PDA

View Full Version : Top Hose

7uptruckracer
03-13-2018, 01:26 PM
AN 16 or 20 and why? Hose isn't an option for our rules. We do run a 3/4 Restrictor

Burke1118
03-14-2018, 12:13 PM
For the radiator? Why do you run a restrictor?

Brian Gray
04-08-2018, 06:52 PM
20 and loose the restriction. Keeping the water moving fast helps insure that every surface is making contact and transferring heat. Keeps air from collecting in the high spots as well.

bullittwrench
04-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Need help understanding this guys. For years I have been told too high of water velocity in the radiator and it wont pick up the heat properly. Thanks I just read Stewart Components tech tips on thermostats and restrictors. I understand now.

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Need help understanding this guys. For years I have been told too high of water velocity in the radiator and it wont pick up the heat properly. Thanks I just read Stewart Components tech tips on thermostats and restrictors. I understand now.

I can tell you I have reduced engine temp by adding a thermostat on several occasions.

Certainly, too much restriction would cause a vacuum at the pump inlet and cause cavitation. Too low pressure inside the cooling jackets and boiling occurs at the interface. You also need the correct difference in radiator inlet temp vs radiator exit temp. If that difference is small, you are not ejecting heat from the system.

The thermostat may or may not help because the water moves slower. It may also have to do with adding turbulence to the water flow. Turbulent flow removes more heat than laminar flow.

bullittwrench
04-09-2018, 11:22 AM
What is your opinion on the Stewart Hi Flo thermostat #301? Wasted money or not a bad idea?

Kromulous
04-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Water pressure gauge help tell you what you need to do with your cooling system?

7uptruckracer
04-10-2018, 10:44 AM
20 and loose the restriction. Keeping the water moving fast helps insure that every surface is making contact and transferring heat. Keeps air from collecting in the high spots as well.
Here is what I don't get on that. Whats the ID on -16 and -20 hose. I wenr with AN 16 because the -20 is so hard to find locally. The ID is about .88 So running a .75 restriction isn't much different, So is it really doing anything besides keeping the same flow into the coolant system

Matt49
04-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Water pressure gauge help tell you what you need to do with your cooling system?

You mean my radiator cap isn't my pressure gauge? :-)