PDA

View Full Version : Real Stock Cars at Knoxville...

Krooser
01-11-2018, 10:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI_boGv-8QM&feature=share

FastEd95
01-11-2018, 11:23 AM
That was cool...the good ol' days!

intel8
01-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Nice! amazing to see the early days of such a great facility.

TheJet-09
01-11-2018, 12:12 PM
As a kid, my most prized possession was always my AFX slot car track. A lot of the cars in that video look like those old slot cars.

Many fond memories! Thanks for sharing!

klemmabyna
01-11-2018, 04:30 PM
Krooser: love the link.

maybe this race?:
http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/race.php?raceid=148

some great names from my early youth in those results.

Kwd1253
01-11-2018, 04:46 PM
if Lot 4m went back in time to see that, they would come back on here cry about how it was too dust.

MUD MAESTRO
01-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Those Hemi MoPars rumbling down the straight away....I can still hear them. Notice the # 75 Butch Hartman, many time champion of the USAC Stock Cars. #9 Don White....#6 Lem Blankenship...#99 Verlin Ecker.......Chuck McWilliams won that race driving a Porter Lanigan 1972 Plymouth. You all missed out on a great era of Stock Car Racing.

Bubstr
01-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Yes, when those Hemi's talked, everyone listened. They had a sound of their own. Funny thing, most of them where close to stock. After market cam and pistons for more compression and a little tweek on the oiling system plus a good valve job. Forged crank and rods was out of the box stock.

MUD MAESTRO
01-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Yes, when those Hemi's talked, everyone listened. They had a sound of their own. Funny thing, most of them where close to stock. After market cam and pistons for more compression and a little tweek on the oiling system plus a good valve job. Forged crank and rods was out of the box stock.

If you remember HOFamer and master mechanic Ernie Derr of Keokuk Iowa help develop the Hemi for racing. If i may add, Derr was the best I ever saw on dirt.

kazual
01-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Ernie Derr and later Ramo Stott, on the front straight with the sound of those hemis reverberating through the covered grandstand is the most spine tingling engine noise I have heard to this day in circle track racing. It hooked me on short track racing.

a25rjr
01-11-2018, 07:43 PM

There was quite a bit more "massaging" than that!

My dad worked for Ray Fox in 1965 and they set the world record for a closed course at 181 mph at Daytona!

This article also mentions Larry Flynn, who was my uncle. He won over 400 hundred races and most were Ray Fox prepared cars. My dad was Larrys crew chief.

http://www.legendsofnascar.com/ray_fox.htm

http://www.legendsofnascar.com/Larry_Flynn.htm

Bubstr
01-12-2018, 08:56 AM
Really, most short track and drag racers, just did a .010 over bore, blueprint for clearance, higher compression pistons [15.5/1 with a tight deck clearance and larger head bolts. Blue print the rockers, a 5 to 8 stage valve job. If you turn it 8k or over you need cross bolt oilers. If you made any more hp than that, you couldn't hook it up on the hard 13.50 tires in the day. Funny thing about them hemis, they couldn't pull a dead ho off the toilet under 5k rpms, but they came alive around there. They breathed too well to keep velocity up at lower rpm. MOPAR sold two hemi, Street and race. They also had aluminum heads available. Note, there is a left and right head. Do it wrong and you will have a oily floor.

The 427 ford had a better HP curve, but was short on top end. The BBChevy had a better hp at lower rpm.

One Man Wolf Pack
01-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Old School. Used to see a lot of USAC stock car races back in the 60's and 70's

CIRF
01-12-2018, 01:53 PM
I was very young but I vividly remember guys like Don White, Butch Hartman and Ernie Derr rattle the rafters of the grandstands at the Springfield Mile. Those young enough that generic late models are all that they’ve ever known certainly missed some great cars and some of the best drivers ever.!!

Bubstr
01-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Thee was something in the water, down in Keocuk Iowa. They grew racers there. Don't forget, not only Derr and White, but Ramo Stott, Lem and Gordy Blankenship, Don White and (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Hutcherson. Old Earnie Derr the gray fox was the best and mentor to the rest.

CIRF
01-13-2018, 12:06 AM
Ron Hutcherson was from Keokuk, as well. Don White raced out of Keokuk but he was born in Monmouth, Illinois.

rickybrown1952
01-13-2018, 12:16 AM
I can not get sound on this video

Krooser
01-13-2018, 09:19 AM
There was no sound they had a muffler rule!

slydejob18
01-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Ernie and Russ Derr, Jack Bowsher, Ramo, Blankenship, White, Joe Ruttman. Tremendous USAC stock car racing back in the day. Loved going to Springfield and Duquoin every year to see these guys.

Anybody remember the year at the Springfield Mile when they stopped the race at halfway to water so they could "keep the dust down"?? Then AJ put on a show on the high side to win it from about 10th or 12th place. He had that Foyt red number 51 Camaro rollin. Ruttman went up there with him and got second. Some say AJ told the track crew, 'If you water that top, I'll win it'. lol What a great division that was back in the day. Great video Krooser.

Go 18!!

Krooser
01-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the positive remarks... USAC had some great racing.

lazyifoto
01-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Those Hemi MoPars rumbling down the straight away....I can still hear them. Notice the # 75 Butch Hartman, many time champion of the USAC Stock Cars. #9 Don White....#6 Lem Blankenship...#99 Verlin Ecker.......Chuck McWilliams won that race driving a Porter Lanigan 1972 Plymouth. You all missed out on a great era of Stock Car Racing.

Thanks for the info. Grew up watching Chuck McWilliams and then all of his sons race here in N.Ky. at Florence Speedway (aka Northern Kentucky Speedway )