PDA

View Full Version : No more Late Model races at Brownstown until July 7th.

Clayton_Wetter
06-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Wow, the season is passing by and this track known for late models is cutting LM races from the schedule more every year. It's hard to keep a following for LM's when you don't have races for them. I don't go unless they do have LM's. Does anyone know how the crowds are on the weekends without them?

Swampy121
06-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Too many nearby tracks?

JimBo
06-03-2018, 03:35 PM
My local track, Monett Speedway, dropped Late Models AND A Mods this year. They are only running Lates on Memorial day and labor specials. I hope they survive with B Mods as their top class.

turnleftandgasit
06-03-2018, 04:40 PM
A mods would barely get me to the track, wouldn't even consider going for anything below them.

Mindwalker
06-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Brownstown? Is that in Ohio?

Hoosier_Dirt
06-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Wow, the season is passing by and this track known for late models is cutting LM races from the schedule more every year. It's hard to keep a following for LM's when you don't have races for them. I don't go unless they do have LM's. Does anyone know how the crowds are on the weekends without them?

Ran em last night. Was a good show too.

Swampy121
06-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Brownstown? Is that in Ohio?

Indiana, halfway between Indianapolis and Louisville.

Mindwalker
06-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Shoot, thats like going to Mexico for me!

Clayton_Wetter
06-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Too many nearby tracks?

Closest is 100 miles.

golddirt
06-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Twin cities a 100 mile away? Not

Hoosier_Dirt
06-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Let's think about how many "super" late models there are in southern Indiana anymore. Not very many!! Florence isn't even drawing very many for their shows either, just a dying thing in this region, and modified aren't far behind. Ponderosa is all but shut down. Illinois probably has the most "super late models in that region. The crates at Brownstown are pretty good from what I've seen, and do ok at Vernon. Best case scenario, enjoy any kind of racing you can nowadays.

Clayton_Wetter
06-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Twin cities a 100 mile away? Not

No LM's there.

Clayton_Wetter
06-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Let's think about how many "super" late models there are in southern Indiana anymore. Not very many!! Florence isn't even drawing very many for their shows either, just a dying thing in this region, and modified aren't far behind. Ponderosa is all but shut down. Illinois probably has the most "super late models in that region. The crates at Brownstown are pretty good from what I've seen, and do ok at Vernon. Best case scenario, enjoy any kind of racing you can nowadays.

Is it a forced death though?

Matt49
06-03-2018, 10:08 PM

This isn't news. The schedule hasn't changed since the beginning of the year. But by posting this right now, you make it sound like they are cutting races mid-season. Not bashing you for bringing it up but did want to clarify for those that might misconstrue it that way.
We all know that supers in this part of the country (as with MOST of the country) are on the decline at the local level.
The reality is that if you have the resources to run a highly competitive local super late model, you're better off running a regional or semi-national type of schedule to chase real money. Staying local is a losing proposition even if you win every weekend. Supers have out-priced themselves at the local level and unless purses go up, that isn't going to change. The value of a dollar is a third of what it was 40 years ago yet local tracks are paying pretty much the exact same purses as they were back then. Regionally and nationally there is a lot more money out there on any given weekend if a guy is willing to travel - so while purses may not be triple what the were 40 years ago, the total dollars are out there to be brought home (triple? I'm not sure but you get what I'm saying). But for the local racer that can't travel, it's about impossible to keep a competitive super late model team afloat.
So why haven't purses gone up??? Greedy promoters are often where the finger is pointed but I don't think they are just hoarding money. I think they struggle with the "promoting"/marketing part of their business. Far too many so-called promoter would be more accurately described as operators of the facility and do little to nothing to get butts in seats (the promoting part). I'm not saying that is the case with Brownstown as I know they put forth the effort to advertise, etc. I think a big part of this is that people just have far more entertainment options (and cheap ones) available for them and their families. But that just means you have to change how you interact with your target market. So we're back to marketing. Most track do a terrible job using social media in a positive way to get folks to the track.
And back to families...Is it my imagination of does every parent these days have all of their kids playing or doing like 15 different extra-curricular activities? When I was a kid, it seemed like most kids did 1 or 2 things and that was it. Maybe families back then had more time to do weekend activities like spend a day at the race track instead of shuttling around between parks for 10 different sports all weekend between plays, ballet, etc. Just a thought.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-03-2018, 10:30 PM

Florence had 24 super LM this Saturday.

Clayton_Wetter
06-06-2018, 05:35 PM
This isn't news. The schedule hasn't changed since the beginning of the year. But by posting this right now, you make it sound like they are cutting races mid-season. Not bashing you for bringing it up but did want to clarify for those that might misconstrue it that way.
We all know that supers in this part of the country (as with MOST of the country) are on the decline at the local level.
The reality is that if you have the resources to run a highly competitive local super late model, you're better off running a regional or semi-national type of schedule to chase real money. Staying local is a losing proposition even if you win every weekend. Supers have out-priced themselves at the local level and unless purses go up, that isn't going to change. The value of a dollar is a third of what it was 40 years ago yet local tracks are paying pretty much the exact same purses as they were back then. Regionally and nationally there is a lot more money out there on any given weekend if a guy is willing to travel - so while purses may not be triple what the were 40 years ago, the total dollars are out there to be brought home (triple? I'm not sure but you get what I'm saying). But for the local racer that can't travel, it's about impossible to keep a competitive super late model team afloat.
So why haven't purses gone up??? Greedy promoters are often where the finger is pointed but I don't think they are just hoarding money. I think they struggle with the "promoting"/marketing part of their business. Far too many so-called promoter would be more accurately described as operators of the facility and do little to nothing to get butts in seats (the promoting part). I'm not saying that is the case with Brownstown as I know they put forth the effort to advertise, etc. I think a big part of this is that people just have far more entertainment options (and cheap ones) available for them and their families. But that just means you have to change how you interact with your target market. So we're back to marketing. Most track do a terrible job using social media in a positive way to get folks to the track.
And back to families...Is it my imagination of does every parent these days have all of their kids playing or doing like 15 different extra-curricular activities? When I was a kid, it seemed like most kids did 1 or 2 things and that was it. Maybe families back then had more time to do weekend activities like spend a day at the race track instead of shuttling around between parks for 10 different sports all weekend between plays, ballet, etc. Just a thought.

This cut back in LM racing has been going on for several years now and started while they still had a full field of cars. Now with a half dozen regular shows and the big money for the track specials there has been little incentive for the local guy to keep racing LM's. Throw in some rain outs and you don't have enough events to hardly bother with. A point can be made that they chose to end the LM class on their own except for their cash cow Lucas races.

The common fan for the large part just takes what's offered without much question. Sad.

dirtyboy
06-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Well at least you don't have much to complain about then Wetter

Clayton_Wetter
06-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Thank you for your sincere concern. :rolleyes:

Hoosier_Dirt
06-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Its a business. As Harold Hardgrove always said " If you dont like the way I run the place, buy me out!"

chupp n bloomer fan
06-06-2018, 06:05 PM
And back to families...Is it my imagination of does every parent these days have all of their kids playing or doing like 15 different extra-curricular activities? When I was a kid, it seemed like most kids did 1 or 2 things and that was it. Maybe families back then had more time to do weekend activities like spend a day at the race track instead of shuttling around between parks for 10 different sports all weekend between plays, ballet, etc. Just a thought.Well said. You hit all the points man.

Clayton_Wetter
06-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Its a business. As Harold Hardgrove always said " If you dont like the way I run the place, buy me out!"

Think the fair board would say that???? :)

TS FAN
06-07-2018, 05:33 PM
As was said. Cost Cost Cost. Weekly purses cannot keep up with COST.

Somehow, tracks are going to continue to feature Crates, tough road to go IMO

Florence is in the best position to continue with them as far as I know. Haven't talked to Josh recently, but they will probably the last track standing if it comes to that.

Clayton_Wetter
06-07-2018, 05:56 PM
As was said. Cost Cost Cost. Weekly purses cannot keep up with COST.

Somehow, tracks are going to continue to feature Crates, tough road to go IMO

Florence is in the best position to continue with them as far as I know. Haven't talked to Josh recently, but they will probably the last track standing if it comes to that.

Portsmouth still doing well and pays 2k the last I heard.

TS FAN
06-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Yes they do.