PDA

View Full Version : Race official attacked!

a25rjr
02-26-2018, 03:32 PM
I heard an official at New Smyrna was attacked by a driver's dad.

Anyone heard or seen anything?

I know there's some truth to it because it was announced at another tracks driver meeting!

JCSullivan00
02-26-2018, 05:04 PM
It was a mis-understanding. A driver was DQ'd for going too fast under caution to catch back up. The official leaned into his window to tell him what was going on, and the kids dad thought someone was attacking him, so he came down and tackled him. After the talked it out, they both decided it was just a bad oversight and there was no ill will or hard feelings by the official. He understood the dads actions.

blncfn57
02-26-2018, 05:44 PM
It was a mis-understanding. A driver was DQ'd for going too fast under caution to catch back up. The official leaned into his window to tell him what was going on, and the kids dad thought someone was attacking him, so he came down and tackled him. After the talked it out, they both decided it was just a bad oversight and there was no ill will or hard feelings by the official. He understood the dads actions.

don't most race officials wear different clothing than anyone else?

Mindwalker
02-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Been awhile but I've seen track officials lean in and rough up a driver.

CIRF
02-26-2018, 08:35 PM
I heard an official at New Smyrna was attacked by a driver's dad.

Anyone heard or seen anything?

I know there's some truth to it because it was announced at another tracks driver meeting!Hmmm, I didn't know Tony Stewart had any kids! LOL!

Been awhile but I've seen track officials lean in and rough up a driver.Blackie, I've also seen that happen and on occasion it didn't end well for the track official.

Check out this video of Chargin' Charlie Swartz racing a late model down under in Australia. The track official ended up on his back and prolly wished he'd never stuck his head in Charlie's car. Jack Hewitt got in on the deal, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWFbPCk8zHk

brsteg
02-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Official was also head tech director; and he had no obvious markings of being a race official. Having a head set meant nothing as the asphalt boys have radios. Happened during Speedweeks and was shown live on Fanschoice.TV
Watched it happen... everyone was very confused.
Account given about mistaken identity and dad feeling son was under threat was what happened.

CageFaraday
02-28-2018, 07:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWFbPCk8zHk

Leave it to Charlie. WOW! Would've loved to see what led up to that. I kinda thought as rough and tough as Aussie's are rumored to be that they would like that kinda thing. But that official seemed to be hamming it up for taking one punch from someone strapped in a car. That one dude who kept coming back for more was a riot. Then Combs and the others decide during the confusion a little tune up would be a good idea. Half expected a spring change. ROFL. Ah, those were the good ole days, seemed like Charlie always ended up on his roof holding a jack handle, he must like it up there.