PDA

View Full Version : Alternator with a master kill switch

rocetwildone
02-12-2018, 01:11 PM
I am installing an alternator this year and have a concern that my master kill switch that is mounted in the negitive battry calbe will not kill the motor?
I know on a street car if you remove the negitiave cable the car will continue to run.

Racermb
02-12-2018, 02:26 PM
you need a 4 post battery disconnect. 2 posts for the battery cable and 2 for the alternator wire.

7uptruckracer
02-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Been there done that. Didn't find out till I needed to kill the motor and it kept on running get a 4 Post Switch

Matt49
02-12-2018, 02:39 PM
You do need a 4 post disconnect. You can save some on wiring by jumping the alternator wire across the switch instead of running an extra wire from the switch to the battery.
Like this: https://karlperformance.com/images/F176618263.jpg

huckleberry_hound
03-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Matt, Is the method you’re saying to use wired into the ground (negative) side of battery? I’m thinking when using an alternator, you’d have to run wire from alt. to one small terminal on disconnect and wire from battery positive to other small terminal on disconnect. Then 2 big lugs on disconnect could be in negative circuit to and from battery per lucas oil rules

westlingracing
03-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Depends on alternator. Some require a switch so they don't drain the battery or ruin the alternator. Some you just run direct to battery and not worry about it. With the new switch rules I'd just n
Buy a new alternator.