PDA

View Full Version : Modern DLM's?

Kromulous
02-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Anyone at Speedweeks or Voulsia? and see Davenports or Bloomquist's car in person?

Does anyone on here car to speculate on what you saw? Couple things that really stood out to me.

1.) Its going to be a long year for anyone other than Davenport, that car is in another league.

I noticed him and Bloomquist are running an insane amount of front stagger. Bloomer i believe had a 88 on the LF, i got a close up pic but the lettering was ground off. I looked at both tires on the front and i would say between 5" to 8" front roll out, stagger.

Davenports car looks to be using both leftside as 88"s really small tires.

The 49 car looks to be running a load of leftside weight, the LF suspension never moves upward at all, with the LR miles in the air. The car really turns much like a asphalt car. The RF travel he runs is another thing, he must be on a air shock with a bump, the amount of shock travel is another thing.

A lot to think about there, was fun seeing all the tracks. I think i liked Voulsia the best, but Bubba;s was cool too.

manwplan
02-15-2018, 11:45 AM
So first the size couldn't have been ground off because it is illegal to deface the markings on a tire. Second, with Lucas you are only allowed 28.5 RIB tires on the fronts and left rear so it would be impossible to run a lot of stagger. At best with 28.5s you might be able to get 2" maybe. Third, with UMP tires they make an 88 (most guys run 1-92 and 3-90s). So maybe if they ran a 92 on the RF and a 88 on the LF you could get 5" of stagger. Me thinks you think too hard. On an independent suspension stagger is not near as critical as it is on a straight axle connected suspension.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-15-2018, 12:02 PM
So first the size couldn't have been ground off because it is illegal to deface the markings on a tire. Second, with Lucas you are only allowed 28.5 RIB tires on the fronts and left rear so it would be impossible to run a lot of stagger. At best with 28.5s you might be able to get 2" maybe. Third, with UMP tires they make an 88 (most guys run 1-92 and 3-90s). So maybe if they ran a 92 on the RF and a 88 on the LF you could get 5" of stagger. Me thinks you think too hard. On an independent suspension stagger is not near as critical as it is on a straight axle connected suspension.

You could get a 88 at 85" and a 92 at 93" easy enough.

It isn't as critical, but will affect frame height and braking forces.

Kromulous
02-15-2018, 01:26 PM
The tire size and compound were ground off, you can believe it if you want, doesn't matter to me. I have a pic but i cant post it, if you want an email i can send that.

The better question to me thou is, why is he running that crazy amount of front stagger?

I also seen his crew guys trying to put the LR tire on, almost like watching a monkey F a football, anyway. One was jacking the BC up, the LR hub was about 6" off the ground while the car was on the lift. The one guy jacked the BC up, 2 others stood on the bumper to compress the air shock i presume, otherwise they couldn't get the tire on.

Also with the car on the lift, the LR tire was resting on the ground.

Kromulous
02-15-2018, 01:28 PM
A lot of front stagger would add wedge / LR bite to the car?

Also i would the braking forces would help the car turn in?

7uptruckracer
02-15-2018, 02:07 PM
what tires are most running for the low stagger setups?

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-15-2018, 04:04 PM
A lot of front stagger would add wedge / LR bite to the car?

Also i would the braking forces would help the car turn in?

Keeping all else the same, front stagger would add lots of wedge.

As the tire diameter increases, the contact patch/ground interface is farther from the center of the wheel. During braking, it takes more braking force to slide the tire.

The bigger tire also has more inertia while coasting.

riddle28
02-16-2018, 07:04 AM
as much as everyone is focusing on sticking the rf these days, why would you not run the widest tire available?

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-16-2018, 08:51 AM
as much as everyone is focusing on sticking the rf these days, why would you not run the widest tire available?

The trade off is the tall sidewall makes steering lazy.

Matt49
02-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Yes. The difference between running 92s and 90s up front is very noticeable from the driver's seat. Feels like the rack ratio changed. As a guy that came up running go-karts, it's a much more desirable feel.
90s are also way easier to mount on non-beadlock wheels than 92s in my opinion.

grt74
02-16-2018, 11:06 AM
florida is a different animal all to its own, you just have to do what works down there, I'm going to say that if they are running that much, it was a clearance deal.(bottoming out) of coarse there is a better way to do it but with all the bumps and stacks out there it takes more time and work to raise the dynamic state of the front end with the coil overs, than just bolting on a tire

Kromulous
02-16-2018, 12:04 PM
That's an interesting viewpoint, more RF clearance with the bigger RF tire. Although it seems like Bloomquist was intentionally after a super small LF tire, it was so small it looked out of place on the car.

Anyway, i was thinking if they added all the LF weight, lead filled components etc. Plus all the heavy LR components i would think his left side % was sky high 60 plus %?, plus quite abit of wedge in the car. He must be running some high wedge set up. I know one thing at Eastbay him and Richards got so tight later in the race that they both were showing the front ends all over the track, once it got to half way thru the race or so, and started backing up.

mickley.28
02-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Thy should have got looser as the race went on not tighter unless the track was taking rubber.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Thy should have got looser as the race went on not tighter unless the track was taking rubber.

The rubber was coming during most features.