PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter

Bmfer
03-22-2018, 09:09 AM
I am using the Peterson inline oil filter with the stainless screen and I'm wandering if I still need a spin on filter or is the screen filter all I Need? I have an wet sump with external oil pump.

TheJet-09
03-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Assuming the filter you describe is an O-Berg type, those are typically used on the return side of things, prior to the oil pump, to protect it from any debris coming out of the engine. Also, to give you a way of inspecting it for said debris. I would always run a filter (spin-on type) on the pressure side, prior to the oil entering the engine to filter the oil, and further protect the engine.

I'm not an engine guy, so I can't give you the specific reasoning, but I'm guessing it's due to surface area of the filters themselves (or something close).

Bmfer
03-22-2018, 11:15 AM
This is a canister filter with removable screen. It's a 60 micron. I have the pre screen on it before the pump too. Peterson states this is all I need but I'm not familiar with this.

powerslide
03-22-2018, 10:02 PM
i would still run a paper filter in the system. Those canisters just don't stop enough.