PDA

View Full Version : Xr1 ride heights

ltmdlr42
02-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Why/how are the xr1 cars running such a low ride height in the rf? The cars are not even on the gas and the rf is buried in the fender with what only looks like less than an inch to travel left. Meanwhile they still have what seems to be a good amount of drop when in the throttle.

CageFaraday
02-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Why/how are the xr1 cars running such a low ride height in the rf? The cars are not even on the gas and the rf is buried in the fender with what only looks like less than an inch to travel left. Meanwhile they still have what seems to be a good amount of drop when in the throttle.

http://insidedirtracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_4740-400x350.jpg
This shot is from 5 days ago, looks average to me. The reason they are dropping so easy without throttle is the, "Silly Soft" RF spring that collapses till it lands on the bump. They're so soft you could walk up and put your ffoot on the RF nose and it would start down. Between the shock valving and the soft spring they drop almost to bump just putting on the brakes or letting off the throttle, so... The RF spring really only is used to hold the nose up in the pits. Now some racers still like a slightly stiffer RF spring, but the Rocket house cars appear to be quite soft.

ltmdlr42
02-10-2018, 02:34 PM
http://insidedirtracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_4740-400x350.jpg
This shot is from 5 days ago, looks average to me. The reason they are dropping so easy without throttle is the, "Silly Soft" RF spring that collapses till it lands on the bump. They're so soft you could walk up and put your ffoot on the RF nose and it would start down. Between the shock valving and the soft spring they drop almost to bump just putting on the brakes or letting off the throttle, so... The RF spring really only is used to hold the nose up in the pits. Now some racers still like a slightly stiffer RF spring, but the Rocket house cars appear to be quite soft.

That makes sense. Just cant wrap my head around how they get by with so little travel in the rf. Also your meaning they are running a bump stop not the dual stack spring deal correct?

CageFaraday
02-10-2018, 02:47 PM
That makes sense. Just cant wrap my head around how they get by with so little travel in the rf. Also your meaning they are running a bump stop not the dual stack spring deal correct?

Its not a small ride height, the nose drops several inches from ride height. I have never been under either of the Rocket house cars, but they could be running either dual spring or bump or both. Something has to be there to keep from crashing into the track surface, my guess is a bump. Now "Ride Height" is measured and set when the car is absolutely still, once the car starts moving the slightest change in direction or decel and the nose will begin to drop. Conversely when they accelerate hard the LR will, "Hike up" and push the RF the rest of the way down. So if your looking at the car moving, unless they turn it hard right, the RF will fall. Its that soft...

dirtcrazy4u
02-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Watching at GIS. The swerving motion as the cars are under caution is were you really see it also. Driver turns left and the RF just drops . He steers it right and up the RF pops. Under acceleration, the air just buries the nose of these cars, yet as soon as they get off the throttle back up it comes. I think today's car is so air dependent that it makes a huge difference in today's bodies. I personally believe air, shock valving, and bump stop height is so important today.

grt74
02-10-2018, 08:42 PM
its all about dynamic load, the next rule will be a rf ride height like the asphalt guys, they have been doing the samething for years

blncfn57
02-11-2018, 06:11 AM

Rumor has it that some of the Rocket guys are running air shocks on 3 corners, under certain conditions.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Rumor has it that some of the Rocket guys are running air shocks on 3 corners, under certain conditions.

I was told that was not legal.

CageFaraday
02-11-2018, 10:07 AM
I was told that was not legal.

I think "Legal" has become somewhat of a fluid concept, sadly. They made a big deal about Francis being the new sheriff and how he was sending guys to the trailer left and right, but from my vantage point everything looked status quo. Somebody said we hit an iceberg, but I'm sure the water tight doors will save us...