PDA

View Full Version : Todd Turner is the man!

dirt crow
05-16-2018, 08:54 PM
He’s articles over the years are dead on. And he’s done it again in DoD’s QuickTime. The Late Model Division Divide article, perfect. 👍🏻

jwel
05-16-2018, 09:12 PM
Agreed - That article was great. Hope the right people read it and take it to heart.

grt74
05-17-2018, 07:21 AM
I've been saying it for years

Trax53
05-17-2018, 07:29 AM
Great article! I completely agree... Let em all run together different weight. Bonus money to highest finishing steel head vs SLM. You can mix 602 and 604 crates too with a weight break.
I could care less to go and watch paint drying 8 car features. Why I likely don't go to many of our local races any more. The promotors and racers alike could fix it.
Mean while the DREAM is weeks away, see ya there!!

Kromulous
05-17-2018, 09:47 AM
The problem is the weight, to slow the Supers down you have to add weight, up to 100 lbs i would guess. So at 2400lbs you would have to increase that to 2450 min, and maybe 2500lb. So you can give the weight breaks to the 525s, and the 604's. If you don't, you have to build an ultra light crate car and that's more expensive, if not impossible depending on Driver weight. Also you can give weight breaks to steel blocks, but the problem is you cant build a 2300lb steel block, without some serious ultra light components. So adding to the SLMs would help give you some wiggle room.

I don't know why you would not support local racing, i would rather go watch a weekly show any day. All your gonna see at the DREAM is RY45 Fords (Durham) hammer down in the heat races. If you don't have one, stay home. The only outside chance a underdog has is to get in the show and race the 100 lapper clean and maybe you hit the perfect set up and the race falls your way. Outside of that it will be a snoozer. 2 to 1 odds or less on a front row win!

Give me a local show, with some workaday guys trying to do the best they can, any day.

Trax53
05-17-2018, 10:06 AM
What part of the country are you from? Our local racing in the Carolinas region sucks these days. That has a lot to do with it.

dirt crow
05-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Go back to the way it use to be. Super class for those who can afford it, and one lower late model appearing class for those that can’t. 8 lower late model appearing classes is stupid stupid and stupid!

Kromulous
05-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Its a bit of story, but Cincinnati Ohio, moving back from Raleigh NC in June. I have noticed in the south that there are a lot of classes. We do have a great weekly show around Cincy with Moler on Friday, and Florence and Atomic on Saturday, plus other Portsmouth, Eldora etc etc.

Count my lucky stars i guess.

Trax53
05-17-2018, 10:46 AM
You have a lot of great weekly tracks to choose from. Its grown thin around here.
I grew up watching Mike Duvall, Ricky Weeks, Rambo, Jeff Smith, Freddy Smith, Doug Sanders, Jeremy Clements, Jack Pennington, Buck Simmons, the list goes on and on. And many tracks to choose from, a lot of which are closed now... Chester, Thunder Valley, Metrolina, Cherokee 1/2 (still open as 4/10 mile) mile, Lancaster (still open), Buffalo, Sugar Creek etc, etc

MRM
05-17-2018, 02:10 PM
In my area, limited late models are almost super late models. Some of the LLM guys will run with SLM shows, some make them, and you'll see one win a SLM every once in a while. Tracks have let the engine rules get out of control. To keep guys from quitting because they can't run with those guys in LLM, the sportsman class was born. In sportsman, you'll see a mixture of steel heads and crates. Then, there's crates. Until people in our area reign in the rules on LLM engines, nothing is going to change.

Illtsate32
05-17-2018, 03:51 PM
The problem is the weight, to slow the Supers down you have to add weight, up to 100 lbs i would guess. So at 2400lbs you would have to increase that to 2450 min, and maybe 2500lb. So you can give the weight breaks to the 525s, and the 604's. If you don't, you have to build an ultra light crate car and that's more expensive, if not impossible depending on Driver weight. Also you can give weight breaks to steel blocks, but the problem is you cant build a 2300lb steel block, without some serious ultra light components. So adding to the SLMs would help give you some wiggle room.

I don't know why you would not support local racing, i would rather go watch a weekly show any day. All your gonna see at the DREAM is RY45 Fords (Durham) hammer down in the heat races. If you don't have one, stay home. The only outside chance a underdog has is to get in the show and race the 100 lapper clean and maybe you hit the perfect set up and the race falls your way. Outside of that it will be a snoozer. 2 to 1 odds or less on a front row win!

Give me a local show, with some workaday guys trying to do the best they can, any day.

Couple interesting points you brought up, I will def pay attention to how the Durhams fair at the Dream and then revisit this...il add my opinion that all the drivers on these tours are great drivers and the cars are so R&D and equipment driven, they got them so stuck to the ground with the ridiculous areo bodies its almost impossible to pass at most tracks...

grt74
05-17-2018, 04:16 PM

some may not believe this but a heavier car will actually handle better (you have got to get threw the corner before the drag race),of coarse within reason

Illtsate32
05-17-2018, 04:27 PM
some may not believe this but a heavier car will actually handle better (you have got to get threw the corner before the drag race),of coarse within reason

Ive said that before and people acted like I was crazy, but adding weight in the right spots may not be as big of a disadvantage as people think...

Kromulous
05-17-2018, 04:37 PM
GRT74, and 32 i have thought about that for years on a super slick track, just slap on like 250lbs in the proper spots of course. Someday i will try it.

I hope i am wrong about Eldora, i hope to see a great race. I want to see a underdog get in the show from the Consi and roll to the front and win !! Yes, i play the lotto too !!

MI Dirt Fan
05-17-2018, 04:47 PM
I hope i am wrong about Eldora, i hope to see a great race. I want to see a underdog get in the show from the Consi and roll to the front and win !! Yes, i play the lotto too !!
Maybe one day they will have a betting window at Eldora.

mcarter815
05-17-2018, 10:45 PM
Ive said that before and people acted like I was crazy, but adding weight in the right spots may not be as big of a disadvantage as people think...

Rules like this usually have the weight be mounted ahead of the mid-plate, which typically makes the car push.

Illtsate32
05-17-2018, 11:17 PM
Rules like this usually have the weight be mounted ahead of the mid-plate, which typically makes the car push.

Right any weight up there would most likely be all bad..

Jim11h
05-17-2018, 11:56 PM
Just have to counter with more weight to rear and cars still run some lead on lf at foot box