PDA

View Full Version : Metric Monte question

Dirty57racer
12-26-2017, 11:06 PM
This year while I was racing in Tennessee there was a car there that was a metric Monte 4 link with a straight bar that mounted on the right side frame rail behind the rear end and went to the left side lower control arm mount, it was made to pivot(on heims). Whats this bar for? Side bite or forward bite?

JustAddDirt
12-27-2017, 09:04 AM
used as like a panhard bar.
it would take all the side force off of the trailing arms and put it through that bar.
should help with suspension binding when car is cornering. that 4 link design has serious binding uses when side force is applied.

could you see up on top of the rear end to see if he still had both top trailing arms?
were they running at the stock angle?

Dirty57racer
12-27-2017, 11:32 PM
I was behind him while racing, I couldn't see the top of his rear end. I assume he had all 4 bars but I'm not for sure...as for stock angle it was a floater rear-end so you can change the angle by the mounts on the top of the pumpkin. Will that bar work with all 4 bars or is it a 3 link thing?

JustAddDirt
12-28-2017, 11:16 AM
it will work with any, even leaf springs.
most if not all stock style rear suspensions were never designed to corner at a speed like circle track cars do. they were designed to drive comfortably down road straight. you introduce the side forces on the link arms, and they bind up.

but you have to watch out on the arc sweep of the bar. if it is too short, and too much angle it will make suspension bind up as well because of the arc sweep of the bar moving the rear end laterally.

in theory you would want to mount it almost level, with some downward angle to rear end. that would keep rear end centered in chassis through suspension movement.