PDA

View Full Version : Chicago racing legend Lil John Provenzano to race Eldora truck race for Mike Affarano

HoosierDirtFan
03-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Just seen this on the Mike Provenzano Racing Facebook page.
Chicago area racing legend Lil' John Provenzanoto run the Eldora truck race for Mike Affarano Motorsports.

This is cool to see. John has been a staple in this region since the late 1970's / early 1980's. Never really had a whole lot of money but could drive. I know it might be a slim chance for him to make the race but I wish him the best of luck.

TMaCiLLiNi39
03-27-2018, 07:19 AM
Let’s pull back the reins a little bit on the term “Racing Legend”....

WisWildManFan
03-27-2018, 07:22 AM
That's awesome

dirtluver
03-27-2018, 07:45 AM
In the 70's and 80's LiL John is concidered a "Racing Legend". He ran very well and raced with the best every weekend. He may not have won crown jewel races like they have today. But, did win alot of big races at Santa Fe and Kankakee and Lasalle and other Midwest shows against some of the best. And one thing that stands out with me his how he helped alot of local racers. Even years after he retired he still can hang with some of the best. For some of the older fans LiL John is a Racing Legend...He's one of last Old school racers left, and still enjoys racing when ever he gets the chance. Guys like Jim O'connor and Tony Izzo sr. (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Nelson and many more Older midwest legends would tell you how good LiL John is and was. Good Luck LiL John in truck race and still able to do what you love.

EvelB7
03-27-2018, 08:06 AM
I remember Joe Merryfield telling my dad in the late 70's how tough Sante Fe was because of Provenzano, Izzo, etc. Also think he mentioned the time he outran them and lost the headlights in his truck as he was leaving!

CIRF
03-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Lil' John was plenty tough in his day, no one who watched him race with a half a brain would dispute that. I guess to those of us who frequented tracks like La Salle, Kankakee, and prior to it's demise, Santa Fe Lil' John is a legend.

One incident that John probably would like to forget was the deal at Santa Fe during the National Clay Track Championship 200. A lot of people blamed Lil' John for that HUGE crash back in the day. Tom Rients told me he had fuel splattered on him and there was fuel running into the storm drain. One little spark and that deal could have been a LOT worse!

I wish Lil' John all the luck in the world during his time at Eldora driving the NASCAR truck. Really hope he has a great finish!

TackyTracker
03-27-2018, 11:48 AM
I'd consider him a "racing legend"

I wonder how this deal came about?? either way it's pretty cool

dirty-white-boy
03-27-2018, 12:05 PM
LMAO! Great response!

HoosierDirtFan
03-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Lil' John was plenty tough in his day, no one who watched him race with a half a brain would dispute that. I guess to those of us who frequented tracks like La Salle, Kankakee, and prior to it's demise, Santa Fe Lil' John is a legend.

One incident that John probably would like to forget was the deal at Santa Fe during the National Clay Track Championship 200. A lot of people blamed Lil' John for that HUGE crash back in the day. Tom Rients told me he had fuel splattered on him and there was fuel running into the storm drain. One little spark and that deal could have been a LOT worse!

I wish Lil' John all the luck in the world during his time at Eldora driving the NASCAR truck. Really hope he has a great finish!

I was at Santa Fe that day. Wasn't really his fault. A bolt broke on his transmission shift linkage and couldn't get car back in gear and slowed on the back strait. When he got to turn 3 the second and 3rd place cars collided with him. The dust from those 2 cars caused the 18 car pile up. When John pulled into the infield the fixed the linkage and he finished in the top 10 that day.

bullring
03-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned Sycamore Speedway. Before his success at the other tracks mentioned, he was the late model track champion at Sycamore in 1977. He had to be pretty young back then.

It will be cool seeing a guy that raced locally get a shot instead of a kid with a rich old man buying him a ride.

CIRF
03-27-2018, 12:26 PM
I was at Santa Fe that day. Wasn't really his fault. A bolt broke on his transmission shift linkage and couldn't get car back in gear and slowed on the back strait. When he got to turn 3 the second and 3rd place cars collided with him. The dust from those 2 cars caused the 18 car pile up. When John pulled into the infield the fixed the linkage and he finished in the top 10 that day.

I wasn't there due to the fact that the time of year they held the NCTC 200 I'm generally working 14 to 16 hours a day, every day. However, that's a somewhat different version from what was related to me by several spectators and crew members that were also in attendance and whose interpretation of the incident I believe and trust implicitly. Forgive me if I take their word for it over yours.

golddirt
03-27-2018, 12:34 PM
I thought John won that race.

FastEd95
03-27-2018, 12:42 PM
No doubt Lil' John is a "Chicago area racing legend." Saw him win the Santa Fe 200-lapper in '92, I believe. Also, remember him running the Gopher 50 at Owatonna, MN and for a while, the NASCAR Busch All Star Tour, back in the '90s. I hope he does well at Eldora!

IL LM Fan
03-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Congrats to Lil' John and I hope he does well.
As for the infamous National Clay Track Championship, there are a couple different versions of what actually started it. This was the first year the day race was ran without Howard. The Track was extremely dusty. Add to that the Sun was setting over turns three and four.
To the casual fan, it appeared Lil' John had slowed with issues but didn't go to the infield. Next thing you know, cars were piling up on the back stretch right past were he slowed. It was so dusty ,and combined with the sun, they were still piling into the mess full throttle.
There was something like a 2 hour break. Lil' John got his Tranny fixed and did win the Race.
It was conditions more than anything.

golddirt
03-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Thanks. I did go back and research after I made my previous post just to be sure.

Krooser
03-28-2018, 05:03 AM
I remember Joe Merryfield telling my dad in the late 70's how tough Sante Fe was because of Provenzano, Izzo, etc. Also think he mentioned the time he outran them and lost the headlights in his truck as he was leaving!

That was a ruff crowd to race against... Especially for an outsider.