PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond

7uptruckracer
01-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Any have any insight on the Black Diamond 5th Coil, RR setup? Hearing some rumors, they are going on a tear lately with some drivers

FlatTire
01-16-2018, 01:36 PM
They must have not told Terry Phillips.

Kromulous
01-16-2018, 02:12 PM
They trying something like them new items from Advance Racing Shocks? Look on there website.

Dual RR spring, spring inside a spring on the RR, looks interesting. Then they have a fifth coil set up, its like a stack but works different than a normal stack.

Punisher88
01-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Best thing to.do.wpuld be to call stuckey and ask for b.j. or if you have a relationship with Kirk Loudy with Envy Suspension, he's very familiar with the cars. But isn't about giving free info.

slmcrewchief99
01-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Like Punisher88 said, make a call to Ronnie. There are some things we have to keep among ourselves. It's no different than any other chassis builders. Some of these secrets is what give us an edge for a while. Some of us don't mind answering questions but being "that" technical on an open forum aint happening.

Kromulous
01-17-2018, 08:03 AM
I bet its one of them new stretchy chains...LOL

7uptruckracer
01-17-2018, 10:06 AM
This isn't the air damper over the spring. I"ll wait see if I can see it up close.Just curious if anyone was hearing anything. Its on a car down here in NC but no way I'll be getting close to it lol

DEKconsulting
01-18-2018, 07:58 AM
This is a screen shot from advance

DEKconsulting
01-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Sorry tried but it won't upload go to advance suspension and new products

7uptruckracer
01-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Funny we run this deal on asphalt, crazy how it bleeds over. The preloaded soft spring acts stiffer until you reach your preload number..

Sorry tried but it won't upload go to advance suspension and new products

Matt49
01-18-2018, 01:58 PM
Isn't this basically just giving you a way to increase the static load on a corner without changing the ride height or "rate" of the corner?
This has obviously been done before but I think I like the design of the ARS piece a little better than others I have seen (Joe's, Port City, etc.).

Kromulous
01-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Advance has a pretty cool looking 5th coil deal as well, supposed to offer an initial stiffer rate and then get softer for the straight aways.

I was hearing awhile back that Longhorn was taking a softer spring, and preloading it on a smasher to get ride height numbers, not sure the rates and numbers thou.

fastford
01-18-2018, 06:18 PM
krom , i remember that fifth coil being discussed on here a while back and i drew up a sketch of some thing very similar , i like the idea of it , but haven't tried it , any one know how much that unit cost????

Kromulous
01-18-2018, 06:36 PM
Would like to know myself, seems like a solid theory, with all the aero work that goes on to keep the spolier propped way up keeping the car hooked up all the way down the chute any way possible would be a good thing.

Mr.Kennedy777
01-23-2018, 04:33 PM
Advance has a pretty cool looking 5th coil deal as well, supposed to offer an initial stiffer rate and then get softer for the straight aways.I was hearing awhile back that Longhorn was taking a softer spring, and preloading it on a smasher to get ride height numbers, not sure the rates and numbers thou. So the way it works.... is the one bottom spring pre loaded heavily, so initially it works the top spring until the force exceeds the pre load in the bottom one, and then they begin to act like a stacked spring past that point? I think that’s what it looks like anyways.

Mr.Kennedy777
01-23-2018, 04:38 PM
Digressive stack, that’s been around for a bit I think genesis had something like that going on but I couldn’t figure out what the use for it would have been, it had a lock out collar that had the one spring disengaged until a certain point of travel and then from there on, it was the stacked rate. Almost looks like in this one from advanced it wasn’t a lock out collar it was a pre loader with a spring in it with another spring stacked on the mix. Same concept of digressive rate but different mechanisms.

7uptruckracer
01-25-2018, 10:20 AM
I know about these and this isn't it after I showed the guy who had me do digging Its some form of mechanical linkage between the RR and 5th coil and its supposedly not a cantaliver concept so who knows.

Mr.Kennedy777
01-25-2018, 10:23 AM
I know about these and this isn't it after I showed the guy who had me do digging Its some form of mechanical linkage between the RR and 5th coil and its supposedly not a cantaliver concept so who knows.RR corner of chassis or RR axle?

fastford
01-25-2018, 11:12 AM
are you talking about the lift arm stabilizer that runs from inside the rt bird cage on axle tube to front of lift bar?

7uptruckracer
01-25-2018, 12:21 PM
No....Connects at the RR shock and Shock on Lift Arm. I havent heard or seen anything like this. Supposed to be derived from a Formula 1 concept and no not FRIC stuff

Kromulous
01-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Cool, wonder if there trying to take load off the RR when torque is applied to the 5th coil. That would be a pretty cool device. Gonna have to go do some looking...

modman1010
01-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Pretty sure bloomer messed with this a couple years ago and they made him take it off

billetbirdcage
01-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Pretty sure bloomer messed with this a couple years ago and they made him take it off

The reason this rules exist

12.21 Shocks and Springs
A.) Shocks must be constructed of aluminum or steel. Canister shocks are permitted.
**1. The only external connection allowed to the shock is a single hose to a single remote canister with the option of a compression adjuster in the canister.
2. Compression adjuster and/or canister cannot be mounted within the reach of the driver.
**B.) No cross connected shocks are allowed.
1. The only external connection allowed to the damper is a single hose to a single remote canister with
the option of a compression adjuster in the canister.

**2. No Inerter style dampers, either mechanical or hydraulic, or other type of primarily acceleration
sensitive damping devices not permitted.

Lots of misconceptions and theories to what everyone called the 20,000.00 shocks he was using.

Mr.Kennedy777
01-25-2018, 05:26 PM
No....Connects at the RR shock and Shock on Lift Arm. I havent heard or seen anything like this. Supposed to be derived from a Formula 1 concept and no not FRIC stuff Top or bottom of the shock?

7uptruckracer
01-26-2018, 07:07 AM
Honestly don’t know. Just in the intel gathering phase. He runs some big shows and struggles but local stuff really dominant so seems like it might come on and off the car. Sounds like it could be a cross connected shock

Top or bottom of the shock?

missile07
02-13-2018, 10:21 AM
I tried to post the pic but there is one floating around of EPJ on the jacks without his complete right side and the right rear has either a take up spring or something similar to the contraption that ARS sells.

7uptruckracer
02-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Interesting...The other car I made the post about was running too....

I tried to post the pic but there is one floating around of EPJ on the jacks without his complete right side and the right rear has either a take up spring or something similar to the contraption that ARS sells.