PDA

View Full Version : Cost to install a new front clip...

Krooser
02-19-2018, 05:57 PM
What's the approximate cost to re-clip a Mastersbilt Smackdown? Looking for a real number give or take a few bucks. Just wondering...

08racing
02-19-2018, 06:14 PM
I had a smackdown front clip installed a few years ago. When I was pricing it, Mastersbilt had quoted me a price that was literally 1/3 the cost of a brand new chassis (without powdercoat), around $1700 at the time. I had a local chassis shop do it on their home made jig for $1400. That saved me the haul from PA to Indiana. However, I wish I took that drive to Indiana. Whoever does the work, make sure they do it right and get some references from local racers.

For a Smackdown chassis, you could buy a nice used one for less than the cost of a clip...

Zach

a25rjr
02-19-2018, 06:33 PM
What's the approximate cost to re-clip a Mastersbilt Smackdown? Looking for a real number give or take a few bucks. Just wondering...

Use Blackies sponsorship and call Tader! :)

Krooser
02-20-2018, 06:50 AM
Might have to do that if and when the time comes.

In addition to his big $$$ deal he promised me he'd supply me with tires this year. He's a man of his word...yesterday UPS dropped off three 6:50/13 snow tires mounted on Ford Pinto wheels...above and beyond if you ask me!

TheJet-09
02-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Is this for your project build?

Kromulous
02-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Its interesting to me how most people believe these cars are closely controlled tolerance race cars. In particularly the chassis. How tight of a tolerance would you expect a jig of any kind to hold on a SLM Chassis?

It was told to me, by a couple people the 1st thing a lot of big name Drivers would do in the not to long ago days would saw off the front end of a new chassis. Then put the pieces back on the jig, and weld it back together. In an effort to relieve weld stress and pull etc.

CCHIEF
02-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Wet hair, shampoo,rinse, repeat...it would be an endless cycle. I can tell you there are many options that a particular car may have, depends how it is spec'ed out when ordered, what ...and who you know....tubing thickness,tubing placement,orientation (triangulate or not),etc.

FlatTire
02-22-2018, 01:52 PM
The last one I had to do was a 1/3 of the cost of a new chassis.

I thought I read one time that Rocket builds there cars in 3 sections and them welds them together to reduce the effects of weld stress.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-22-2018, 02:31 PM
The last one I had to do was a 1/3 of the cost of a new chassis.

I thought I read one time that Rocket builds there cars in 3 sections and them welds them together to reduce the effects of weld stress.

That method was introduced on the Rumley Longhorn. I would guess the XR1 is done the same.

Krooser
02-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Is this for your project build?
Too advanced for me.

Krooser
02-24-2018, 08:18 PM
That method was introduced on the Rumley Longhorn. I would guess the XR1 is done the same.

There a YouTube video that shows the 3 piece deal