PDA

View Full Version : Four crate classes

fastford
01-26-2018, 10:06 AM
congratulation,s GM and NESMITH , we now have 4 crate classes at talladega short track (TST) , you guys bank account should be in pretty good shape , there is now only 2 classes left that dont require a chevy engine purchased from you , super,s and hot shots , OH , I forgot , if you want to run a street stock with 2brl stock carb and pull 200 extra pounds , you can run street stock , lol , IROC has finaly made its way to TST...........

riddle28
01-26-2018, 10:19 AM
limited too

old17ford
01-26-2018, 10:57 AM
For some reason race tracks dont want FORDS or MOPARS to run with them .

fastford
01-26-2018, 11:51 AM
limited at TST is just a super B main now , the winner in limited is nearly as fast as the winner in SLM , and old ford , its home built chevy,s to , GM wants all the money.......

chupp n bloomer fan
01-26-2018, 12:21 PM
For some reason race tracks dont want FORDS or MOPARS to run with them .It is purely show me the money, Ford or Mopar(who’ve left circle track again I think), haven’t ponied up the dough.

old17ford
01-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Your right FASTFORD its all about GM wants all the money . The tracks we race at down here they handy cap the FORDS and MOPARS .

chupp n bloomer fan
01-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Your right FASTFORD its all about GM wants all the money . The tracks we race at down here they handy cap the FORDS and MOPARS .The tracks want the money that Chevy is giving them, if Ford or Mopar(who have left circle track again), ponied up the money, they’d be the motor supplier.

It’s messed up, but the tracks wanna take the money, and Chevy is there to give it for a price. On one hand be grateful, on the other it’s a deal just like the Hoosier ones.

KAOS
01-26-2018, 12:40 PM
What happens when GM dumps the internal combustion engine and goes all electric?

chupp n bloomer fan
01-26-2018, 12:42 PM
What happens when GM dumps the internal combustion engine and goes all electric?Not going to happen for quite some time, and they make a lot from their performance stuff, so as long as there is profit in it, they’ll keep doing it.

KAOS
01-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Their goal is to get rid of them in the future I doubt they are making internal combustion engines 10 years from now.

old17ford
01-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Even the few little series we have down here handy cap the FORDS and Mopars for some reason .

Clayton_Wetter
01-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Their goal is to get rid of them in the future I doubt they are making internal combustion engines 10 years from now.

I'll take that bet. You been "greenwashed"????

KAOS
01-26-2018, 07:43 PM
I'll take that bet. You been "greenwashed"????They are coming just type in GM all Electric and you will see, Clayton you might be right but I think all electric is closer than you think.

slmcrewchief99
01-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's illegal to run a Ford or Mopar in a NESMITH sanctioned race.

grt74
01-26-2018, 07:55 PM
take all the purses and roll them into 1 pay out and pay the supers what they should be getting, then if they can't run super there is a lower class called open wheels, or street, and theres nothing wrong with that, its still racing

mcarter815
01-26-2018, 08:19 PM
They are coming just type in GM all Electric and you will see, Clayton you might be right but I think all electric is closer than you think.Tesla just set a record of 670 miles on a single charge. Just need to figure out a fast charge system which should be doable in 10 years. The instant torque makes the Tesla cars pretty sporty.

dirtcrazy4u
01-26-2018, 08:56 PM
They will always have a performance division.

IZZOJR16
01-26-2018, 11:40 PM
Is chevy really making a lot of money off dirt racing? If so, I'm surprised, thought they had bigger fish to fry

chupp n bloomer fan
01-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Is chevy really making a lot of money off dirt racing? If so, I'm surprised, thought they had bigger fish to fryOf course not off of just dirt racing, racing as a whole. And performance parts in general. Is it comparable to their car sales, I highly doubt it, but it’s money, and keeping your name out there in the motorsports industry. Some of it mixing with their high performance stuff.

They’d quit if it didn’t benefit them. Just as Mopar is outta circle track again.

fastford
01-27-2018, 10:32 AM
sorry guys , i guess im a little prejudice , but this is not just a chevy vs ford issue to me , it also effects a part of my lively hood being a engine builder , or any one else that likes the accomplishment of building there own engines. And C n B fan , ford tried to offer a comparable engine and the powers that be said NO , so WTF....... Ford has always been treated this way , in 1972 ford finally finished the cammer 427 after 7 years R&R , niel bonnett took it to daytona in febuary and waxed all the hemi,s and BBC and guess what , next day big bill banned them , just like they claimed it was bobby allison that brought on restricter plates with his wreck , BS , it was bill elliot polishing there azz with that errnie elliott ford HP that did it , so before you say ford turned there back , study the history ........

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-27-2018, 10:49 AM
sorry guys , i guess im a little prejudice , but this is not just a chevy vs ford issue to me , it also effects a part of my lively hood being a engine builder , or any one else that likes the accomplishment of building there own engines. And C n B fan , ford tried to offer a comparable engine and the powers that be said NO , so WTF....... Ford has always been treated this way , in 1972 ford finally finished the cammer 427 after 7 years R&R , niel bonnett took it to daytona in febuary and waxed all the hemi,s and BBC and guess what , next day big bill banned them , just like they claimed it was bobby allison that brought on restricter plates with his wreck , BS , it was bill elliot polishing there azz with that errnie elliott ford HP that did it , so before you say ford turned there back , study the history ........

They don't want guys that do anything themselves in the sport any more.

lindsey97
01-27-2018, 11:18 AM
The NeSmith series I would expect to be all GM as NeSmith is a GM dealer. Now some of the other crate series should look at other brand crate motors I think. But the crate thing in general, in my opinion, was brought on by racers themselves and promotors not willing to tech motors. I would love to be able to build my own motor, but I can't compete with Andy Duhram motors. So,,,, I run a crate late model. It's what I can afford to race. If the tracks would tech motors there wouldn't be 4 NeSmith crate classes.
But on the other hand, I like it because I know its not the motor beating me, it's me as a driver and a set up artist. For me it just takes one factor out of the equation that I'm not constantly working on. But on another hand, our setups are getting where the crate motors can run WFO and if the track is hooked up its a freight train at times. There's a lot of bad with the good and a lot of good with the bad. For me it lets me run a late model and not a street car. I like crates.

a25rjr
01-27-2018, 01:32 PM

God help us, if they do!

You can count me out, if I don't hear the rumble of a V-8!

CageFaraday
01-27-2018, 03:04 PM
congratulation,s GM and NESMITH , we now have 4 crate classes at talladega short track (TST) , you guys bank account should be in pretty good shape , there is now only 2 classes left that dont require a chevy engine purchased from you , super,s and hot shots , OH , I forgot , if you want to run a street stock with 2brl stock carb and pull 200 extra pounds , you can run street stock , lol , IROC has finaly made its way to TST...........I feel you bro, crates are everywhere and boring as he!!. At least in the midwest they're starting to let built motors play too.

Tesla just set a record of 670 miles on a single charge. Just need to figure out a fast charge system which should be doable in 10 years. The instant torque makes the Tesla cars pretty sporty.
The amount of tech and weight involved to make an electric car do that is astounding and instant torque on dirt would be utterly useless unless you allow TC and that would totally suck. Are they gonna have charging stations for everyone? I don't see Electric making its way into dirt anytime soon. Tesla dude keeps making huge claims and promises that don't come true, pie in the sky. Only Millennial's get excited about electric cars, but they fell for "snap chat" too as an investment and that was a bust... You can't even take Tesla on vacation, it won't make it from Georgia to the beach without a stop over. Besides, there is still enough oil reserves on Alaska's North Slope alone to supply the USA with enough fuel for 200 more years, FACT. Have you seen what happens when you wreck a Tesla and the battery ruptures? Not pretty and requires HAZMAT team to handle clean up. Racing will disappear before it ever goes electric. The all Electric F1 type series is nearly bankrupt now and dull, dull, dull. Part of the excitement of racing is the roar of the engines, not the whine of an electric pallet jack. Not dissing you, just electric cars and electric racing, it'll never work on dirt especially, that and electric car sales are in decline as the economy improves, nobody wants a $100K car that can't make it to the beach...

chupp n bloomer fan
01-27-2018, 07:51 PM
sorry guys , i guess im a little prejudice , but this is not just a chevy vs ford issue to me , it also effects a part of my lively hood being a engine builder , or any one else that likes the accomplishment of building there own engines. And C n B fan , ford tried to offer a comparable engine and the powers that be said NO , so WTF....... Ford has always been treated this way , in 1972 ford finally finished the cammer 427 after 7 years R&R , niel bonnett took it to daytona in febuary and waxed all the hemi,s and BBC and guess what , next day big bill banned them , just like they claimed it was bobby allison that brought on restricter plates with his wreck , BS , it was bill elliot polishing there azz with that errnie elliott ford HP that did it , so before you say ford turned there back , study the history ........Not sure if you are implying I said Ford turned their back, but I never said that one bit, Mopar stepped away again.

It’s money man, Ford may have offered an equal engine, but if you ain’t lining the pockets and patting the right people on the back, you are SOL. And yes, Wild Bill was waxing them in the Melling 9. NASCAR was great for that. One manufacturer gets a leg up, they in turn give the others more breaks.

mcarter815
01-28-2018, 09:01 PM
I feel you bro, crates are everywhere and boring as he!!. At least in the midwest they're starting to let built motors play too. The amount of tech and weight involved to make an electric car do that is astounding and instant torque on dirt would be utterly useless unless you allow TC and that would totally suck. Are they gonna have charging stations for everyone? I don't see Electric making its way into dirt anytime soon. Tesla dude keeps making huge claims and promises that don't come true, pie in the sky. Only Millennial's get excited about electric cars, but they fell for "snap chat" too as an investment and that was a bust... You can't even take Tesla on vacation, it won't make it from Georgia to the beach without a stop over. Besides, there is still enough oil reserves on Alaska's North Slope alone to supply the USA with enough fuel for 200 more years, FACT. Have you seen what happens when you wreck a Tesla and the battery ruptures? Not pretty and requires HAZMAT team to handle clean up. Racing will disappear before it ever goes electric. The all Electric F1 type series is nearly bankrupt now and dull, dull, dull. Part of the excitement of racing is the roar of the engines, not the whine of an electric pallet jack. Not dissing you, just electric cars and electric racing, it'll never work on dirt especially, that and electric car sales are in decline as the economy improves, nobody wants a $100K car that can't make it to the beach...I think part of the death of short track racing will be the rise of electric cars. That mixed with the fact that young people today aren’t interested in owning a car or even learning how to drive because of the rise of Uber and self-driving cars coming around the corner.

Clayton_Wetter
01-29-2018, 04:02 PM
God help us, if they do!

You can count me out, if I don't hear the rumble of a V-8!

Getting an electric car to hook up and handle like the current cars would be impossible. I agree, I'm heading home if electric cars replace the gasoline engines. Safety issues would be enormous, also. It would be the end of racing as we know it on dirt tracks.

I suppose the announcers would really stand out then for sure, drowning out the quiet whirring electric motors. hahahahaha

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Getting an electric car to hook up and handle like the current cars would be impossible. I agree, I'm heading home if electric cars replace the gasoline engines. Safety issues would be enormous, also. It would be the end of racing as we know it on dirt tracks.

I suppose the announcers would really stand out then for sure, drowning out the quiet whirring electric motors. hahahahaha

I don't think it would be too hard to build a smooth variac for power supplied to the motor.

fastford
01-29-2018, 06:01 PM
probably sound like the little slot car track down the street , just amplified......

mcarter815
01-29-2018, 07:37 PM
Getting an electric car to hook up and handle like the current cars would be impossible. I agree, I'm heading home if electric cars replace the gasoline engines. Safety issues would be enormous, also. It would be the end of racing as we know it on dirt tracks. I suppose the announcers would really stand out then for sure, drowning out the quiet whirring electric motors. hahahahahaYou can’t have an electric car without a computer brain box. It’s a given that that would mean traction control.

Clayton_Wetter
01-30-2018, 11:32 AM
I don't think it would be too hard to build a smooth variac for power supplied to the motor.

I'm thinking that the battery itself would just change the car so much because of the physical space it would take, and in one large location. A totally new concept of chassis and design would be a very busy and evolving process.

How about safety issues from fires, possible overheating, batteries exploding, ie driver safety?

How long batteries would last, especially in long features. Weakening batteries coming into play especially during longer races and cautions. Shorter feature races?

Wide bore batteries!!!!! (An inside quip, just for you. lol)

KAOS
01-30-2018, 12:02 PM
I don't think not driving or electric cars will kill anything. First off the PBR (Professional Bull Riders) does very well in NYC, and has been gaining in popularity for decades despite the fact that less and less live in rural areas. Another is most people who watch the other sports never played them in a organized manner. Finally their can still be racing with internal combustion engines and electric cars being the main passenger car.

Clayton_Wetter
01-30-2018, 12:19 PM
I don't think not driving or electric cars will kill anything. First off the PBR (Professional Bull Riders) does very well in NYC, and has been gaining in popularity for decades despite the fact that less and less live in rural areas. Another is most people who watch the other sports never played them in a organized manner. Finally their can still be racing with internal combustion engines and electric cars being the main passenger car.

Now that's more like it. The gas powered cars would still remain at the race tracks and the battery cars will be on the road. But I will not buy one personally. lol

My opinion is that if gasoline is to be replaced, that something far better than batteries will have to happen.

mcarter815
01-30-2018, 12:26 PM
I'm thinking that the battery itself would just change the car so much because of the physical space it would take, and in one large location. A totally new concept of chassis and design would be a very busy and evolving process.How about safety issues from fires, possible overheating, batteries exploding, ie driver safety?How long batteries would last, especially in long features. Weakening batteries coming into play especially during longer races and cautions. Shorter feature races? Wide bore batteries!!!!! (An inside quip, just for you. lol)I don't think it's anymore dangerous than breaking a carb off, rolling upside down and leaking fuel onto the headers, or knocking the fuel pump off the engine in a crash. They have already tested electric midget race cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho4xdJvmrnA

Matt49
01-30-2018, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking that the battery itself would just change the car so much because of the physical space it would take, and in one large location. A totally new concept of chassis and design would be a very busy and evolving process.

How about safety issues from fires, possible overheating, batteries exploding, ie driver safety?

How long batteries would last, especially in long features. Weakening batteries coming into play especially during longer races and cautions. Shorter feature races?

Wide bore batteries!!!!! (An inside quip, just for you. lol)

We're obviously getting a little off topic here but fun to discuss nonetheless.
Lithium Polymer batteries have changed the landscape of smaller forms of motorsports like RC cars and trucks. Combined with brushless motors, they FAR outperform their gas-powered (Nitro) counterparts that were far superior back in the day of brushed motors pushed by heavy NiMH batteries. In the RC world, Nitro stuff is dying quickly as the brushless motors and LiPo batteries are much faster and easier to maintain.
From a technology standpoint, there is no reason that this won't scale to full size cars. Even race cars. LiPo batteries are VERY light weight and with the speed controllers in use, there is no power output drop through battery drain due to the way they do a continuous discharge on the battery.
All that being said, everyone sure will miss the sound and it will be a whole new ball game when it comes to tech on power plants. I'm certainly not ready for it but it will happen eventually.
Anyway this is all old news really. Open wheel is already doing it a high level with Formula E. Everything trickles down in motorsports and electric power will be no exception. But it will take a while.

Clayton_Wetter
01-30-2018, 12:55 PM
I don't think it's anymore dangerous than breaking a carb off, rolling upside down and leaking fuel onto the headers, or knocking the fuel pump off the engine in a crash. They have already tested electric midget race cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho4xdJvmrnA

Well at least they don't have to push start them. :)

CageFaraday
01-30-2018, 04:05 PM
We're obviously getting a little off topic here but fun to discuss nonetheless.
Lithium Polymer batteries have changed the landscape of smaller forms of motorsports like RC cars and trucks. Combined with brushless motors, they FAR outperform their gas-powered (Nitro) counterparts that were far superior back in the day of brushed motors pushed by heavy NiMH batteries. In the RC world, Nitro stuff is dying quickly as the brushless motors and LiPo batteries are much faster and easier to maintain.
From a technology standpoint, there is no reason that this won't scale to full size cars. Even race cars. LiPo batteries are VERY light weight and with the speed controllers in use, there is no power output drop through battery drain due to the way they do a continuous discharge on the battery.
All that being said, everyone sure will miss the sound and it will be a whole new ball game when it comes to tech on power plants. I'm certainly not ready for it but it will happen eventually.
Anyway this is all old news really. Open wheel is already doing it a high level with Formula E. Everything trickles down in motorsports and electric power will be no exception. But it will take a while.
Formula E is in decline, they just lost there key event 2 weeks ago, sponsors and promoters are pulling out because it isn't profitable. Electric car sales are in decline. Electric cars were a big buzz once before, then gas got cheaper, mileage improved and interest plummeted. Tesla still hasn't even turned a profit. To me its just a fad, like Ugzz and parachute pants. Since younger peeps don't even want cars or to learn to drive, then they won't buy electric either. Smart cities is probably the only place electric might make a go of it, but in rural areas I don't see it. They've already shot down Elon's tractor trailer he said he was gonna do and the explosion and fire for these electric cars is far worse than what we get now from a fuel pump getting knocked off.

mcarter815
01-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Tesla doesn't need to turn an immediate profit. Just look at Amazon for an example of a company that never focused on profits and that hasn't slowed them down. Tesla is playing the long game. Electric car sales in 2017 were up 25% from 2016 in the U.S. They still have a long way to go to make a real dent in the market share, but I think it's reasonable to think that in 10 to 15 years electric cars are going to be common. Once fast charging is figured out, they are a no-brainer for the average consumer because they require less maintenance with the fewer fluids and moving parts compared to an internal combustion engine. Also, gas prices are going back up with the rising cost of crude. They were artificially low in the last year when the Saudis were pumping up the supply. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/01/2017-was-the-best-year-ever-for-electric-vehicle-sales-in-the-us/

KAOS
01-30-2018, 07:18 PM
Faraday, GM plans on having 20+ different electric models by 2023. Also just want clear something up from earlier posts. I think electric cars could kill crate racing because there would be less support from GM. I don't think that means all race cars would be electric.

chupp n bloomer fan
01-31-2018, 04:42 AM
Tesla doesn't need to turn an immediate profit. Just look at Amazon for an example of a company that never focused on profits and that hasn't slowed them down. Tesla is playing the long game. Electric car sales in 2017 were up 25% from 2016 in the U.S. They still have a long way to go to make a real dent in the market share, but I think it's reasonable to think that in 10 to 15 years electric cars are going to be common. Once fast charging is figured out, they are a no-brainer for the average consumer because they require less maintenance with the fewer fluids and moving parts required to make a combustion engine run. Also, gas prices are going back up with the rising cost of crude. They were artificially low in the last year when the Saudis were pumping up the supply. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/01/2017-was-the-best-year-ever-for-electric-vehicle-sales-in-the-us/Did you just use facts on 4m, ahh heck no:).

They get the fast charging in check it’ll catch on more.

Josh Bayko
01-31-2018, 07:34 AM
Tesla doesn't need to turn an immediate profit. Just look at Amazon for an example of a company that never focused on profits and that hasn't slowed them down. Tesla is playing the long game. Electric car sales in 2017 were up 25% from 2016 in the U.S. They still have a long way to go to make a real dent in the market share, but I think it's reasonable to think that in 10 to 15 years electric cars are going to be common. Once fast charging is figured out, they are a no-brainer for the average consumer because they require less maintenance with the fewer fluids and moving parts required to make a combustion engine run. Also, gas prices are going back up with the rising cost of crude. They were artificially low in the last year when the Saudis were pumping up the supply. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/01/2017-was-the-best-year-ever-for-electric-vehicle-sales-in-the-us/

Tesla isn't going to lead the charge into electric vehicles, they can't even get vehicles out there in a timely fashion.

I honestly think the Tesla's long term goal was getting bought out by a much bigger manufacturer. Thing is, all the big manufacturers have started development of their own electronic vehicles, so the investment in buying Tesla would be pointless.

mcarter815
01-31-2018, 07:49 AM
Tesla isn't going to lead the charge into electric vehicles, they can't even get vehicles out there in a timely fashion. I honestly think the Tesla's long term goal was getting bought out by a much bigger manufacturer. Thing is, all the big manufacturers have started development of their own electronic vehicles, so the investment in buying Tesla would be pointless.True. I think Tesla’s real value is in R&D and showing that there is an interest in electric vehicles. The bigger manufacturers are more risk-sensitive by nature.

Clayton_Wetter
01-31-2018, 03:39 PM
Tesla isn't going to lead the charge into electric vehicles, they can't even get vehicles out there in a timely fashion.

I honestly think the Tesla's long term goal was getting bought out by a much bigger manufacturer. Thing is, all the big manufacturers have started development of their own electronic vehicles, so the investment in buying Tesla would be pointless.

If electricity is 12 cents per kWh — the national average — it would cost $3.48 to go 100 miles

Home charging stations take from 4 to eight hours to fully charge the car.

old17ford
02-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Fastford do you build any NLMS engines ?

jog49
02-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Fords are banned from most tracks because they leave too much iron oxide on the grounds while rusting away, thus polluting the environment. Dodges are also banned because, quite frankly, what is the use of having large boat anchors at a race track?

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Tesla doesn't need to turn an immediate profit. Just look at Amazon for an example of a company that never focused on profits and that hasn't slowed them down. Tesla is playing the long game. Electric car sales in 2017 were up 25% from 2016 in the U.S. They still have a long way to go to make a real dent in the market share, but I think it's reasonable to think that in 10 to 15 years electric cars are going to be common. Once fast charging is figured out, they are a no-brainer for the average consumer because they require less maintenance with the fewer fluids and moving parts compared to an internal combustion engine. Also, gas prices are going back up with the rising cost of crude. They were artificially low in the last year when the Saudis were pumping up the supply. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/01/2017-was-the-best-year-ever-for-electric-vehicle-sales-in-the-us/

You run out of bond buyers eventually, if no path to profits is in sight.

Krooser
02-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I don't think it's anymore dangerous than breaking a carb off, rolling upside down and leaking fuel onto the headers, or knocking the fuel pump off the engine in a crash. They have already tested electric midget race cars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho4xdJvmrnA

Those are now called "Little People" race cars...

fastford
02-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Fastford do you build any NLMS engines ?

i did some work for a guy down your way , i think he lived over by tifton , several years ago when NLMS was just starting , but i have not looked at the rules lately...