PDA

View Full Version : Is it me?

latemodelman
01-01-2018, 12:58 PM
Is it me or do others feel like the cars should look like the 1996 or 1998 version and feel if it were kept like that and costs were kept like that we would see better racing and a stronger weekly show.

Hoosier_Dirt
01-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Yep....you got it!

latemodelman
01-01-2018, 01:09 PM
so its just not me

MI Dirt Fan
01-01-2018, 01:10 PM
The cost of engines can be just as much if not more than a car.

latemodelman
01-01-2018, 01:23 PM
oh I know the costs for engines are outright high. I mean heck if the complete car could cost 50,000 you would have a lot of guys running weekly. Races like the Dream, North South, World 100 ect. will be around and guys will travel to them in order to try to get closer in breaking even. In Ohio you have very few tracks that run late models like what used to. Also the purses are low as well.

Krooser
01-01-2018, 01:24 PM
It's me, too. My old MB will have the same look that it had when it last raced around 2001...

Kwd1253
01-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Out with old in with the new, you all old tymers need get away from them fruitful stuck in the mud thoughts of the pass. The future not cheap, plus you can't take all that money with you in the after life. so spend all your 401k money on the newest, greatest, fastest late models that ever put rubber on the ground that money can buy. Team rocket standing by the phone to take your money, I mean order!

CageFaraday
01-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Is it me or do others feel like the cars should look like the 1996 or 1998 version and feel if it were kept like that and costs were kept like that we would see better racing and a stronger weekly show.

Had they kept enforcing the actual "Super Late Model" rules from back then, things wouldn't be so jacked-up(pun). In the 90's HAT, STARS and UMP all had a 6 inch body height rule around the bottom of the car and the cars where still thought of as "Super" not limited. Growth was huge, racing was good and people weren't quitting every month. The "droop" rule is only an attempt to push the horse a bit back in the barn, before he bolts across the pasture. Its a simple rule that could be the start of something good.

PITTSBURGH
01-01-2018, 02:44 PM
out with old in with the new, you all old tymers need get away from them fruitful stuck in the mud thoughts of the pass. The future not cheap, plus you can't take all that money with you in the after life. So spend all your 401k money on the newest, greatest, fastest late models that ever put rubber on the ground that money can buy. Team rocket standing by the phone to take your money, i mean order!

amen!!!!!!

C5R427
01-01-2018, 08:03 PM
I think cars should be like in the late eighties and early nineties no weight limit, wings on top and lexan from front to rear

TUTY
01-01-2018, 08:48 PM
Do you think if we still had horses and carigages we wouldn't have car payments?

blncfn57
01-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Do you think if we still had horses and carigages we wouldn't have car payments?

You could buy a car for what a horse and carriage costs....

Raceready
01-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Is it me or do others feel like the cars should look like the 1996 or 1998 version and feel if it were kept like that and costs were kept like that we would see better racing and a stronger weekly show. Sounds great but some of the big winners of today might not even be able to qualify if the cars were back to where it was more drivers ability than how the set up trickery under a few drivers is the only reason that they are fast as with these modern times.

Josh Bayko
01-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Going back in time is the worst way to move into the future.

Kwd1253
01-01-2018, 09:41 PM
Sounds great but some of the big winners of today might not even be able to qualify if the cars were back to where it was more drivers ability than how the set up trickery under a few drivers is the only reason that they are fast as with these modern times.

This is true right here. Don’t think some this older drivers like Scott, jimmy, erb, ect. Wouldn’t make 100 laps at Eldora or Macon. It would take lot stamina out them. It could open the field up for new drivers step up. until Moyer sr retire , him and Scott was probably the two biggest odd favorite to win the dream and the world. Still think Scott and McDowell are big favorites to win it today.

slmcrewchief99
01-01-2018, 10:28 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking too. FWIW, there is a place for those old cars and that "classic" look. It's called Street Stock around here. They don't have our big wide bore motors and our juiced tires but they race pretty good and go plenty slow for all you old timers.

Josh Bayko
01-02-2018, 07:56 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking too. FWIW, there is a place for those old cars and that "classic" look. It's called Street Stock around here. They don't have our big wide bore motors and our juiced tires but they race pretty good and go plenty slow for all you old timers.

I’m not saying that body changes aren’t needed. They clearly are. There are ways they could lessen the aero affect that would cost much at all. I’m taking about flattening the decks and bringing them back down to 36”, flattening the roofs, making the nose straight and symmetrical again and getting rid of the valences and closing in the sails. Closing the back in some like an IMCA mod should be a consideration too. Most of that could be accomplished with a simple reskinning of the car.

Cardirt0
01-02-2018, 08:40 AM
It is what it is and we all will have to live with it ...Even if we dont want to.....

dirtracerl77
01-02-2018, 01:06 PM
I think it would make a bigger difference to get rid of the stacked springs and bump stops.. All this crazy tilted car stuff, happened as a result of the crazy spring and shock packages. There is no way to police the shocks, but it is easy to check springs.

CageFaraday
01-10-2018, 09:23 AM

It worked before. Just saying, things have gotten out of hand before and they were bold enough to fix them. I guess from a "Fan" POV things look like roses, but the base is eroding. Ever stop and wonder where the stars of tomorrow will come from without those smaller teams around to give a guy a chance? I'm ok with it dying now, younger people never listen anyway until they have VD and taxes out the ying-yang anyway. The racer who still foot their own bills know the score and its a blow out.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-10-2018, 09:37 AM
I think it would make a bigger difference to get rid of the stacked springs and bump stops.. All this crazy tilted car stuff, happened as a result of the crazy spring and shock packages. There is no way to police the shocks, but it is easy to check springs.

That is a very dangerous idea. Coil binding cars are hard to control and break stuff.

Josh Bayko
01-10-2018, 10:01 AM
It worked before. Just saying, things have gotten out of hand before and they were bold enough to fix them. I guess from a "Fan" POV things look like roses, but the base is eroding. Ever stop and wonder where the stars of tomorrow will come from without those smaller teams around to give a guy a chance? I'm ok with it dying now, younger people never listen anyway until they have VD and taxes out the ying-yang anyway. The racer who still foot their own bills know the score and its a blow out.

They didn’t actually go back in time when they got rid of the wedges. It’s not like they went to stock appearing cars, they just calmed down the dimensions of the cars. That’s really all they need to do again. Reign it in again. I mentioned some pretty easy and affordable changes in this thread.