PDA

View Full Version : Another Exploding Wheel - Injury

TheJet-09
02-07-2018, 01:34 PM
https://racingnews.co/2018/02/07/brad-loyet-undergoes-surgery-after-tire-malfunction-during-inflation/

I'm not sure what needs to be done, but this is no longer the side of a trailer we're talking about. Two people have gotten hurt, seriously, and we've barely started the season.

I just hope the EPJ crew member (JC Wright) and Loyet are able to make full recoveries.

zeroracing
02-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Anybody know what brand EPJ was using?

Mindwalker
02-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Lets try and not make a joke of this one..... This is no joke! Wishing a full recovery.

TheJet-09
02-07-2018, 01:46 PM
https://racingnews.co/2018/02/02/tire-explodes-at-the-earl-pearson-jrs-hauler-crew-member-in-surgery-with-scheduled-release/

This is about the EPJ incident. It doesn't say what brand.

Definitely makes me rethink how I do things. My shop is a good 200 feet behind my house, and I typically like to work when everyone else is sleeping. Sounds like Loyet benefited from the aid of one of his guys.

MRM
02-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Sounds like a bad batch of wheels, if they are the same brand.

Kromulous
02-07-2018, 02:14 PM
35lbs of air in a LM tire? Wow that’s crazy, sounds like the bead is over sized not allowing the tire to seat easily.

billetbirdcage
02-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Krom, welds failed and the wheel came apart. In EPJ's case they where stretching a tire not seating the bead.

The other: "“Secondly if you own even one Keizer wheel throw it in the trash! I’ve aired up thousands of tires and am very lucky to even be writing this right now. Weld broke clean off on only one side as it did not penetrate both pieces of metal! Spend the money and pay for quality!” Doesn't say anything about PSI that I saw

formercrewguy
02-07-2018, 02:57 PM
We typically inflate new tires to 30psi after mounting, for 5 minutes,then let all the air out and inflate to race pressure. Never had a problem. If a wheel comes apart, I have to believe it had fatigue cracks long before it let loose. INSPECT YOUR WHEELS!!!!

zach51
02-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Hopefully Keizer sues his ass for slander

slmcrewchief99
02-07-2018, 03:02 PM
We have aired up thousands of them too BBC. We are all very lucky to have never blown 1 up. Krom, we stretch over half the tires we mount. Trying to find that perfect rollout. I for 1 dont inflate any of ours over 30lbs. Not saying that has helped but I still haven't blown any up before. Those things are nothing but a rubber hand grenade so I treat them carefully.
As far as wheels go. 99% of ours are Weld. Never had an issue with them. I guess Duralite is the only kind we have cussed before. Never had any of the Keizer wheels so I can't give an opinion. From what dealings we have with Stuckey and all the guys at B/D, I would be willing to bet it was a Weld wheel that blew. Another thing to consider with Stuckey. That is a new team. Everything they have is new. No matter the brand of wheel, it seems to have had a defect in it.
FWIW. JC had successful arm surgery and is back at EastBay with the B/D team.

muddy mike
02-07-2018, 03:05 PM
if its true Keizer should be called out on it.

billetbirdcage
02-07-2018, 03:13 PM
We have aired up thousands of them too BBC. We are all very lucky to have never blown 1 up. Krom, we stretch over half the tires we mount. Trying to find that perfect rollout. I for 1 dont inflate any of ours over 30lbs. Not saying that has helped but I still haven't blown any up before. Those things are nothing but a rubber hand grenade so I treat them carefully.
As far as wheels go. 99% of ours are Weld. Never had an issue with them. I guess Duralite is the only kind we have cussed before. Never had any of the Keizer wheels so I can't give an opinion. From what dealings we have with Stuckey and all the guys at B/D, I would be willing to bet it was a Weld wheel that blew. Another thing to consider with Stuckey. That is a new team. Everything they have is new. No matter the brand of wheel, it seems to have had a defect in it.
FWIW. JC had successful arm surgery and is back at EastBay with the B/D team.

Same 30 PSI is my max but I usually stay around 25ish

Kromulous
02-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Tough dude if he is back at the track already, glad he is thou.

I must be to wimpy I guess 25lbs is all I ever would go lol.

Bad welds thou, that’s not good.

Personally never seen a wheel come a part, knock on wood, inspecting your wheels thou is a good idea. Might be able to spot a stress crack early.

billetbirdcage
02-07-2018, 03:19 PM
I got to admit, when I inspect wheels I mostly look at the center for cracks as in the past that is where you usually see them before it rips the center out of the wheel. I have never seen a crack around a weld area yet but probably will do a better job looking from now on.

billetbirdcage
02-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Anyone remember all the wheel failures they had a Bristol when the put dirt on it. The wheels just weren't strong enough, most had to go to the HS wheel over the XL which is the common wheel used. That was years ago too, are the cars fast enough now to cause more failures?

Krooser
02-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Might be time to think about using a tire cage like is used in the trucking and ag industries.... if nothing else inflate the tire with the bead lock facing down.

This comes from a guy who likes open face helmets!

https://martinsindustries.com/en/produits/MIC-4/4-bar-tire-inflation-cage/?gclid=CjwKCAiA5OrTBRBlEiwAXXhT6MIWc8z8qAq4dHxtx9F ypwJQT51EfahLqqR0uhusEkF6GrrjO2q5YBoC8yAQAvD_BwE

zach51
02-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Seems like a couple years back bloomer had a lot of wheel failures (before his explosion) and he admitted it was his fault because he wanted his spun so thin to save weight.

Krooser
02-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Lots of lube will help seat the bead... seen a few explode after the operator used 50 lbs to seat the bead.

cjsracing
02-07-2018, 03:39 PM

lol

If his Keizer wheel came a part because of a bad weld then it's not slander.

Escobar
02-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Jeremy Justice, formerly of Clint Bowyer's team lost a finger from a wheel exploding.

MI Dirt Fan
02-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Yea. Not sure where the slander part comes in.

Besides I thought you were suppose to use starter fluid and a blow torch...

Krooser
02-07-2018, 03:57 PM
http://keizerwheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/WheelMountingInstructions.pdf

MEE
02-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Might be time to think about using a tire cage like is used in the trucking and ag industries.... if nothing else inflate the tire with the bead lock facing down.

This comes from a guy who likes open face helmets!

https://martinsindustries.com/en/produits/MIC-4/4-bar-tire-inflation-cage/?gclid=CjwKCAiA5OrTBRBlEiwAXXhT6MIWc8z8qAq4dHxtx9F ypwJQT51EfahLqqR0uhusEkF6GrrjO2q5YBoC8yAQAvD_BwE

YEP
Let OSHA catch a trucking garage without one and see what happens.
I think they should be mandatory at all shops whether on road or in back yard.

fryefan
02-07-2018, 07:57 PM

You have that backwards. If their wheels explode at 35 psi, then he should be suing them.

One Man Gang
02-07-2018, 10:48 PM
MI Dirt Fan, you mentioned that starter fluid and torch trick. A guy here close to me got killed few years back his brother was attempting to blow a tractor tire back on the rim and sprayed a whole can of ether in it and lit it and BOOM. He was about 40 feet from where tire was laying when it went airborne he was pouring seed in a planter and it struck him killing him instantly and then went through the wall and landed about 25 feet outside man that crap ain't nothing to play with. I know this ain't got nothing to do with the incidents mentioned but just sharing that with MI Dirt Fan and if anybody on here ever does that trick BE VERY CAREFUL

MI Dirt Fan
02-07-2018, 10:54 PM
MI Dirt Fan, you mentioned that starter fluid and torch trick. A guy here close to me got killed few years back his brother was attempting to blow a tractor tire back on the rim and sprayed a whole can of ether in it and lit it and BOOM. He was about 40 feet from where tire was laying when it went airborne he was pouring seed in a planter and it struck him killing him instantly and then went through the wall and landed about 25 feet outside man that crap ain't nothing to play with. I know this ain't got nothing to do with the incidents mentioned but just sharing that with MI Dirt Fan and if anybody on here ever does that trick BE VERY CAREFUL

I seen some videos on YouTube of guys doing it with lawn mower tires. I didn't watch them though. Dumb@sses. Definitely don't recommend anyone doing that. There was a video on there a couple yrs ago of someone doing it with the RR of sprint car tires.

Bud99
02-08-2018, 08:49 AM
I built my own tire cage for the shop. A late model tire will just fit perfectly. I think it's a good idea to always use it. If there's a market for these, I would be more than happy to build these to save life's. People be careful out there. This is not something that should be ''brushed off''.

CageFaraday
02-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Anyone remember all the wheel failures they had a Bristol when the put dirt on it. The wheels just weren't strong enough, most had to go to the HS wheel over the XL which is the common wheel used. That was years ago too, are the cars fast enough now to cause more failures?

Duralite had and advertisement after that as, "The Only Wheel to Survive Bristol".

Josh Bayko
02-08-2018, 12:47 PM
You have that backwards. If their wheels explode at 35 psi, then he should be suing them.

Keizer recommends max air pressure is 30 lbs. if they went further further than that, it’s on them, not the wheel manufacturer.

Illtsate32
02-08-2018, 12:53 PM
I built my own tire cage for the shop. A late model tire will just fit perfectly. I think it's a good idea to always use it. If there's a market for these, I would be more than happy to build these to save life's. People be careful out there. This is not something that should be ''brushed off''.Build you a few and take em to the track with the incidents happening I think there may be a market for them could be profitable for you...