PDA

View Full Version : Your 2017 Race Season - How was it? How many races, New Tracks, ECT....

HoosierDirtFan
12-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Your 2017 race season?
How many races?
Any New Tracks and how was it?
How many different States did you go to a race?

- - - - -

43 Races at 15 tracks in 4 states.
Track - State - Number of Races at that track

01. Brownstown Speedway - Indiana - 1
02. Chicagoland Speedway - Illinois - 1
03. Dirt Oval at Route 66 Raceway - Illinois - 4
04. Eldora Speedway - Ohio - 4
05. Fairbury American Legion Speedway - Illinois - 9
06. Farmer City Raceway - Illinois - 3
07. Hartford Speedway - Michigan - 1
08. Kankakee County Speedway - Illinois - 2
09. Kokomo Speedway - Indiana - 4
10. LaSalle Speedway - Illinois - 3
11. Lincoln Park Speedway - Indiana - 2
12. Lincoln Speedway - Illinois - 1 - New Track for me: USAC Midgets / UMP Summer Nationals.
13. Montpelier Motor Speedway - Indiana - 2
14. Plymouth Speedway - Indiana - 2
15. Shadyhill Speedway - Indiana - 4

CIRF
12-28-2017, 04:27 PM
These are just the dirt late model events we attended except for Fairbury where we included the open wheel shows. There are about 10 other non-dirt late model shows that we attended, as well.

The best all around dirt late model show we saw all year was at Sycamore.

Farmer City-Illinois-5
Macon-Illinois-4
Fairbury-Illinois-8 (including the 3 open wheel shows, please don't hold it against me)
La Salle-Illinois-4
Kankakee-Illinois-1
Sycamore-Illinois-1
Peoria-Illinois-1
Tri-City-Illinois-1
Jacksonville-Illinois-1
Lincoln-Illinois-1

MI Dirt Fan
12-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Went to 3 races.

Chris Thomason
12-28-2017, 04:57 PM
I think I made it out 40+/- times counting drag races. Entertaining year all round and the Lucas at duck river getting moved to Sunday was a huge bonus. My new tracks were Boyd's and Rome. State were Al. of course, MS, TN, and GA. Hope you guys get to see all the racing you want in 18

drunkinashortbus
12-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Made it back to Fairbury for the 1st time in yrs and it was good time!! This year besides Fairbury I went to Attica 5 times Eldora for all the Late Model shows. Florence 3 times Mansfield 3 times, Muskingum twice, Atomic, Oakshade, Wayne County once. Had plans to do the Ohio speedweek and it was pretty much all cancelled. Looking for more traveling this coming yr. Staring with Arizona I was out there 3 yrs ago and then east bay week.

TTS_JF
12-28-2017, 05:16 PM
52 Races at 16 tracks in 4 states which ended with the Dome. The only new track was Route 44, formerly Union County/Whitewater in Indiana.

Looking forward to next season, but since the hangover was re-scheduled to Saturday; I might get one more race in this year.

bill39
12-28-2017, 05:19 PM
40 races 24 different tracks 6 new tracks (ponderosa, florence, lincoln, fairbury, jacksonville, and knoxville) 6 states best race i seen would be a tie between florence spring nationals and lawrenceburg indiana midget week

Shiny Side Up 18
12-28-2017, 05:43 PM
53 races at 19 different tracks.

Josh Bayko
12-28-2017, 05:54 PM
I had some health issues about the first half of season and only made it to 4 races. 2 at Lernerville and 2 at PPMS.

old84
12-28-2017, 10:40 PM
had a pretty normal season 62 races at 19 different track in 4 states. not doing as many longer road trips and staying more around home tracks of tri city motor speedway and merritt speedway much more. trying to enjoy our place up north more often which is ok with me. most of my travelling days are pretty much over compared to a few years ago. seems harder and harder to do the longer road trips the older I get. still looking forward to my annual trip to florida for speedweeks though.

latemodelman
12-29-2017, 06:51 AM
I attended 6 races this year. Eldora was 3, Went to the April late model race, World 100 and 4 crown on Saturday. Waynesfield went in June, then August to the Hewitt, and then to the big Sprintcar race.

Pennsboro23
12-29-2017, 07:15 AM
I stopped counting at 24. I usually write them down as I go but I slacked off this year. Visited a lot of tracks all over the place though and a few new ones. Tracks with a * were first time tracks for me.

Tyler County Speedway
Ohio Valley Speedway
I-77 Raceway Park
Atomic Speedway
Skyline Speedway
Portsmouth Raceway Park
Midway Speedway
Legendary Hilltop Speedway
Mansfield Motor Speedway *
Eldora Speedway
Bedford Speedway *
Virginia Motor Speedway *
Fairbury American Legion Speedway *

nc mudcat
12-29-2017, 07:23 AM
Not many races this year at all, due to lots going on at home, work and church (all much more important to me than the races). I did hit 3 at Bowman Gray Stadium, went to 311 speedway twice, and while on vacation up north, made it to a NASCAR modified tour race at Stafford Conn, where I got to see Ted Christopher race one last time.

amusall
12-29-2017, 07:37 AM
Only made it to a couple shows myself this year with so much going on but it was a pretty diverse season. Unfortunately only made one dirt late model show. Chili Bowl (1st time), Eldora - USAC Sprint & WoO Sprints, Lernerville - WoO Late Models, Bristol- NASCAR Modifieds and Trucks, Perry- Asphalt Modifieds My best friend starting running the NASCAR modified tour a couple years ago so naturally Im being pulled in that direction. My New Years resolution is to get back to a couple big dirt late model races in 2018. FALS is number one on my list, never been. Any advice/suggestions for tickets & camping?

pink floyd
12-29-2017, 09:47 AM
went to 60+ races in 5 states, and went to 2 new tracks.

brsteg
12-29-2017, 09:58 AM
61 races (New Track Record) in 10 states; OH, KY, GA, VA, NC, TN, IN, SC, AL, FL @ a total of 26 different tracks/venues. (GA, VA, and FL were all new race states)

Had a really good mix of Sprints, Midgets, Late Models, but a ton of NASCAR races this past year. (#ThanksLarson)

New Tracks: Martinsville Speedway, Friendship Motor Speedway, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Homestead Miami Speedway, Freedom Hall (Arenacross), US Bank Arena (Arenacross), Montpelier Motor Speedway, I-69 Gas City Speedway, & Kokomo Speedway.

Race of the Year: April 15 * Schaeffer’s Spring Nationals Series Late Models $5K to win Florence Speedway winner: Brandon Overton
1st Runner Up: Oct 29 * First Data 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Martinsville winner: Kyle Busch
2nd Runner Up: Aug 11-12 * “35th Annual Sunoco North/South 100” Lucas Oil Late Model Series $50K to win Florence Speedway winner: Tim McCreadie

Driver I saw win the most: Kyle Busch (6)
2nd most: Scott Bloomquist & Brandon Overton (4)
Several tied for 3rd with 3 wins including Kevin Thomas, Jr. in 2 different cars within a month.

Most races at one track: Eldora (10)

Personal highlights were seeing Christopher Bell win 2 truck races and win the championship; and being able to do 3 nights of Midget Week all at new tracks for me, which was part of 6 straight nights of attending races. (with not one vacation day taken. O.O )

RiffRaf67
12-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Typical year, I had 42 races in this year, with a couple rainouts, in OH, PA and IA.

New tracks were in Eastern PA area: Williams Grove, Lincoln, Path Valley, Hagerstown (MD) and Grandview.
Fell in love with The Grove instantly and I will go back. I highly recommend any of those new ones to anyone, esp if you are a 410 winged sprint fan. The PA Posse are awesome hosts and great fun to hang out with, made new friends every night at every new track I went to.

Best performance I saw all year was 32 BP transfering out of the Bmain at the Dream.
Honorable mentions to 14 Bell racing up to 2nd in the Royal (just needed a caution) and to 57 Larson winning 3 in a row vs PA Posse.
Closest finish was Dave Blaney edging out Chad Kemenah at the line, out of the last corner at AtomiKC Speedway.
Best night of racing action was at Lincoln speedway: Dietrich, Hodnett, Abreu and Rahmer put on quite a show during their 1st PA speedweek race.

dmr37
12-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Fairbury, IL (3), Sycamore, IL (2), Grundy, IL (14), Tri-City, IL (2), Rt 66, IL (1), Oakshade, OH (1), Slinger, WI (1) (new track), Boone, IA (1), Marshalltown, IA (1) (new track)

allWIS1
12-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Made it to 46 races at 30 different tracks. Attended races in 10 different states with 12 of them new tracks. Made it to my 200th different track lifetime in September at Plymouth Speedway in Plymouth,IN

FastEd95
12-29-2017, 12:38 PM
Had kind of a weak year - made it to 47 shows at 25 tracks in 4 states - lots of weather problems throughout. Jackson, MN - 5; Fairmont, MN - 5; Davenport, IA - 4; Independence, IA - 3; Boone, IA - 2; Cresco, IA -2; Farley, IA - 2; Dubuque, IA -2; Algona, IA - 2; Webster City, IA - 2; Lansing, MN - 2; Spring Valley, MN - 2; East Moline, IL - 2; Britt, IA - 1; Burlington, IA - 1; Knoxville, IA - 1; West Liberty, IA - 1; Tipton, IA - 1; Marshalltown, IA - 1; West Union, IA - 1; Columbus Junction, IA - 1; Kasson, MN - 1; Montevideo, MN - 1 (new track); Fountain City, WI - 1; Menomonie, WI - 1.

CIRF
12-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Had kind of a weak year - made it to 47 shows at 25 tracks in 4 states - lots of weather problems throughout. Jackson, MN - 5 Fairmont, MN - 5 Davenport, IA - 4 Independence, IA - 3 Boone, IA - 2 Cresco, IA -2 Farley, IA - 2 Dubuque, IA -2 Algona, IA - 2 Webster City, IA - 2 Lansing, MN - 2 Spring Valley, MN - 2 East Moline, IL - 2 Britt, IA - 1 Burlington, IA - 1 Knoxville, IA - 1 West Liberty, IA - 1 Tipton, IA - 1 Marshalltown, IA - 1 West Union, IA - 1 Columbus Junction, IA - 1 Kasson, MN - 1 Montevideo, MN - 1 (new track) Fountain City, WI - 1 Menomonie, WI - 1FastEd, I've been to the Kasson, MN racetrack but it's been over a decade since the last time. It's a county fairgrounds, isn't it? Do they race there on a weekly basis and what are the divisions?

FastEd95
12-29-2017, 12:55 PM
FastEd, I've been to the Kasson, MN racetrack but it's been over a decade since the last time. It's a county fairgrounds, isn't it? Do they race there on a weekly basis and what are the divisions? Yes, it's an old fairgrounds, the Dodge County Speedway. Sadly, they're down to just one race a year now, at the fair in July. They haven't had a weekly show that lasted the entire season for quite a few years. I hope they can keep running the fair race - this year they had a nice field of USRA Mods and B-Mods and an excellent racetrack for only running once a year. Back in the '70s and '80s, Kasson was "the place to be" in southern Minnesota.

CIRF
12-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Yes, it's an old fairgrounds, the Dodge County Speedway. Sadly, they're down to just one race a year now, at the fair in July. They haven't had a weekly show that lasted the entire season for quite a few years. I hope they can keep running the fair race - this year they had a nice field of USRA Mods and B-Mods and an excellent racetrack for only running once a year. Back in the '70s and '80s, Kasson was "the place to be" in southern Minnesota.

Thanks for the update. It's sad that they are down to just one race a year. It is a nice, well kept facility. We were there last around 2000 or 2001 IIRC. At that time we happened to be in Rochester over a summer weekend and ventured west over to Kasson. Glad we did.

zyoung25
12-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Around 35 races this year. 2 new tracks, Smokey mountain and golden ilse. Was supposed to make it to Macon, but it got rained out and we couldn't go to the make up date.

flagone
12-29-2017, 09:35 PM
This was always my favorite kind of thread on this board.

Lets see 4 at Arizona Speedway (New track)
3 Screven Motor Speedway
2 North Georgia
2 Virginia Motor Speedway
3 Modoc Raceway
2 Senoia Raceway
2 Dixie Speedway
1 Rome Speedway
1 Laurens County Speedway
2 Lavonia Speedway
1 Dublin Motor Speedway
1 Carolina Speedway
2 Volunteer Speedway
1 Crossville Speedway
1 311 Motor Speedway
1 The Dome at Americas Center
1 Travelers Rest Speedway
1 Cherokee Speedway
1 Volusia Speedway
1 Dirt Track at Charlotte
1 Florence Speedway

34 shows. 9 states.

Krooser
12-29-2017, 10:59 PM
Worked full time this past summer well into October...made my second voyage to the Prarie Dirt Classic. Made one trip to Plymouth, WI to help out fellow 4m'er Adam Janke with his SLM. I think I was at Shawano about five nights... I worked most Saturdays until 8pm.

With two local tracks now gone (Oshkosh and Manitowoc) you would think the racing scene is down but we will have the new track in Chilton (Gravity Park) and there are rumors the 1/2 mile at Antigo may come back if only for a limited schedule.

Outagamie Speedway at Seymour is alive and well and that's good.

Still planning on running my old Mastersbilt in 2018 at Shawano... might use the # 4M if I can score a $100,000 sponsorship from Blackie...

kd1
12-29-2017, 11:43 PM
I went to 35 races at 23 tracks .. went to 3 new tracks (Spoon River, Wheatland, Attica) .. not too bad since I spent about 5 months out of country due to work.

Mindwalker
12-30-2017, 12:52 AM
I never keep track of where I went but was as far as San Diego but none can compare to what I seen dam near in my oun backyard... As CIRF said... Sycamore!!

Mindwalker
12-30-2017, 01:00 AM
Still planning on running my old Mastersbilt in 2018 at Shawano... might use the # 4M if I can score a $100,000 sponsorship from Blackie...
With all the hrs. you put to the grind stone.... 100,000 grand should be no problem to put up for yourself... but I'm willing to help out. 😎

93Nelson
12-30-2017, 08:45 AM
I raced 22 nights.
21 circle/1 rally race.
2 states/5 tracks
Stuart, Boone, Bloomfield, Eldon, Osky rally race (Iowa) Bethany (Missouri)
10 top 5s
15 top 10s
4 heat wins
Best year I had even though I went winless this year.
Lead 24 of 25 laps at a $1,000 to win show at Stuart. Lost by half a car.
Finished 3rd at the Ron Little at Stuart.

Spectator at Knoxville LM Nats. Wednesday show at the Super Nationals, and a figure 8 race at Indianola.

Josh Bayko
12-30-2017, 08:52 AM
I raced 22 nights.
21 circle/1 rally race.
2 states/5 tracks
Stuart, Boone, Bloomfield, Eldon, Osky rally race (Iowa) Bethany (Missouri)
10 top 5s
15 top 10s
4 heat wins
Best year I had even though I went winless this year.
Lead 24 of 25 laps at a $1,000 to win show at Stuart. Lost by half a car.
Finished 3rd at the Ron Little at Stuart.

Spectator at Knoxville LM Nats. Wednesday show at the Super Nationals, and a figure 8 race at Indianola.

Rally racing looks like it would be crazy fun. Was it?

TackyTracker
12-30-2017, 09:07 AM
jealous of most of you.. hoping 2018 I'll get out more

93Nelson
12-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Rally racing looks like it would be crazy fun. Was it?
It was more of a redneck rally race, not like what you see in tv. Haha. I wish it was. It was the first time they did it and had 130-140 cars so up and it was a blast! Lost the heat race by a bumper after starting last. Broke a inner tie rod in the bmain after hitting a implement tire. They started like 40 cars in the main and it was chaos.

Some of the guys didn't take the air bags out. Some of the jumps were sharp so it created a rough landing. They were setting air bags off during the races. Man that was hilarious.

uncle geek
12-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Race count was down in 2017 only 65 shows. North East was hit with a lot of rain in 2017. No new tracks in 17 but thats gonna change in 2018

CIRF
12-30-2017, 11:04 AM
It was more of a redneck rally race, not like what you see in tv. Haha. I wish it was. It was the first time they did it and had 130-140 cars so up and it was a blast! Lost the heat race by a bumper after starting last. Broke a inner tie rod in the bmain after hitting a implement tire. They started like 40 cars in the main and it was chaos.

Some of the guys didn't take the air bags out. Some of the jumps were sharp so it created a rough landing. They were setting air bags off during the races. Man that was hilarious.

That sounds like a hoot and a half!!

NWPA
12-31-2017, 02:58 PM
39 events at 19 tracks.
Port Royal - 9
Lernerville - 5
Eldora - 3
Eriez - 3
Florence - 3
PPMS - 3
Sharon - 1
Raceway 7 - 1
Wayne County - 1
I-55, Pevely - 1 new
Lincoln, Il - 1 new
Quincy - 1 new
Fayette Co., Il - 1 new
Macon - 1
Farmer City - 1
Highland - 1
Marion Center - 1
Dog Hollow - 1 new
Fremont - 1 new

jlacey
12-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Didnt do much this year compared to the last couple years. Started at Screven before going to Volusia for the last night of sprints and all the LM shows. Went to Potomac 3 or 4 times and thats it. Hope to get back on the road again next year

Bob Hubbard
01-01-2018, 05:25 AM
I would rate the racing in this area average/poor last year ....Other than a few big shows ... I was bored with the low car counts & didn't go alot ....

SFrancisFan15
01-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Because of my job this year and working a lot of Saturdays it was by far the lowest attended races for me since I can remember. Don't have a count but i'd say around 20 shows. I did finally make it to Charlotte for the first time so that made up for it seeing the big block mod guys for the first time was pretty cool as well.