PDA

View Full Version : Will Francis control what he was complaining about or just collect a paycheck?

dirty-white-boy
12-11-2017, 12:29 PM
https://www.dirtondirt.com/story_9930.html

Judging by this story it sounds like he is off to a good start to being a Late Model politician. :)

formercrewguy
12-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Good read. I think he will be great.

TackyTracker
12-11-2017, 02:03 PM
yeah I do too

Kwd1253
12-11-2017, 02:05 PM
https://www.dirtondirt.com/story_9930.html

Judging by this story it sounds like he is off to a good start to being a Late Model politician. :)

Only time will tell.. But can't forget there are people sign his checks. If he see something not good for the sport, who to say someone above him tells him they going let that person do it. But someone has been around late racing long he has, it good have him in the position he in. As driver he can see how some things are good and what is bad long term.

HoosierDirtFan
12-11-2017, 02:33 PM
I believe he wil be good for the sport. It would be great if he was able to being thing back to where they where 10-12 years ago. Granite it will be a hard road to do that but with the knowledge Steve has and the combine time he's spent in the sport will be beneficial to all of late model racing not just the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series. Just imagine if he was able to get all series on the same page. Steve's always been an advocate of staying with in the rules and help keep guys wanting to stay in the sport and be able to afford to race. The more guys you have racing from top to bottom the better off the sport will be long term. The biggest problem now is keeping young people interested especially the ones with a short attention span.

victorylane
12-11-2017, 03:03 PM
I say nothing changes. Talk is cheap. Big$ control the sport not tech officials and IMO he's going to find this out even more being in this new position.

petesbuyin
12-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Quote:
My thoughts is to try and keep it simple as we can - what you've got to remember is, every time you stroke that ink pen in that rule book, you somewhere cost someone some money, so you got to make it for the betterment of the sport.
Steve Francis - 2017

Most important thought of the article.

dirtcrazy4u
12-11-2017, 03:51 PM
I think he is going to keep a eye on what teams are going to do. There not going to go backwards. Forget it, never going to happen. Think about this !! HOW DO YOU OUTLAW A PRODUCT ?? Manufactures spend enormous amounts of money in retooling, testing, etc. etc. I think all of that has to be part of the equation. The sport has changed more than most realize. A car today, including what bolts to the chassis, is out of date after a year in most cases. A 3 to 5 yr. Old car, well don't park next to me with that junk. Yea, Yea, I know the Firecracker in WV has let it be known that there house car has 140 races on it. I doubt it if anything that bolts to that chassis is over x ammount of races old. I have heard they have a ridiculous maintenance schedule. Personally, anyone running a SLM today on tour better have a ridiculous maintenance check list between races.

flagone
12-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Well we have outlawed nitrous oxide systems. You cannot run a turbo system or fuel injection system. We have outlawed traction control. We have outlawed the wedge car (well except for the ones we have NOW). So products can and are not allowed all the time.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Well we have outlawed nitrous oxide systems. You cannot run a turbo system or fuel injection system. We have outlawed traction control. We have outlawed the wedge car (well except for the ones we have NOW). So products can and are not allowed all the time.

Brake floaters, spring rods, bolts smaller than a hole, shocks with a spinning element, too many heim joints on suspension, spacers between roof and cage, even if cage built without rake, steel wheels

a25rjr
12-11-2017, 04:51 PM

So why is no series enforcing their body rules?

A simple piece of string and a tape measure is all it takes!

flagone
12-11-2017, 05:17 PM
No Series? You sure about that?

Hovlane
12-11-2017, 06:10 PM
He'll enforce what he is told to enforce or he will be looking for other employment.

klemmabyna
12-11-2017, 06:14 PM
good luck Steve. seen many former drivers attempt to step into a tech roll at the local level. tough job. he's going to need sanction support for all his decisions. which will be tough against series regulars and former competitors.

different sport, but I've played the same roll. be firm, fair, and consistent. respect can be earned.

dirtcrazy4u
12-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Flagone, really ? Nitrous, this is dirt racing, they run laps not a 1/4 mile. Turbo's, the dust would kill those. Fuel injection may be the only item you have mentioned that could possibly be brought back into consideration. The system could limit the amount of HP the engine makes by controlling nozzle size.

Drop Shock
12-11-2017, 09:56 PM

Is traction control regularly checked for?

TackyTracker
12-11-2017, 11:30 PM
sounds like nothing gets checked

Illtsate32
12-12-2017, 02:02 AM
I seen a 2018 car where im not kiddin ya there was 6 inches of rake at least on his roof...not front to back..side to side! its getting extremely ridiculous why dont they just let em put a wing up there get it over with smfh...

hucktyson
12-12-2017, 05:09 AM
The lucas cars at PRI had the back decks sloped 10+ inches lol. That would cost a few hours to fix and slow the cars down but that article made it very clear there will not be any changes.

blncfn57
12-12-2017, 09:09 AM
The simple answer to the question is "NO" and it's not gonna be any fault of Steve's. The sanctioning bodies know who butters their bread......

flagone
12-12-2017, 09:20 AM
dirtcrazy4u YES nitrous can and is used on circle tracks frequently. Not at the late model level so much but there is a reason why its in the rule book.

Turbos REGULARLY run on dirt in some of the FWD divisions. If it weren't illegal I PROMISE that people would have it and win with it.

Phatdaddy
12-12-2017, 10:13 AM
So why is no series enforcing their body rules?

A simple piece of string and a tape measure is all it takes!

Just take a look at the Series' websites and look who the title sponsors are. That answers a lot of questions.

Bubstr
12-12-2017, 11:15 AM

This quote and the statement of Francis, saying every time there is a stroke from the pen, it costs someone money.

Who did these rules cost and what was the given reason for them? Let me help. Nitrious, turbos and fuel injection where outlawed to help aftermarket engine business. they cost the low buck racer, because now they couldn't get cheap hp, they had to buy the expensive stuff from the aftermarket engine and carb builders. Take traction control, is it cheaper to buy flat curve spread bore engines? It does cost someone every time that pen comes out. Some can afford it and some can't.

I was around when they said NO2 was dangerous. Sure some dummies popped some engines. Your confusing it with Hydrazine, if you think it killed people. It's ingredients are 1 part Nitrogen ( inert gas) and 2 parts Oxygen. It just tricked a engine into believing it was bigger than it was as long as you put enough fuel with it. Cheap HP even if it was a bit tricky to tune.

The worse rules are the ones that are unenforceable or just too hard to enforce. Tire dopeing rules for one. Waiting a week to find out who won a race is ridiculous. Not showing proof of contaminants is too. May as well say guilty, because I said so. yea right. Building code rules are printed from the blood of victims. Where are the lists of dead people from WD40 or oil of wintergreen? This costs someone. Just put the carcinogen on a list and say if you use it, you are banned forever. It costs only the one that deserves it then. Who did the Rumlyey devise cost? Everyone that is inventive on their own. If some aftermarket parts store doesn't sell it, it's illegal. That cost the inventor and anyone that may invent. Now you have to make it available to everyone, for a price, to be legal. The well funded team got a break with that rule. There will be nothing you can use, that they can't buy. These rule books are a joke and I can't see how Steve Francis can enforce it.

Barbecueboy
12-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Wow..........somebody has fallen and they can't get up.

Push the button bubby,someone will come help you.

Krooser
12-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Bubstr has some valid points... If you want to see unenforceable rules look at a Wissota rulebook... 50 pages of regulations before you get to the first rule dealing with the cars...

dirty-white-boy
12-12-2017, 12:31 PM
This quote and the statement of Francis, saying every time there is a stroke from the pen, it costs someone money.

Who did these rules cost and what was the given reason for them? Let me help. Nitrious, turbos and fuel injection where outlawed to help aftermarket engine business. they cost the low buck racer, because now they couldn't get cheap hp, they had to buy the expensive stuff from the aftermarket engine and carb builders. Take traction control, is it cheaper to buy flat curve spread bore engines? It does cost someone every time that pen comes out. Some can afford it and some can't.

I was around when they said NO2 was dangerous. Sure some dummies popped some engines. Your confusing it with Hydrazine, if you think it killed people. It's ingredients are 1 part Nitrogen ( inert gas) and 2 parts Oxygen. It just tricked a engine into believing it was bigger than it was as long as you put enough fuel with it. Cheap HP even if it was a bit tricky to tune.

The worse rules are the ones that are unenforceable or just too hard to enforce. Tire dopeing rules for one. Waiting a week to find out who won a race is ridiculous. Not showing proof of contaminants is too. May as well say guilty, because I said so. yea right. Building code rules are printed from the blood of victims. Where are the lists of dead people from WD40 or oil of wintergreen? This costs someone. Just put the carcinogen on a list and say if you use it, you are banned forever. It costs only the one that deserves it then. Who did the Rumlyey devise cost? Everyone that is inventive on their own. If some aftermarket parts store doesn't sell it, it's illegal. That cost the inventor and anyone that may invent. Now you have to make it available to everyone, for a price, to be legal. The well funded team got a break with that rule. There will be nothing you can use, that they can't buy. These rule books are a joke and I can't see how Steve Francis can enforce it.

Well said. There is not a body on that tour that will pass what the tech book says now. NONE. So back to my original post and the fact that the new Tech Director was so outspoken to the cars getting out of hand, is he really going to enforce the rules? The only way to make them change is to not pass tech or make an example of someone and send them home until the come back with it right. (Walt Burson).

Krooser
12-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Let's hope Mr Francis has a say in the rules...

billetbirdcage
12-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Let's hope Mr Francis has a say in the rules...

Make no mistake: He gets to have input, but he doesn't make or write the rules that falls on Lucas Oil as a whole or the council. All he has control of is enforcing the rules as written of the time of tech.

a25rjr
12-12-2017, 02:41 PM
No Series? You sure about that?

NONE!......ask any of us who have worked on dlms. The body rules are not being enforced!

chupp n bloomer fan
12-12-2017, 03:58 PM
I for the life of me cannot figure out why they do not enforce the body rules.

A fukin tape measure, straight edge, flat ground, and maybe some templates, and bam. You either meet the requirements, or break out the cutters, rivet gun, etc.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-12-2017, 04:04 PM
I for the life of me cannot figure out why they do not enforce the body rules.

A fukin tape measure, straight edge, flat ground, and maybe some templates, and bam. You either meet the requirements, or break out the cutters, rivet gun, etc.

Me neither. But, in the Memmer days of UMP, Eldora tech was a bear because they did enforce. lol.

Clayton_Wetter
12-12-2017, 04:05 PM
One man working for an organisation? I don't see anything to talk about here. Things will basically be the same.

Highwayman
12-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Far and away the best, most honest post in this entire thread. To the dude offering up "Nitrous, Turbo's and Fuel injection" as evidence of rules being enforced is a few decades behind, I mean c'mon. Body rule enforcement is a huge joke. The sanctioning bodies have the same issues as our government, they ignore the people and pander to the lobbyist(manufacturers). I don't foresee Steve getting anything done except for being frustrated, politics, politics, politics. Money talks and the manufacturers pony up for what they want. The nose guy dictates what the body rules(cough, cough) will be and its whatever exaggerated bulldozer creation he dreamt up in the off season.

flagone
12-12-2017, 08:32 PM
I was speaking to the person who said you can't outlaw products. Not making any other point. And there again a25j you sure. Because I watched my tech guys pull string and add weight penalties at about 22 races this year.

a25rjr
12-12-2017, 08:36 PM
I was speaking to the person who said you can't outlaw products. Not making any other point. And there again a25j you sure. Because I watched my tech guys pull string and add weight penalties at about 22 races this year.

Honestly, I haven't been to one of your series races. Glad to see you enforce your rule book!

Now, if Lucas/Woo will???

Barbecueboy
12-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Honestly, I haven't been to one of your series races. Glad to see you enforce your rule book!

Now, if Lucas/Woo will???

Been lucky enough to have seen a few, they don't just talk the talk......

skicker
12-13-2017, 09:57 AM
My hats of to Steve for anything positive that he is able to accomplish.
I recently read the rules at our local track for all divisions. After not being around dirt racing for about 15 years I was shocked at how screwed up they are.
What idiot wrote them to begin with? How many times have they been cut-copied and modified adding information that contradicts itself to rules 2 lines previous.
Moons ago when I ran the rules were written a lot better. Especially those by UMP. .02

Illtsate32
12-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Slightly off topic but if the ump mod body rules are anything close to what they were ten years ago you can wipe ur butt with that page...the top 250 in points would fail every rule in it...

zach51
12-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Enforcing the punishment is just as important as enforcing the rule itself. Don't be a joke like WOO was last year and ban Madden for tires during a stretch where the series didn't even have any races. Don't let these guys appeal until there is a 3-4 week stretch of no series sanctioned races and then enforce their penalty then, that is BS.

Highwayman
12-13-2017, 03:28 PM

Well that's good to hear for Ultimate, but WoO/Lucas dictate policy anymore. As far as I can see they are completely deaf and devoid of any understanding of how race cars actually work. Essentially about 12 guys at the top decide what all the rest of us have to put up with or we can just walk away. I did, Hello non-wing sprints.

Krooser
12-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Both series needs to build a rules legal car and use that as a baseline... give the cheaters two events to get their car right or hit the road...