PDA

View Full Version : 604 Crate Question

bananahammack32
02-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Finally joining crate nation and wondering if there are any differences between a Speedway Crate vs Karl's or Friesen's IMCA GM604.

How about header choice? Is there a noticeable power difference in one brand vs. the other? Or is it more about build quality? I have called around, but of course, each person I had called has the "best crate" and the best header seems to be whatever dealer is in their catalogs.

What is everyone's opinion on buying a used one?

Thanks

CageFaraday
02-25-2018, 09:28 AM
The dilemma that exists because of the crate "sealing" strategy is that engines exist that have been tampered with and resealed with counterfeit bolts. So its possible to buy a used engine only to find out its cheated up and then you get penalized. To me this is whats inherently wrong with crate racing at its core, the seals. Some series have even adopted rules that penalize you if you have the engine rebuilt, with you being forced to add weight. To me the seals need to be dropped altogether. But to answer your question, the safest avenue would be to buy a new crate engine and not from and individual. As to who to purchase a "New" factory sealed engine from, its not suppose to matter since they all come from GM the same.

ride height
02-25-2018, 09:45 AM
The crate problem is that all tech guys do is look and see if it HAS seals. They dont tech these motors. At least around here. Its all a joke. If you show up with a box stock crate, youre likely to get run over.
There are motor builders who openly advertise cheating up your crate and putting seals on it. Ever how high you stack the money on their desk, the more HP youll get. Like I said, the whole thing is a joke. There is rarely tech, so what do you think is going on out there?

a25rjr
02-25-2018, 04:58 PM
The crate problem is that all tech guys do is look and see if it HAS seals. They dont tech these motors. At least around here. Its all a joke. If you show up with a box stock crate, youre likely to get run over.
There are motor builders who openly advertise cheating up your crate and putting seals on it. Ever how high you stack the money on their desk, the more HP youll get. Like I said, the whole thing is a joke. There is rarely tech, so what do you think is going on out there?

Ya think???.....Heres Mullins options!

http://www.mullinsraceengines.com/engines-enhanced-602-604

ride height
02-25-2018, 07:10 PM
Well....there ya go. Joke. I bet hes selling that 90hp extra motor like a hot dog vendor at a ballgame.
Youd think tech people would be insulted enough by this blatant “middle finger” to at least tech these things once in awhile.