Sunday will have B-mains, then features.

Last year the weather was sweet, the track racy for daytime conditions, a huge car count and a giant crowd that cleaned us out in the concessions after being overly stocked, and 2 runs to get more.

Heck, even if I was not announcing, I would get out of the house for some racing and catchin' up with friends and racers, it is a real fun time.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer

TerryM
12-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Another one day event split into two days. This is one of the reasons the sport is dying in the deep south. Very few promoters know how to operate a track.

TheMonkey
12-11-2017, 10:06 PM
TerryM: How would you suggest they run this event in one day since you know how to operate a track?Do you even have a clue how many cars participate in the Ice Bowl?Or are you just making opinions that are not based on historic facts?Please tell everyone how it should be handled properly and condensed into a 1 day show.Anxiously awaiting your answer.

TerryM
12-11-2017, 10:24 PM
TerryM: How would you suggest they run this event in one day since you know how to operate a track?Do you even have a clue how many cars participate in the Ice Bowl?Or are you just making opinions that are not based on historic facts?Please tell everyone how it should be handled properly and condensed into a 1 day show.Anxiously awaiting your answer.
This is a dirt late model forum, so my opinion is about that class only. This is not a huge event. They could easily run it in one day. If they have to run 8 or 9 other classes, then split them into separate days and run a full late model show each night. There's plenty of solutions. But splitting the late model show in half and running only the feature the last day is the worst idea in the entire sport. Some promoters eventually figure it out and some never do. Good luck.

TheMonkey
12-11-2017, 11:02 PM
So you want the promoters to change the format of one of the biggest races in the south?What are they supposed to do? Tell the 50 Nesmith Late Models to not come? Tell the 40 Limited Late Models to not come? Fans like watching those divisions run at the Ice Bowl. If you would have attended an event there you might understand. But you haven't...so you don't know what you are talking about. You are being speculative.You can't strip out those divisions along with the other divisions and still have the Ice Bowl. If you do then its just another race.

riddle28
12-12-2017, 06:20 AM
ive been to the ice bowl for the past 10+ years, you cant run it in one day. there will be 50-60 supers, 50-60 crates, 30-40 limiteds, i imagine around 40 602, 30-40 street stock, 40-50 buzz cars

Highside Hustler25
12-12-2017, 06:34 AM
With the temps below freezing here in the Midwest, I can't imagine racing this time of the year. Hope you folks get some nice weather for this event. I'll say, you're a hardcore fan supporting a race in December. Enjoy and stay safe.

warriorracerg9
12-12-2017, 07:48 AM
the weather is for sure unpredictable this time of year. we sat in the snow last year on the first try only to have it rescheduled the following week. we had on t shirts and some had on shorts when we did get to race. I agree the race can not be ran in one day. I have raced this race the last several years and always say I wont do it next year lol. looks like we are getting the cars ready now to make the trip.

fastford
12-12-2017, 08:16 AM
ive been to the ice bowl for the past 10+ years, you cant run it in one day. there will be 50-60 supers, 50-60 crates, 30-40 limiteds, i imagine around 40 602, 30-40 street stock, 40-50 buzz cars

there use to be 100 cars in each class , but even with 50 there is no way to run it in one day , I didn,t start this thread for the haters , it is for the one,s of us that enjoy seeing people from other parts of the country that love racing and sitting around and socializing with other like minded people for 3 days , sometimes the racing is great and sometimes not so much , but I have always enjoyed going and will continue to do so , my suggestion is if you have never been , come on out and give it a try , then you can form your own opinion .......

Chris Thomason
12-12-2017, 08:44 AM
sometimes the racing is great and sometimes not so much , but I have always enjoyed going and will continue to do so

This is what you have to keep in mind when attending this event, and just like you I continue going. I support all I can, when I can. Just the kind of fan I am. Ive been since Ice bowl XIII...just nice to get out of the house and break up the cabin fever rather its door to door racing or not. Might be wearing shorts, might be running heaters and wearing 4 layers lol @ our January's.

Since the big car counts were mentioned, what was the record five or six years back? 402? 406?

My prediction is a Casey Roberts sweep. BMS seems to alway show up and had repeated good results with McIntosh. On the other hand...if 116 comes to collect 6K$.... he just may.

nuff said
12-12-2017, 09:49 AM
And every now and then something cool happens,like the year when Joel Rice from Toccoa won it.

TerryM
12-12-2017, 03:48 PM
So you want the promoters to change the format of one of the biggest races in the south?What are they supposed to do? Tell the 50 Nesmith Late Models to not come? Tell the 40 Limited Late Models to not come? Fans like watching those divisions run at the Ice Bowl. If you would have attended an event there you might understand. But you haven't...so you don't know what you are talking about. You are being speculative.You can't strip out those divisions along with the other divisions and still have the Ice Bowl. If you do then its just another race.
You're right, I haven't been. But I'd like to go. No reason to take anything from the event car-wise or class-wise. Maybe run three classes Saturday and three Sunday. Complete shows each night. That way every class has a full show and fans can still see what they want when they can only attend one day, or only choose to attend one day. If it's a matter of needing the Supers both nights to insure good attendance, then run two separate shows -- such as a 4K to win the first night and a 5K to win the final night. Other tracks are doing it and it seems to be working just fine. If you like it the way it is now, then that's fine too. I just won't attend a split show like that. When they change it, I'd love to attend my first Ice Bowl. Might anyway at some point, but not this year. It's pretty dang cold here next door in southeast Georgia. Hopefully it's better in Bama.

fastford
12-12-2017, 06:52 PM
And every now and then something cool happens,like the year when Joel Rice from Toccoa won it.

that was wild nuff said ,If I remember correctly , he came with his brother the year before and decided to bring his car the next year and have fun , he unloaded , set fast time , won his heat and led every lap of the feature , and supposedly hardly even touched his car......

nuff said
12-12-2017, 08:53 PM
That sounds about right.I usually check Toccoa results because some friends race there on occasion and have never seen him win that I recall.

Wells Racing Photos
12-13-2017, 08:16 AM
I've not been to the Ice Bowl since Joel Rice won it, it's about time I go back...

fastford
12-13-2017, 08:38 AM
you will be welcomed WRP , and with the economy finally improving here , maybe you can make a little money.......

Wells Racing Photos
12-13-2017, 09:24 AM
you will be welcomed WRP , and with the economy finally improving here , maybe you can make a little money.......

That's never been the issue, the daughter's basketball schedule always had conflicts or the weather looked horrible and drove me away. I don't like driving that long for a rainout anymore, not fun.

Late_Model_Mark
12-13-2017, 06:28 PM
TerryM, I firmly disagree with most of your premise, there is no way in heck this thing can be run in one day. Think of this my Georgia racefan, so many of these teams are bustin' out new stuff and they need to shake things down. With the shear number of cars, just getting hot laps in and so on is quite a undertaking. We do not fool around at the Ice Bowl as far as scheduling. It is one class after another with no f-in around, trust me on that. No lolli-gagging at all. This race is actually a pain in the neck to get done, a good pain in the neck though. For the price of admission, you really get your moneys worth.

This is a event where a race breaks out, ya get to see folks you only see once a year, or once in a awhile. Terrym, does every race have to be perfect? Run in one day or within 10 minutes?

Even for me, this is busy event with a lot of stress announcing, but I love it.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer

dirt crow
12-14-2017, 01:49 PM
I tried to post a nice long 2 cents on the ice bowl but I got logged out and it disappeared. So to hel! with it. Not typing it again.

Chris Thomason
12-14-2017, 02:04 PM
I tried to post a nice long 2 cents on the ice bowl but I got logged out and it disappeared. So to hel! with it. Not typing it again.

Just a tip for the future in case that happens again, if you hit submit and find out you were timed out, click back instead. Then you can copy your post, sign in, then paste in the reply box.... Better than wasting your time.

dirt crow
12-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Super late model smarts, I got. Technology smarts, I don’t.

TerryM
12-14-2017, 06:58 PM
TerryM, I firmly disagree with most of your premise, there is no way in heck this thing can be run in one day. Think of this my Georgia racefan, so many of these teams are bustin' out new stuff and they need to shake things down. With the shear number of cars, just getting hot laps in and so on is quite a undertaking. We do not fool around at the Ice Bowl as far as scheduling. It is one class after another with no f-in around, trust me on that. No lolli-gagging at all. This race is actually a pain in the neck to get done, a good pain in the neck though. For the price of admission, you really get your moneys worth.

This is a event where a race breaks out, ya get to see folks you only see once a year, or once in a awhile. Terrym, does every race have to be perfect? Run in one day or within 10 minutes?

Even for me, this is busy event with a lot of stress announcing, but I love it.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer
Well I never said anything about running the event in one day, so I guess I won't waste any more of your time.

Clayton_Wetter
12-14-2017, 07:18 PM

They were seeing how many users might have forgot their passwords!!! hahahahaaaa

dirty bert
12-14-2017, 07:32 PM
I've been to all but two ice bowls missed one cause of a funeral an I was in hospital for another,I remember when bout everybody made the race, remember the party's at Dee Ford's place.The racing not great every year but most of the time it is I think it's more of a happening where some come for a race but a lot come to see people they see once a year

fastford
12-27-2017, 08:07 AM
well , looks like its gone live up to its name , future cast says low 40s in the days and high 20s at night , thank you guys up north for sending us this nice weather...LOL.......

Highside Hustler25
12-27-2017, 08:54 AM
well , looks like its gone live up to its name , future cast says low 40s in the days and high 20s at night , thank you guys up north for sending us this nice weather...LOL.......

A big negative 7 degrees here. 40's would be a tropical paradise where I'm from. Enjoy.

latemodelman
12-27-2017, 10:53 AM
I have wanted to attend this race. It would be hard to have what 340 cars run in 1 day. Maybe run all hotlaps and qualifying and heats on Saturday and consis and features Sunday but better pray no rain.

fastford
12-27-2017, 04:02 PM
I have wanted to attend this race. It would be hard to have what 340 cars run in 1 day. Maybe run all hotlaps and qualifying and heats on Saturday and consis and features Sunday but better pray no rain.

this is what they do , except they run the hot shot and street stock heats on friday , thursday is just practice for all , a lot dont even hit the track till friday which is just practice for all upper divisions , now from friday morning till sunday evening , there is nearly always cars on the track , and yes , the ole girl is nearly burned up by sunday evening but there is always several that are very happy , the ones holding them big ole checks , LOL , any way , hope you can make it down sometime.....

Clayton_Wetter
12-27-2017, 04:09 PM
thats cool DC , might be worth the ride down on sat for a bowl of that chili though...LOL....

Piss on that chili!!!!!!!!! :)

Late_Model_Mark
12-27-2017, 05:37 PM
If ya need any info on this event where a race breaks out, go to www.talladegashorttrack.com and click on the Ice Bowl section. It will have all the info on this cool event. This will be only my 11th Ice Bowl overall, getting to announce this mammoth event is even cooler. For what you pay you get a ridiculous amount of racing, you get your fill for sure.

Late Model Mark
2018 Talladega Ice Bowl Racecaller...with a raspy voice come Sundee night!

fastford
12-27-2017, 11:58 PM
Piss on that chili!!!!!!!!! :)

well, ok , piss on you fool........

Clayton_Wetter
12-28-2017, 04:44 PM
well, ok , piss on you fool........

Fool? And you would think somebody should drive hundreds of miles for a bowl of chili soup???? :)

fastford
12-28-2017, 09:07 PM
Fool? And you would think somebody should drive hundreds of miles for a bowl of chili soup???? :)

"no soup for you".......bahahaha , from the famous words of the soup nazi

fastford
01-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Just going on with you CW , he!! , I wouldn't drive that far in this weather to eat any thing...LOL , any way , the fun begins tomorrow , gone be cold but at least no rain and mud like it always is when its warm , that mud every where is about as bad as the cold to me , Late Model Mark , keep that throat wrapped up so you can provide your usual great announcing .... by the way , you can have ole CW,s bowl of chili to....

Late_Model_Mark
01-03-2018, 05:29 PM
I will eat a bowl of that grub any day.

Late Model Mark

Clayton_Wetter
01-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Just going on with you CW , he!! , I wouldn't drive that far in this weather to eat any thing...LOL , any way , the fun begins tomorrow , gone be cold but at least no rain and mud like it always is when its warm , that mud every where is about as bad as the cold to me , Late Model Mark , keep that throat wrapped up so you can provide your usual great announcing .... by the way , you can have ole CW,s bowl of chili to....

Can someone mail me some of the chili soup, urine not included!!!! :)

fastford
01-04-2018, 08:57 AM
If there is any left , im sure it will be frozen , so i will hit you up for you address and send it that way , LOL , Wellp if my old camper will fire up , were headed that way........

Hoosier
01-04-2018, 11:57 PM
I will eat a bowl of that grub any day.

Late Model Mark

Speaking of chili, are the toilets still on the "no good" list?