PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Swartz Wins...

Krooser
05-01-2018, 11:14 AM
http://www.midwestracingarchives.com/2018/05/1982-swartz-takes-i-70-spring-nationals.html

TheJet-09
05-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Billy Moyer Jr. of Des Moines wins the non-qualifiers? Now that's a throwback!

I got into this stuff at the end of Charlie's career but definitely like him. I remember being at Eldora and he was driving one of Rayburn's cars when they first came out with the short swingarm stuff. I think he set fast time? I also had an old VHS set-up video with Charlie on it. Every time I see a tight car I can hear him saying, "If ur car is a pooshin'....."

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Centeroff
05-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Is Charlie still living? I went to school with his daughter and she was a good kid.

Krooser
05-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Is Charlie still living? I went to school with his daughter and she was a good kid.

Passed last year IIRC...

71PRPFan
05-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Passed last year IIRC...

Charlie is alive and somewhat well as far as I know.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Billy Moyer Jr. of Des Moines wins the non-qualifiers? Now that's a throwback!

I got into this stuff at the end of Charlie's career but definitely like him. I remember being at Eldora and he was driving one of Rayburn's cars when they first came out with the short swingarm stuff. I think he set fast time? I also had an old VHS set-up video with Charlie on it. Every time I see a tight car I can hear him saying, "If ur car is a pooshin'....."

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!Yep. If you are remembering the one I am, it was one of CJ’s personal cars. Was a last minute decision and the car was still set up for C.J. Who is quite a bit taller than Charlie. He was quick time I think, didn’t run heat 1 because of the risks, started 18th or 19th, got tired, because of the seat position, and hit the wall. He was marching forward too. Always a big fan of Charlie.

He put a book out with a local guy from Ashland, Ky I think. Have the book, but the SOB somehow got wet and ruined.

He is alive Krooser, not sure exactly how he’s doing, but he is alive.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Remember him at Challenger in Pa one time battling with Francis and maybe Chub. Darn good race, that track was top notch.

Krooser
05-01-2018, 09:41 PM
I was thinking of Mike Duvall...sorry Mr Schwartz!

PRCKartRacer9
05-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Yes he’s still alive and doing well. Mainly just helping his grandson with mini wedges. Got an autograph last year at DTWC

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-01-2018, 10:04 PM
CnB, I think he ran in the top 5 after getting tired. Around that time, he hit the wall in Tim Logan's car at Eldora while leading. The radiator overflow was spraying on his visor.

EvelB7
05-02-2018, 04:46 AM
Charlie was at Charlotte not long ago with the mid-engine car, great to see. First time I watched him was in Florida, maybe 1981- he was driving for Rayburn. Charlie spun with a lapped car while leading, refused to go to the back. Held race up for close to an hour while he stood on the car (on the track) with a jack handle, man was he mad (became my 'hero' at this point). I got to help him in the late 80's when he was travelling through Iowa, great guy- the King of the Wedge Cars!

chupp n bloomer fan
05-02-2018, 07:40 AM
CnB, I think he ran in the top 5 after getting tired. Around that time, he hit the wall in Tim Logan's car at Eldora while leading. The radiator overflow was spraying on his visor.The time I’m thinking of is when he was in one of CJ’s white and blue striped cars. He may have still finished good, just remember him tagging the wall marching forward. He said he just got worn out because of the seat position and trying to hold himself up in the seat.

Anyhow, always a fan of his. And Chargin Charlie sure fit him.

zyoung25
05-02-2018, 07:59 AM
That was the 94 or 95 dream I believe when he drove for Cj. I thought he got wiped out by a lap car while leading, but i could be wrong.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-02-2018, 08:20 AM
CnB, I am talking about the same time. He either got to first or second. Then faded as you said. I don't remember him hitting the wall. But, Charlie usually brushed it from time to time. Lol.

Kromulous
05-02-2018, 08:38 AM
I attended the Swartz Race Cars chassis seminar this year, its worth the price of admission to hear his son Audi tell stories about Charlie and all their racing adventures. He was a fierce competitor to say the least.

Planetzer0
05-02-2018, 09:13 AM
It was the 1996 World 100 in which Charlie drove the Rayburn house car. Moran led all 100 laps but Charlie was coming.

TheJet-09
05-02-2018, 11:10 AM
That's the one I'm thinking of then. As CnB Fan said, I remember him skipping the heat and taking the fast time provisional. That was back when there were no hotlaps before the heats. Certainly made for some interesting racing in that first heat!

Clayton_Wetter
05-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Watching Charlie qualify at the World 100 was one of the best parts of the whole weekend. I have Charlie's book CnB. Wouldn't sell it for a $100.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-02-2018, 04:12 PM
It was the 1996 World 100 in which Charlie drove the Rayburn house car. Moran led all 100 laps but Charlie was coming.Yes, that’s the race, got everything right but the wall ending his night right.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Watching Charlie qualify at the World 100 was one of the best parts of the whole weekend. I have Charlie's book CnB. Wouldn't sell it for a $100.Good read from a small publisher. Got it for my 16th birthday I think it was, the poster that was in it timelining his cars is what I had autographed, happy birthday and all:).

I keep putting off trying to get ahold of Audie and seeing if I could somehow get a copy. Truthfully have no idea how the hell it got wet/damp, but crusty and trash.

brsteg
05-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Boy that took a long time to get the tire test results back... glad Charlie is now officially the winner. Hope his check comes with interest!