PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Gateway Dirt Nationals - Midgets added to the DOME race.

HoosierDirtFan
01-24-2018, 04:50 PM
Gateway Dirt nationals 2018 - Midgets added to the Dome race.
Article link - http://www.stlracing.com/2018/01/24/midgets-added-to-the-dome

cgrace
01-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Dang I was perfectly fine with only two classes, but I wasn't asked :D

CIRF
01-24-2018, 07:15 PM
If the midgets are given a well prepared racetrack to perform on they likely will steal the show. Of course that also depends on who's invited and what the rules/format will be, but given the right circumstances the midgets are more than capable of a remarkable show.

Cardirt0
01-24-2018, 07:22 PM
If the midgets are given a well prepared racetrack to perform on they likely will steal the show. Of course that also depends on who's invited and what the rules/format will be, but given the right circumstances the midgets are more than capable of a remarkable show.

I though you be happy...Think you make it there....

CIRF
01-24-2018, 07:47 PM
I though you be happy...Think you make it there....

We were figuring on being there even before there was any word about the midgets being part of the show since the Gateway people stopped scheduling directly against Du Quoin. We'll be there for sure on Saturday night but not sure if we'll make it down for all 3 nights. Lodging, food, parking and partying is just a bit too rich for our blood for all 3 nights. We'll be staying in Du Quoin just 2 weeks after Gateway and the Chili Bowl is just a month after Du Quoin and has been expanded to 6 nights starting in 2019. That puts us in Tulsa for a full week. You pile Christmas, New Years and my wedding anniversary on New Years Eve on top of all that and it's just not possible for me to be away all that time.

It'll be interesting what the format will be. I hope they do a Chili Bowl style passing points deal for the midgets and I hope they invite guys like Larson, Bell, Thorson, Stenhouse Jr., Sammy and Rico.

zyoung25
01-24-2018, 08:07 PM
The show already starts early as it is. Not saying the midgets are going to hold the show up, it's just going to add more time to already long day. Regardless, I think I will be neat to see them apart of show.

dch191
01-24-2018, 08:53 PM
I wonder if the addition of midgets to the program will attract enough fans that they’ll have to open the upper bowl for seating. I think it has the potential to sell substantially more tickets than the previous two years.

CIRF
01-24-2018, 10:07 PM
It's safe to say that the crowd will be substantially larger if they invite and entice the guys I mention above to show up. It's going to be very interesting to see who they invite and who will actually accept an invitation. The reality of the situation is there is no precedence or tradition attached to this event, yet. It may develop over a period of time if they continue to make a go of it, but at this point there is none. I could be wrong but due to the fact it's going to be an invitational event it's probably won't be sanctioned. Without yet any particular prestige or sanction attached it may be tough to get the marquis names like Larson, Bell, Bayston, Thorson and others to accept an invitation. Without those marquis names the midget crowd may not be as big of an addition as one might think.

We all know there will be many of the heavy hitters from the dirt late model world on hand and if the promoters can get a bunch of big name midget drivers to show up this thing could get very big in a hurry. Stay tuned!

HoosierDirtFan
01-24-2018, 10:17 PM
It's safe to say that the crowd will be substantially larger if they invite and entice the guys I mention above to show up. It's going to be very interesting to see who they invite and who will actually accept an invitation. The reality of the situation is there is no precedence or tradition attached to this event, yet. It may develop over a period of time if they continue to make a go of it, but at this point there is none. I could be wrong but due to the fact it's going to be an invitational event it's probably won't be sanctioned. Without yet any particular prestige or sanction attached it may be tough to get the marquis names like Larson, Bell, Bayston, Thorson and others to accept an invitation. Without those marquis names the midget crowd may not be as big of an addition as one might think.

We all know there will be many of the heavy hitters from the dirt late model world on hand and if the promoters can get a bunch of big name midget drivers to show up this thing could get very big in a hurry. Stay tuned!

It shouldn't be hard to get those guys there. I saw on twitter a few guys like Larson & Bell are already itching at the chance to race at the dome.

fryefan
01-25-2018, 01:09 AM
That is awesome news.

I imagine/hope they limit the number of modifieds and midgets to 40 or 50 per class.

TTS_JF
01-25-2018, 08:25 AM
I think if the 3 classes are all a success, you might see this turn to an invite only deal for all 3 classes. I wonder if there will be invitational races for the midgets/mods, or if it will be strictly invite only?

smoothoperator32
01-25-2018, 08:50 AM
killed it for me when you added midgets not a fan of them

CIRF
01-25-2018, 08:56 AM
It shouldn't be hard to get those guys there. I saw on twitter a few guys like Larson & Bell are already itching at the chance to race at the dome.

Really? I don't do twitter, or whatever it is, so I haven't seen anything to that effect. Guys like Larson and Bell were pining to be a part of this show even before it was announced? Hmmm. If you can believe the gibberish on social media then obviously the promoter has been in contact with the big guns well prior to this announcement. I'd be curious to see what the incentive would be for those guys to be anxious to race this event. Guys like Larson, Stenhouse Jr. and Bell have no real monetary incentive to be a part of it and, as I said, there is no tradition of prestige yet attached to it.

A very good question arose in the sprint car section as to whether these midgets would be USAC/POWRi legal or if they're going to allow the Chili Bowl specific midgets. I'm just guessing off the top of my head but I would say there are probably a couple dozen Chili Bowl specific cars out there and if they can get those cars and drivers to participate it would be a better show than if they go USAC/POWRi rules, in my opinion.

CIRF
01-25-2018, 09:08 AM
killed it for me when you added midgets not a fan of themYou're pretty much part of a tiny minority. Fan or not, high quality midgets put on a show second to none, especially at the tiny bullrings such as Du Quoin, Chili Bowl and now the dome. That also holds true at the smaller outdoor venue's like Little Belleville, Mighty Macon, Fairbury and Lincoln.

Is it preconceived prejudice or dirt late model arrogance? LOL!

Josh Bayko
01-25-2018, 09:14 AM
Midgets will almost assuredly race the place better than lates or modifieds. Kinda saw this deal coming when they tested a midget before the race this past year.

kidrock
01-25-2018, 09:20 AM

I was thinking the same thing. If it's anything like what happened at Lincoln the crowd will be much bigger and it should be a good the show.

kidrock
01-25-2018, 09:22 AM

To each is own but the midgets will put on a better show in my opinion.

Tireguy17
01-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Nascar Banquet was Thursday November 30th this past year. That could overlap the event and prevent a driver like Larson from being at the Dome.

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Why mess with a good thing? I like all dirt racing and enjoy midgets put keeping it just lm's and mods is more favorable to me. Give other classes their own date...

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Dang I was perfectly fine with only two classes, but I wasn't asked :D

You and many others I'm sure.

427c.i.
01-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Friday and Saturday's shows are already about 7 hours long, I really wonder what a 3rd class will do time wise?
Granted, there is a lot of down time that could possibly be utilized but after 7 hours of being stuck in a seat designed for a 120lb person, I don't know who's up for a longer show.
Especially with the concession and beer costs...I get $9 beers and $8 Cheeseburgers when the program is 3 hours long (football games that the arena, seating and pricing was built for) but when the show is 7+hours....c'mon.

Illtsate32
01-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Really? I don't do twitter, or whatever it is, so I haven't seen anything to that effect. Guys like Larson and Bell were pining to be a part of this show even before it was announced? Hmmm. If you can believe the gibberish on social media then obviously the promoter has been in contact with the big guns well prior to this announcement. I'd be curious to see what the incentive would be for those guys to be anxious to race this event. Guys like Larson, Stenhouse Jr. and Bell have no real monetary incentive to be a part of it and, as I said, there is no tradition of prestige yet attached to it.A very good question arose in the sprint car section as to whether these midgets would be USAC/POWRi legal or if they're going to allow the Chili Bowl specific midgets. I'm just guessing off the top of my head but I would say there are probably a couple dozen Chili Bowl specific cars out there and if they can get those cars and drivers to participate it would be a better show than if they go USAC/POWRi rules, in my opinion.Give us one reason why Bell, Larson, and Stehouse or any other driver in the country wouldnt want to be a part of this race, then maybe we might believe your story..obviously being the first event theres no tradition but the prestige is there already...

TackyTracker
01-25-2018, 10:35 AM
maybe we get to see Larson race a LM

golddirt
01-25-2018, 10:46 AM
It's just me but keep your indoor racing and midgets.

Cardirt0
01-25-2018, 11:05 AM
This is a race you you could take your kid to and be great...But they have priced it out of a lot of peoples cash range...I eat No burgers at 8 bucks,,,but I eat 4 or 5 at 5 bucks over the day...Just cause I will not pay that much for a burger,,,I can see why golddirt will not go old school will all was be old school.....I can live without beer at 3 bucks a cup I know I ant paying 9....

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Complaints on burger and beer prices are useless. It is a shame however a family can't take their kids because of overpriced food that sucks anyway...

Sort of like Macdonald's... Plenty people eat that garbage and pay the price. It's simple taking advange of those who pay and nevermind the rest. Just the way it is and has always been.

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 11:40 AM
It's just me but keep your indoor racing and midgets.

Mostly just you but surly you're not entirely alone.

You are the minority here 😀

willardboy
01-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Wonder what the ticket prices will bump up to? Amen on the food and beer prices! I do love a cold beer like the next guy but........ not at $9 each. Tough to take the family with the show going 7+ hours.... about have to visit the concession stands a couple times :(

CIRF
01-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Why mess with a good thing? I like all dirt racing and enjoy midgets put keeping it just lm's and mods is more favorable to me. Give other classes their own date...
Phil, I take no issue with you're saying. But, if you had been at Lincoln last July you would see why the promoter might be anxious to throw the midgets into the mix. The crowd at Lincoln was one of the largest I've ever seen at a local, weekly racetrack. The racing was incredible in regards to both the midgets and the late models.

Give us one reason why Bell, Larson, and Stehouse or any other driver in the country wouldnt want to be a part of this race, then maybe we might believe your story..obviously being the first event theres no tradition but the prestige is there already...It makes no difference if you believe it or not. The facts are that the St. Louis event has happened just twice. Face it, this deal isn't the World Hundred, Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals, Turkey Night Grand Prix or The Chili Bowl. Any one of those events are a resume' maker for the winner in their respective divisions and The Chili Bowl gets the winner a huge amount of national attention from the racing world as a whole.

Next November/December will be the very first time for any dirt open wheel division to be a part of it. We don't know the payout yet but besides that the midget portion will most likely be on a par with the two USAC National Midget shows at Du Quoin. In other words, it will be a nice win but nowhere near a career maker like those shows I mentioned above. Kyle Larson said in an interview recently that he wants to win The Chili Bowl more than he does the Daytona 500. Can you honestly put the St. Louis deal in the same category? I don't think so, and I know no one that does.............accept you! LOL! I really hope they can get Larson, Bell, Stenhouse, Pittman, Kasey Kahne and others to St. Louis for this deal but it's going to take more than the prestige of winning it to do it.

Ten years from now it might be a whole other story but today, not so much.

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 11:58 AM
I understand the promoters stand on this but the question is, what is the need? Have a separate date for another class. Let the fans decide what they want to see...

Midgets would be my first choice here if I seen a need, but I don't. Leave this show alone.... That's my choice.

Illtsate32
01-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Phil, I take no issue with you're saying. But, if you had been at Lincoln last July you would see why the promoter might be anxious to throw the midgets into the mix. The crowd at Lincoln was one of the largest I've ever seen at a local, weekly racetrack. The racing was incredible in regards to both the midgets and the late models.It makes no difference if you believe it or not. The facts are that the St. Louis event has happened just twice. Face it, this deal isn't the World Hundred, Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals, Turkey Night Grand Prix or The Chili Bowl. Any one of those events are a resume' maker for the winner in their respective divisions and The Chili Bowl gets the winner a huge amount of national attention from the racing world as a whole.Next November/December will be the very first time for any dirt open wheel division to be a part of it. We don't know the payout yet but besides that the midget portion will most likely be on a par with the two USAC National Midget shows at Du Quoin. In other words, it will be a nice win but nowhere near a career maker like those shows I mentioned above. Kyle Larson said in an interview recently that he wants to win The Chili Bowl more than he does the Daytona 500. Can you honestly put the St. Louis deal in the same category? I don't think so, and I know no one that does.............accept you! LOL! I really hope they can get Larson, Bell, Stenhouse, Pittman, Kasey Kahne and others to St. Louis for this deal but it's going to take more than the prestige of winning it to do it.Ten years from now it might be a whole other story but today, not so much.1st of all *except...2nd those guys run outlaw carts on a Wednesday night if they can, it doent have to be a career making race for them to show, so again why would these guys not show up to the dome with 20+ thousand people to watch them? It sure dont sound like you want these guys to show for some reason...

CIRF
01-25-2018, 01:34 PM
I understand the promoters stand on this but the question is, what is the need? Have a separate date for another class. Let the fans decide what they want to see...

Midgets would be my first choice here if I seen a need, but I don't. Leave this show alone.... That's my choice.You make a good point, Phil. I would be there Saturday night whether the midgets are there or not since they're not running against Du Quoin. It's a given that something is going to have to be done about car count or they'll need to be racing at noon and they'll still be racing at 11 PM. I too would prefer for the midgets to be a stand alone deal like they are at Du Quoin and The Chili Bowl but given that this deal hasn't got any momentum yet it's probably better from the promoters' standpoint to combine the classes.

1st of all *except...2nd those guys run outlaw carts on a Wednesday night if they can, it doent have to be a career making race for them to show, so again why would these guys not show up to the dome with 20+ thousand people to watch them? It sure don't sound like you want these guys to show for some reason...Lets get one thing straight, you really don't know for sure who I would like to see show up but one thing is for sure, I want to see the likes of Rico, Larson and Bell to show up to race midgets regardless of the venue. Since you don't know what you're talking about don't try to put words in my mouth.

This is getting boring but I'll try one more time. Larson, Sammy, Rico, Damion Gardner among some others have yet to ever show up at Du Quoin for either the December race or the March race. And believe me, in the midget world the Du Quoin events carry as much weight as any indoor event except The Chili Bowl and for sure more than a first year unsanctioned event. Dave Darland has been to Du Quoin a time or two but not lately. If the promoter can hype it up enough to get the really big dogs there then more power to him. The same promoter conned some of them into taking part in the biggest debacle in the history of racing over at Indy so anything is possible!

From the video of the Saturday night crowd at St. Louis it would take documentation to make 20,000+ believable. Larson's favorite event, The Chili Bowl, draws close to 20,000 5 nights in a row and it'll be 6 nights in a row in 2019 and that's with just one class racing! 15,000 seats sold and the pit side bleachers are GA for those that have pit passes.

Sorry so long but it's like trying to explain neurosurgery to a 3rd grader.

3 wide
01-25-2018, 01:50 PM
If it is taking them 7 hrs to run 2 classes they sure don't need to be adding any classes and they aren't going to get Larson ,bell,Khane an Rico etc. it want have the prestige as the chili bowl.

Illtsate32
01-25-2018, 01:53 PM
You just like to hear yourself talk...and please stop acting like your're always schooling somebody with your rambling, all that garbage and still didnt say a thing...

3 wide
01-25-2018, 02:53 PM
Just making a point who wants to sit at a race track 7 hrs

Cardirt0
01-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Just making a point who wants to sit at a race track 7 hrs

If I was not sick I would if 6 hours of it was racing

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 03:02 PM
I could if they raced the intire time with an intermission half way through for track prep and streach the legs a bit.

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 03:04 PM
3 wide, I think illstate32 was talking to CIRF

Cardirt0
01-25-2018, 03:05 PM
You just like to hear yourself talk...and please stop acting like your're always schooling somebody with your rambling, all that garbage and still didnt say a thing...

Its the same thing as you and you love for bobby you say we Hate him when we don't... Just don't like some of the things he does, , Just because you love or hate something don't mean others do....

zach51
01-25-2018, 03:05 PM
Whoever would prefer 50 modifieds over 50 midgets needs mental help.

Cardirt0
01-25-2018, 03:10 PM

There is a lot that need mental help for way more things then that on here...lol

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 03:19 PM

Well then sighn me into the nearest facility!!!! Give me meds and mods any day over midgets. 😜

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-25-2018, 03:31 PM

Midgets are creepy.

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Midgets are creepy.

We mus'nt refer to them as midgets... Dwarf's are more acceptable today.

zach51
01-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Lol yes they are "little cars"

zach51
01-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Just saying, some of the best race drivers in the world go back and run midgets, you don't see them running mortifieds.

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 03:55 PM
Just saying, some of the best race drivers in the world go back and run midgets, you don't see them running mortifieds.

Mortifying.....

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 04:01 PM
Its a matter of preference to fan and racer. To say the best run back to midgets is who you consider the best.... Many of "the best" in racing have never set in a midget. That don't mean they're any less a racer....

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 04:04 PM
I see some big names in mods every year. Some my say they are the worlds best.... Just saying.

zach51
01-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Mmmmk. Whatever you say.

Mindwalker
01-25-2018, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't be upset to see the nationals in St Louis bring in midgets. It would make more sense to me tho not to. If the midgets are thought to be a better class to run there then run 'em. Just run lm's and midgets, im good with that to. Just don't think 3 classes at this show is needed or wanted.

Cardirt0
01-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Thats why there's more then one class..some like one, some like the other, some like them all, ...if it hurts or helps we find out the next time they run this show...

willardboy
01-25-2018, 05:10 PM
For me personally, i like late models and modifieds. But i really think it comes down to what part of the country u r from and what u are used to seeing. Im from Eastern KY and attend PRP and Atomic for the most part. These tracks when i go are predominately lates and mods. Im not against the midgets but i think gateway would definitely turn in to a 10 hour show. How tough are the midgets on a track? What would the midgets do to the dome track??

MI Dirt Fan
01-25-2018, 05:11 PM
Just throwing it out there. What about LM and like Street stock/Sportsman one weekend and mods and Midget's another weekend? Or any other combination of the 4 just 2 classes two different weekends.

I'm also assuming they will have space to push start the midgets?

Illtsate32
01-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Its the same thing as you and you love for bobby you say we Hate him when we don't... Just don't like some of the things he does, , Just because you love or hate something don't mean others do....No not the same..hes speculating, me yes I spit facts school people on here cause some of you need educated lol...and before you freak out that is satire lol....

kidrock
01-25-2018, 05:16 PM
I just like racing of all kinds but, I will say the midgets in my opinion put on the best racing night in night out especially if the top drivers are racing that night.

I have to give a nod to some motorcycle races because they can put on a good show as well.

turnleftandgasit
01-25-2018, 06:57 PM
While at the show this last December, any time midgets were brought up, everyone I spoke to thought it was a good idea. No, I did not talk to everyone in attendance, but I did speak to many, and we all thought it would be a great addition. I felt they stretched the programs out on purpose, so adding a 3rd class should work out OK.

cgrace
01-25-2018, 07:33 PM
While at the show this last December, any time midgets were brought up, everyone I spoke to thought it was a good idea. No, I did not talk to everyone in attendance, but I did speak to many, and we all thought it would be a great addition. I felt they stretched the programs out on purpose, so adding a 3rd class should work out OK. I much rather have the program stretched. just really don't like the open wheel cars. Typically, all of my group stays clear of any midgets, sprints. I honestly have tried a few times to watch, just not the same like a late. I won't go to late model shows if they are there.

Cardirt0
01-25-2018, 07:37 PM
No not the same..hes speculating, me yes I spit facts school people on here cause some of you need educated lol...and before you freak out that is satire lol....

There a old saying that I will not say, but you tell us we go over board when you do it all the time is a joke....All by its self...

cgrace
01-25-2018, 07:41 PM
I agree with some of the other posts put two classes on another night if you want. The stands were fuller last year than the year before. I go to Charlotte, but it is pretty obvious most of the time sprint fans leave when others are racing, same for late fans they leave when lates are done, same for big blocks. That's is what will happen.

Illtsate32
01-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Well my personal belief is it will have sort of a chili bowl effect...and if thats the case I dont see how you can run both classes in the same day as far as the car count goes...they will have to cap it somehow...

TBSprintFan
01-26-2018, 02:48 AM
My opinion would be Late Models and Midgets, leave the restartifieds at home.

zach51
01-26-2018, 09:02 AM
I agree with some of the other posts put two classes on another night if you want. The stands were fuller last year than the year before. I go to Charlotte, but it is pretty obvious most of the time sprint fans leave when others are racing, same for late fans they leave when lates are done, same for big blocks. That's is what will happen.

Yes, and they already have everybody's money so who cares.

And furthermore, if they have a class you don't like and won't watch, that probably means you are downstairs roaming around buying overpriced beers and Bloomer t-shirts. So it is a win-win-win for the event. $$$$

turnleftandgasit
01-26-2018, 01:49 PM
I wasn't a big fan of the sprints or midgets, but the shows at FALS have brought me over to their side of the fence. Maybe I'm just a FALS homer, but they sure put on a great show there, and it should transfer nicely to the Dome.

Cardirt0
01-26-2018, 01:56 PM
I wasn't a big fan of the sprints or midgets, but the shows at FALS have brought me over to their side of the fence. Maybe I'm just a FALS homer, but they sure put on a great show there, and it should transfer nicely to the Dome.

Will with FALS its the fact that they know Who to bring in for a show...They got a Sprint show and Mig show that puts on a SHOW...

Highside Hustler25
01-26-2018, 05:48 PM

I am not calling them the best racers in the world, but I can think of a few that have made it to the top tier in racing only to go back and race modifieds.

1. Kenny Schrader
2. David Stremme
3. Kenny Wallace
4. Carl Edwards ( coming soon to a dirt track near you:) )

Highside Hustler25
01-26-2018, 05:54 PM
The smaller the track definitely favors the midgets. They are off the hook at little tracks like Macon so I see no reason why they wouldn't put on possibly a better show than the lates. Only problem is 3 classes now. Way too long for me.

turnleftandgasit
01-26-2018, 07:26 PM
Other than watching bum fights, or going to a casino, what else is there to do in St Louis in Dec?

zach51
01-26-2018, 10:39 PM
I am not calling them the best racers in the world, but I can think of a few that have made it to the top tier in racing only to go back and race modifieds.

1. Kenny Schrader
2. David Stremme
3. Kenny Wallace
4. Carl Edwards ( coming soon to a dirt track near you:) )

I wasn't trying to insinuate that modified drivers aren't any good. But nobody you named there with the exception of maybe Carl is even close to a Kyle Larson, Tony Stewart, Christopher Bell, Kasey Kahne. And I love Schrader, and he may love racing more than all of the others combined.

And Wallace tried to race a midget, I think he did about as well as Bloomer and JD.

IZZOJR16
01-26-2018, 10:54 PM
Where will they all fit?

rickybrown1952
01-26-2018, 11:14 PM
I think leave it just like it is sure was a good show the last two yrs jmo.

Illtsate32
01-27-2018, 04:46 AM
I wasn't trying to insinuate that modified drivers aren't any good. But nobody you named there with the exception of maybe Carl is even close to a Kyle Larson, Tony Stewart, Christopher Bell, Kasey Kahne. And I love Schrader, and he may love racing more than all of the others combined.And Wallace tried to race a midget, I think he did about as well as Bloomer and JD.Depends on what your comparing...Carl on asphalt is comparible with Larson, As an overall driver I dont thing Carl could hold a candle to Kenny though...Schrader was a great usac driver in his day, not saying you but I think alot of people just think of Kennys last 15 years of racing when hes been on the downslope of his career...

Highside Hustler25
01-27-2018, 06:01 AM
Depends on what your comparing...Carl on asphalt is comparible with Larson, As an overall driver I dont thing Carl could hold a candle to Kenny though...Schrader was a great usac driver in his day, not saying you but I think alot of people just think of Kennys last 15 years of racing when hes been on the downslope of his career...

Schrader has accomplished more in his career than any of the above mentioned. He might not have won a Cup championship, but He's done just about everything else. Kasey Kahne? Really?:D
Larson is one of those once every 10 year racers. They don't come around often. He will probably go down as one of the best one day but his career is just getting started. Kenny's overall resume far exceeds those above mentioned drivers. 20 years from now, different story.

CageFaraday
01-31-2018, 09:33 PM

Made perfect sense to me... Some racers race to earn a living, not just to travel around and be seen by just any large crowd.

Illtsate32
11-30-2018, 07:12 PM
Phil, I take no issue with you're saying. But, if you had been at Lincoln last July you would see why the promoter might be anxious to throw the midgets into the mix. The crowd at Lincoln was one of the largest I've ever seen at a local, weekly racetrack. The racing was incredible in regards to both the midgets and the late models.
It makes no difference if you believe it or not. The facts are that the St. Louis event has happened just twice. Face it, this deal isn't the World Hundred, Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals, Turkey Night Grand Prix or The Chili Bowl. Any one of those events are a resume' maker for the winner in their respective divisions and The Chili Bowl gets the winner a huge amount of national attention from the racing world as a whole.

Next November/December will be the very first time for any dirt open wheel division to be a part of it. We don't know the payout yet but besides that the midget portion will most likely be on a par with the two USAC National Midget shows at Du Quoin. In other words, it will be a nice win but nowhere near a career maker like those shows I mentioned above. Kyle Larson said in an interview recently that he wants to win The Chili Bowl more than he does the Daytona 500. Can you honestly put the St. Louis deal in the same category? I don't think so, and I know no one that does.............accept you! LOL! I really hope they can get Larson, Bell, Stenhouse, Pittman, Kasey Kahne and others to St. Louis for this deal but it's going to take more than the prestige of winning it to do it.

Ten years from now it might be a whole other story but today, not so much.

Really? I don't do twitter, or whatever it is, so I haven't seen anything to that effect. Guys like Larson and Bell were pining to be a part of this show even before it was announced? Hmmm. If you can believe the gibberish on social media then obviously the promoter has been in contact with the big guns well prior to this announcement. I'd be curious to see what the incentive would be for those guys to be anxious to race this event. Guys like Larson, Stenhouse Jr. and Bell have no real monetary incentive to be a part of it and, as I said, there is no tradition of prestige yet attached to it.

A very good question arose in the sprint car section as to whether these midgets would be USAC/POWRi legal or if they're going to allow the Chili Bowl specific midgets. I'm just guessing off the top of my head but I would say there are probably a couple dozen Chili Bowl specific cars out there and if they can get those cars and drivers to participate it would be a better show than if they go USAC/POWRi rules, in my opinion.

You make a good point, Phil. I would be there Saturday night whether the midgets are there or not since they're not running against Du Quoin. It's a given that something is going to have to be done about car count or they'll need to be racing at noon and they'll still be racing at 11 PM. I too would prefer for the midgets to be a stand alone deal like they are at Du Quoin and The Chili Bowl but given that this deal hasn't got any momentum yet it's probably better from the promoters' standpoint to combine the classes.

Lets get one thing straight, you really don't know for sure who I would like to see show up but one thing is for sure, I want to see the likes of Rico, Larson and Bell to show up to race midgets regardless of the venue. Since you don't know what you're talking about don't try to put words in my mouth.

This is getting boring but I'll try one more time. Larson, Sammy, Rico, Damion Gardner among some others have yet to ever show up at Du Quoin for either the December race or the March race. And believe me, in the midget world the Du Quoin events carry as much weight as any indoor event except The Chili Bowl and for sure more than a first year unsanctioned event. Dave Darland has been to Du Quoin a time or two but not lately. If the promoter can hype it up enough to get the really big dogs there then more power to him. The same promoter conned some of them into taking part in the biggest debacle in the history of racing over at Indy so anything is possible!

From the video of the Saturday night crowd at St. Louis it would take documentation to make 20,000+ believable. Larson's favorite event, The Chili Bowl, draws close to 20,000 5 nights in a row and it'll be 6 nights in a row in 2019 and that's with just one class racing! 15,000 seats sold and the pit side bleachers are GA for those that have pit passes.

Sorry so long but it's like trying to explain neurosurgery to a 3rd grader.

Hey CIRF, so what it is? Drop jaw and start shoveling in all that crow lol...

bullring
11-30-2018, 07:39 PM
Dude did you have to? Lol

over4T
11-30-2018, 10:39 PM
...and Kenny Wallace wins the Mod A main, and over some pretty fair full time Mod guys. Home town advantage???

Mod Runner
12-01-2018, 12:52 AM
Congrats to Kenny. I was just about to ask who won the mod feature.

Krooser
12-01-2018, 07:20 AM
We brought the Badger midgets into our finales at Capital in '83.... Big, fast paved 1/2 mile. Kinda took over the excitement part if the show... 4-6 lead changes per lap. Pretty amazing...

kazual
12-01-2018, 08:26 AM
Midgets are a good addition to the dome show. Expand the ppv audience and increase gate revenue. It’s also easier to budget the purse expense with open wheelers, it doesn’t require as big a payout typically. Who knows, open wheel cars “might” be the headline event in future years? In the St.Louis area who carries the biggest name value and identity with fans, Scott Bloomquist or Sammy Swindell, Christopher Bell or Johnathan Davenport?

bullring
12-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Track size obviously better suited to midget racing. And it does bring in another fan base. Just thinking if you’re adding 50 midgets then eliminate 50 late models. Maybe have 48 in each division. Then run 6 or 8 heats in each.

CIRF
12-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Hey CIRF, so what it is? Drop jaw and start shoveling in all that crow lol...

I stated nothing that would warrant any crow consumption. After rereading my 3 posts from almost a year ago they are, in fact, pretty much spot on.

I've also said repeatedly that the midgets, with the big name drivers driving them, will be by far the best show of the weekend and so far that is indisputable. Not to mention the star power of several of the midget drivers. It appears that the promoter made a decision that should not only add some nationwide interest but profitability, as well. Hat's off and good for him!!

Got anything interesting or intelligent to say or will you persist in your quest of being a fool! LOL!!

Illtsate32
12-01-2018, 11:59 PM
Lol that folks is what mental illness looks like, totally delusional even when you got the receipts...you said they wouldnt come, I said they would, they came, now drop jaw...

TerryM
12-02-2018, 12:15 AM
I thought when it was announced, adding the midgets was a great idea, for obvious reasons. After watching tonight, I think it's an even better idea. I'm not sure how anyone could be against it.

TerryM
12-02-2018, 12:23 AM
You were wrong about stealing the show, but right otherwise. I hope this event continues with these three classes. It's perfect.

ImCryn2
12-02-2018, 08:51 AM
My opinion would be Late Models and Midgets, leave the restartifieds at home.

Just curious as to what class had the most cautions/restarts on average over the weekend? Seemed like they all had their fair share, but I think last night the modifieds may have ran the most consecutive green flag laps with 14-15.

Highside Hustler25
12-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Mike Hamerlee or Kyle Larson?

CIRF
12-02-2018, 01:41 PM
Lol that folks is what mental illness looks like, totally delusional even when you got the receipts...you said they wouldnt come, I said they would, they came, now drop jaw...

Nope, never categorically said they wouldn't come. Went back and read all the posts from almost a year ago and it's obvious you're making things up and acting as if your fantasies are truth. What I said was there had to be more incentive than a $10,000 winners payout to get the really big guns there 'cause there hasn't been any event status established like the Chili Bowl and Turkey Night. Remember, this particular promoter wooed the likes of Larson and some others to race at the fiasco in Indianapolis a few years ago so he obviously holds significant sway with some of the upper echelon of midget racing and that sway translated into some of the big dogs showing up. Good for him. It was a much better show as a result of them being there in action.

Can't figure out if you're just a common fool or if your stupidity stands in the way of simple comprehension of the written word. Probably both! LOL!!

Illtsate32
12-02-2018, 02:08 PM
You just talk out of both sides of your neck to hedge your bet if you're wrong.Can't stand a person who can't admit that they were just wrong..those kid of people are useless, no good...and your use of the all caps LOL after all your statements to reassure yourself proves it...