PDA

View Full Version : Drivers i havent heard from in a while

King1
05-06-2018, 09:35 AM
Can anybody shed some light on william thomas? He used to be on DoD every other day with a win

Also, any of you guys remember the black kid from 2003 or 2004 than was pretty good? Seems like he was in Hendrick driver developmemt or was tied in with Jeff Gordon somehow and then just dropped off. I dont ever recall him ever running any national touring shows.

Chris Thomason
05-06-2018, 09:50 AM
The Thomas family bought another race track in southern Georgia. I think it was Albany speedway?? William is GM there and may be tied up with all that. DoD had an article on it sometime back

Edit:
King, The dod article was a dirtwire write-up Jan 16 2018 on catch-all page

B_K
05-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Believe William is running Albany Speedway in South Georgia. Thomas family recently purchased the facility.

Chase Austin I believe was the guy you're thinking of. No clue what he's doing.

flagone
05-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Chase Austin is running his family business back in Kansas. Hasn't raced much at all last few years.

Although you may be thinking of Ryan Gifford who was an RCR Development driver and worked for Team Dillon for a time. He had his own crate stuff and ran it sporadically over the last few years. But he has recently been running a super for a team out of NC. He raced at my Modoc show last week and I know he has been to Boyd's and 311 also this year.

B_K
05-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Chase Austin is running his family business back in Kansas. Hasn't raced much at all last few years.

Although you may be thinking of Ryan Gifford who was an RCR Development driver and worked for Team Dillon for a time. He had his own crate stuff and ran it sporadically over the last few years. But he has recently been running a super for a team out of NC. He raced at my Modoc show last week and I know he has been to Boyd's and 311 also this year.

Chase/Marshall..... same thing.

I think I was trying to combine two guys with similar names I know into one guy.

jlacey
05-06-2018, 05:28 PM
While on the topic, i was watching an old Show Me 100 from the late 90s, early 2000s and saw some names i haven't seen in a few years. Tony Cardin, Johnny Virden, Rex McCroskey, Jeremy Payne, Donnie Barnhardt and Mark Miner. Not sure the ages of any of them, thought Jeremy Payne was young(ish) but just stopped seeing their names in run downs.

King1
05-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Chase Austin is who i was thinking of.

wreck
05-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Decided to join the insanity over here b/c I've seen a number of threads like this. Cardin has been retired for a while. Last I saw him race was in a Super Stock at Batesville probably 10 years ago. I saw Virden run a modified once or twice last year. McCroskey is retired. Saw him run a B-Mod at Springfield MO a couple years ago, though. Payne is retired. He ran Johnny Saathof's backup car a couple times last year. Sucks b/c he was a heckuva wheelman. Barnhart was gone for several years but last year he got a modified and has made a handful of starts this year. That $20g race at Batesville has brought out quite a few names out of the woodwork. Don't know about Miner, since he's not from my area. A little story about Virden, or more so his car: in '06 or '07 he showed up out of retirement, I guess, in a mod, and his first race back he wore out the field at the TMS dirt track. He was fast everywhere he went that year. Anyways, that car was a GRT built by Bill Frye that had some front end stuff that was ahead of its time, stuff that didn't catch on til 5 or 6 years later, like the soft RF setup. Well, that car's still running around. Now it's got the wrap off of Frye's last late model on it and it's still a pretty fast hotrod.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Chase Austin is who i was thinking of.Wanna say fluorescent green 13?? He was at WVMS for that last big race they had that Birky won. Think he was around 14-15 then.

jlacey
05-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Thanks wreck. I figured most had retired since i havent seen most of those names in years.

B_K
05-06-2018, 07:04 PM
Wanna say fluorescent green 13?? He was at WVMS for that last big race they had that Birky won. Think he was around 14-15 then.

I'm remembering a black 42 (I think) car with flames on the bottom.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-06-2018, 07:15 PM
I'm remembering a black 42 (I think) car with flames on the bottom.You thinking of Gifford or Austin?

Josh Bayko
05-06-2018, 07:18 PM
I'm remembering a black 42 (I think) car with flames on the bottom.

Sounds like a Terry Casey or Todd Andrews car.

BigDaddy84
05-06-2018, 08:12 PM
I was thinking I read Mark miners name in the results at I-55 in a mod a couple of years ago.

B_K
05-06-2018, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a Terry Casey or Todd Andrews car.

I could be combining cars here too. I remember him from several shows in this area. Believe he got on his lid one night at Dixie.

B_K
05-06-2018, 08:20 PM
I was thinking I read Mark miners name in the results at I-55 in a mod a couple of years ago.

You did, although not sure if he still races.

He and Stan Massey were hard to handle for in this area back in the day. Those screaming Malcuit Engines won a lot of races.

hucktyson
05-07-2018, 06:40 AM
The Austin fella raced late models a few times and if he wasn’t part black you wouldn’t know his name .. lol actually wait you still didn’t know his name. I really want to know why 50% black and 50% white is considered black to get the benefits that go along with being black ? If being black was this massive disadvantage we hear about why don’t 50/50 people call themselves white ???

93Nelson
05-07-2018, 06:58 AM
While on the topic, i was watching an old Show Me 100 from the late 90s, early 2000s and saw some names i haven't seen in a few years. Tony Cardin, Johnny Virden, Rex McCroskey, Jeremy Payne, Donnie Barnhardt and Mark Miner. Not sure the ages of any of them, thought Jeremy Payne was young(ish) but just stopped seeing their names in run downs.

Jeremy raced for Terry Phillips in a Modified and late model then left to race his own modified in the USMTS along with a few IMCA races. I think he is somewhat retired now and has only been running a car for Jet Racing at some big IMCA races.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-07-2018, 07:24 AM
We don’t know what Austin calls himself. Maybe just a guy who doesn’t get caught up in all that BS.

LMNED10
05-07-2018, 08:44 AM
The Thomas family bought another race track in southern Georgia. I think it was Albany speedway?? William is GM there and may be tied up with all that. DoD had an article on it sometime back Edit: King, The dod article was a dirtwire write-up Jan 16 2018 on catch-all page They are not running Albany from what I have been told that deal fell through and Don Don Cook has leased it for the year. Supposedly a lot of deals with the Thomas family have gone up in smoke lately.

Cardirt0
05-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Richie Hedrick. Went off the deep end . Let the sounds in his head take over him . Sad story. He was a Friend at one time be for the evil got him.

Punisher88
05-07-2018, 10:17 AM
They are not running Albany from what I have been told that deal fell through and Don Don Cook has leased it for the year. Supposedly a lot of deals with the Thomas family have gone up in smoke lately.You would be 100% correct. Check is still bouncing.

Chris Thomason
05-07-2018, 12:14 PM
That being the case, then our sports most well known news page should write a new article so people would know.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Richie Hedrick. Went off the deep end . Let the sounds in his head take over him . Sad story. He was a Friend at one time be for the evil got him.Is he in the nut house?

Cardirt0
05-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Is he in the nut house?

Diabetes and That stuff they said Bloom had in his truck a long time a go.

TheJet-09
05-07-2018, 07:25 PM
I raced against Richie a time or two. What became of the engine business he or his dad had?

And Gary, you might know, what about Steve Hillard? A very clean, successful racer who rode off into the sunset or something.

HoosierDirtFan
05-07-2018, 07:36 PM
I raced against Richie a time or two. What became of the engine business he or his dad had?

And Gary, you might know, what about Steve Hillard? A very clean, successful racer who rode off into the sunset or something.

Last time I seen Richie race was at Kankakee about 5 or 6 years ago when they where still getting a full field of super late models. He was a very good regional racer. Between him and Ryan Dauber and a few others. Loved watching them battle it out. If what Cardirt0 is saying is true he needs to get a way from the white powder before it consume him. If racing was so expensive anymore we might still see some of these guys racing.

Hey TheJet-09 - What happen to Dauber? Seen him at Kankakee when they last raced super late models full time and then all of a sudden we haven't seen him in 4 or 5 years now.
Best I can figure he sold out or just stopped racing for a while.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Diabetes and That stuff they said Bloom had in his truck a long time a go.Gotcha. Sorry to hear that. Diabetes and drugs not a good mix.

jr29
05-07-2018, 08:15 PM

I think his son runs a mod there now.

Cardirt0
05-07-2018, 08:48 PM

He tried to burn it down was H and F up. His dad owned it after that his dad retired . Hillard owns a Bar and last time I heard he was doing will at it.

Cardirt0
05-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Last time I seen Richie race was at Kankakee about 5 or 6 years ago when they where still getting a full field of super late models. He was a very good regional racer. Between him and Ryan Dauber and a few others. Loved watching them battle it out. If what Cardirt0 is saying is true he needs to get a way from the white powder before it consume him. If racing was so expensive anymore we might still see some of these guys racing.

Hey TheJet-09 - What happen to Dauber? Seen him at Kankakee when they last raced super late models full time and then all of a sudden we haven't seen him in 4 or 5 years now.
Best I can figure he sold out or just stopped racing for a while.

Like 4 of the late M drivers or in mods now at FramerCity. Have not seen Richie in 4 or so years so dont know if hes cleaned up or not.
Kyle hammer and McKay Wenger are in Mods now

HoosierDirtFan
05-07-2018, 08:58 PM
What ever happen to Ryan Dauber? 4 or 5 years ago he ran a few races at Kankakee and all of a sudden dropped off the map.

CageFaraday
05-07-2018, 08:59 PM
You did, although not sure if he still races.

He and Stan Massey were hard to handle for in this area back in the day. Those screaming Malcuit Engines won a lot of races.

The old Ronnie Dobbins team, very stout for the time. Last I heard, Mark moved to St Louis area and started a wrecker business. Not sure of his racing status if any. Stan is retired from racing since maybe 02 or 03 and is a long haul truck driver, at least he was about 5 years ago.

Cardirt0
05-07-2018, 09:11 PM
What ever happen to Ryan Dauber? 4 or 5 years ago he ran a few races at Kankakee and all of a sudden dropped off the map.

He just stopped racing 4 or 5 years a go.. Said it was costing to much.

TheJet-09
05-07-2018, 11:28 PM
Around 2013, when I got back into racing, Ryan Dauber had a couple engines for sale (maybe the last of his own stuff). Then whatever year it was that LaSalle still ran weekly shows (on Sundays), maybe 2014 or 2015, Ryan drove the 33 car some, owned by John Piccatto. I remember him getting wrecked pretty bad in his heat race one night, and that was the last I saw of him.

Cardirt0
05-08-2018, 12:30 AM
Around 2013, when I got back into racing, Ryan Dauber had a couple engines for sale (maybe the last of his own stuff). Then whatever year it was that LaSalle still ran weekly shows (on Sundays), maybe 2014 or 2015, Ryan drove the 33 car some, owned by John Piccatto. I remember him getting wrecked pretty bad in his heat race one night, and that was the last I saw of him.

After he sold his stuff. someone offered him a ride. and I think he got hurt in that crash. Think he just burned out on it.

Mindwalker
05-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Richie Hedrick. Went off the deep end . Let the sounds in his head take over him . Sad story. He was a Friend at one time be for the evil got him.

Don't know if Ted Loomis was mentioned here but when Ted and Richie hit the track togather you knew something crazy would happen, if Richie could catch Ted lol. Wasn't it Richie who flipped it twice at Farmer City one night? Think that was the last I seen him. Ted went onto quad racing and now is done racing all together I believe...

Mindwalker
05-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Darren Miller another great IL. driver. Won some big races. The north south for one if I recall.

Cardirt0
05-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Don't know if Ted Loomis was mentioned here but when Ted and Richie hit the track togather you knew something crazy would happen, if Richie could catch Ted lol. Wasn't it Richie who flipped it twice at Farmer City one night? Think that was the last I seen him. Ted went onto quad racing and now is done racing all together I believe...

Kankakee was were he flipped 2 cars. then flipped at FarmerCity right after that. Him and 83 were going at it, i quit him the week after that, That was were he was were his down and out started. His i have to win at all cost got in his head, and his pills for the pain in his back, and i got tired of beating the car back with a hammer.
Ted and Richie did not like each other thats for Shour.

Mindwalker
05-08-2018, 12:27 PM
He flipped er twice at FC too.

Cardirt0
05-08-2018, 03:11 PM
He flipped er twice at FC too.

You right Called a Team mate he said he flipped 1 at KK then Both cars at FarmerCity next week. I left team after that. Got tired of people saying I worked for NUT.