PDA

View Full Version : Big Guy Shock Builds

2OLD2LEARN
06-04-2018, 04:30 PM
We have a a 2018 Rocket XR1 that we have not had much success with. Tried everything including help by Rocket. One question that has been running through my mind is when your driver is bigger than others 6'2, 340lbs, do the shock guys build in additional rebound to take that extra left side weight into consideration? We have the Integras that were built for our car by and at Integra but they are the only thing that we have not changed. We've got the car decent in the wet and tacky but when track dries out as our track does weekly, the car is in left field, doesn't want to turn through the middle and drifts up the track. I'm wondering if a higher rebound built shock and higher left sode numbers would help this situation? Any opinions greatly appreciated.

billetbirdcage
06-04-2018, 04:42 PM
We have a a 2018 Rocket XR1 that we have not had much success with. Tried everything including help by Rocket. One question that has been running through my mind is when your driver is bigger than others 6'2, 340lbs, do the shock guys build in additional rebound to take that extra left side weight into consideration? We have the Integras that were built for our car by and at Integra but they are the only thing that we have not changed. We've got the car decent in the wet and tacky but when track dries out as our track does weekly, the car is in left field, doesn't want to turn through the middle and drifts up the track. I'm wondering if a higher rebound built shock and higher left sode numbers would help this situation? Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Open engine or limited or crate.

Welcome to the XR1 curse, lol. Fast as hell in the traction but many struggle once it gets slicked off. Most either fall in one of 2 categories when slick. 1. too tight or 2. feel like on top of track.

grt74
06-04-2018, 06:25 PM

it is very, very, very, easy to get these new cars too tight, you would be surprised how much steer guys run in the slick these days, you have to quit throwing the car when it gets slick, hence the too tight syndrome

Basecircle
06-04-2018, 08:07 PM
When you say steer, I’m assuming you mean rear steer... if so, you mean trailing the RR, or making bar adjustments to gain a bunch of steer?.....or both?

grt74
06-04-2018, 08:19 PM
what ever it takes, may want to do some testing, if you've been driving older cars it will take some getting used to, going forward is not an issue if set up correctly,

2OLD2LEARN
06-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Billet, this is a Crate car.

billetbirdcage
06-04-2018, 11:30 PM
Billet, this is a Crate car.

Honestly, I haven't found many that have much luck with the STD set up from rocket for a crate, but as with many things different places, drivers, tires and track styles and conditions will have a big influence on that.

I've had to alter several things to get the results. People get so caught up in shocks these days that they forget the basic/simple things and that's where I found most of the things to make them go in the slick. That being said and not trying to be secretive but I spent a lot of time on these cars to figure things out and thus I don't give out a lot of info on them.

I'd assume you got the left side % close to the recommended %, but you might look at where that weight is. Meaning is the heavy driver's weight up high or low and where is you weight on the right side to get the left % down. Personally I doubt it's the shocks, but can't say I've dealt with that heavy a driver before so possible but if the weight % is right and the COG is right, it shouldn't matter much.

7uptruckracer
06-05-2018, 09:44 AM
I've worked with a driver that heavy. You are right. If he is tall and heavy is different then if he is shaped like a Bowling Ball Pin. One will have all the weight in his lower torso, Legs, Stomach, Etc. All the Car knows is COG and wheel weights. The XR1s I've worked on all seem to have a drive off issue. Not loose or tight per say just not into the track no sidebite and being most DLM you are in the gas so so early now its exaggerated even more when you "shear the RR" I have one we are still struggling with. Steve Baker is trying to come up with some ideas, but as of right now we have only tried the "norm" XR1 Tricks.

Honestly, I haven't found many that have much luck with the STD set up from rocket for a crate, but as with many things different places, drivers, tires and track styles and conditions will have a big influence on that.

I've had to alter several things to get the results. People get so caught up in shocks these days that they forget the basic/simple things and that's where I found most of the things to make them go in the slick. That being said and not trying to be secretive but I spent a lot of time on these cars to figure things out and thus I don't give out a lot of info on them.

I'd assume you got the left side % close to the recommended %, but you might look at where that weight is. Meaning is the heavy driver's weight up high or low and where is you weight on the right side to get the left % down. Personally I doubt it's the shocks, but can't say I've dealt with that heavy a driver before so possible but if the weight % is right and the COG is right, it shouldn't matter much.

2OLD2LEARN
06-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Our driver is Tall big and weight is just from size. How about stagger? I have been hearing that guys are running 2 28.5's across the rear or 2 29's across the rear and only running between and inch and a half to two inches of stagger??

7uptruckracer
06-05-2018, 10:48 AM
Its being run but you have to try it some dont like it makes it too tight across the middle and off. Some its exactly what they needed.

Our driver is Tall big and weight is just from size. How about stagger? I have been hearing that guys are running 2 28.5's across the rear or 2 29's across the rear and only running between and inch and a half to two inches of stagger??