PDA

View Full Version : Expense

Centeroff
04-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Anyone have a clue what the cost of running a super national caliber team compared to a WOO sprint car would be? Been to 2 big sprint races in my life and it just wasn’t my cup of tea. No biggie just curious

Zonks32x
04-23-2018, 11:33 PM
It cost more to run the WoO sprint tour than the LM tour.

Top teams haul 2 cars, 3-4 wings, and 3-4 extra bullets at 40k + each.

Many of the full-time sprint teams have at least 3 extra cars back at the shop.

Biggest reason WoO sprint deal cost more is the fact they race twice as many nights, roughly 90, and as a result travel way more, coast to coast, up and down.

Even if we call it even between sprints & lates on the hauler, toter home, cars and engines...sprint teams spend more on tires, pit passes, race fuel, and diesel for the aforementioned travel bill.

Sammy Swindell did an interview back in the early 2000's...said it cost $1 million/year to run the WoO sprint deal.

Fast forward 15 years...and I'd ballpark it at $1.2-1.35 million.

Centeroff
04-23-2018, 11:53 PM
I bet that 1 million doubled. Price of fuel and parts have doubled in 15 years. Hope these boys make it. They need tv time to draw the big sponsorship programs. All forms of racing is in trouble. I remember getting a Bristol night race ticket was almost impossible 10 years ago and now the whole backstretch is covered by a sponsor of some sort. Hope I don’t have to teach my grandchildren about racing with old video and pictures. Amazing to me

racincowboy02
04-24-2018, 02:49 AM
I was doing some calculations on the different series as far as mileage and drive time hours i did the hours and the mileage from my house in south carolina like i actually owned a team

For Lucas its was 30,859 miles and 240 hours

Woo Lates was 20,245 and 200 hours and thats with them having 3 weekends at the end of the year TBA

Woo Sprints I am working on now and i should have them done by tomorrow night i know there is a stretch of drive time for them leaving lone star speedway going to vegas and it was 16+ hours just to get to vegas from texas

Those numbers don't count the hours you spend in the shop week in and week out to get ready for a race

3 wide
04-24-2018, 07:07 AM
Your correct about one thing all racing is in trouble except sprints they seem to be growing every year nascar is an easy fix do away with the points fund and spread that money out over the purse of the races then you would have real racing instead of them running around for points you don't need points for nascar they can't run anywhere else anyway.

Bigdirtfan
04-24-2018, 07:23 AM
3 wide makes a good point, they really dont need points in nascar. I have never thought about it in that manner. Take the points away spread the money in a different way, and lose those stupid stages.