PDA

View Full Version : Dream thoughts!

play4kps
06-10-2018, 12:57 AM
First off, congrats to Scott Bloomquist. Dirt racing has a real problem, and tonight was a big example of what and where it is! 8 to 9 second win. Unlimited budget, People wonder why car counts are dwindling across the country. No drivers can afford to spend that kind of money to be competitive. The real charm of dirt late model racing was the big upset, the no name winning a race. Those days are long gone, the big races, big wins are reserved for the big names with the big pockets. The aero packages and the shock packages are destroying this sport. these cars in front and they check out and they are long gone. I dont mean to rain on Scotts parade. But the charm of the dream took a big hit tonight, not because Scott won, its because now more than ever deep pockets win races. Its almost a waste of time for half the cars thar showed to even attempt to make the race and run competitive with these guys.

Mindwalker
06-10-2018, 01:09 AM
I think Bloomer should have just let JD win.

MI Dirt Fan
06-10-2018, 01:14 AM
Isn't this the same problem with NASCAR....????

Shiny Side Up 18
06-10-2018, 01:20 AM
Isn't this the same problem with NASCAR....????This is the problem with motorsports in general. Once the innovation genie is let out of the bottle, there's no going back.

Swampy121
06-10-2018, 01:46 AM
Oh boy. Here we go with this conversation again...

Crossbones
06-10-2018, 02:38 AM
First off, congrats to Scott Bloomquist. Dirt racing has a real problem, and tonight was a big example of what and where it is! 8 to 9 second win. Unlimited budget, People wonder why car counts are dwindling across the country. No drivers can afford to spend that kind of money to be competitive. The real charm of dirt late model racing was the big upset, the no name winning a race. Those days are long gone, the big races, big wins are reserved for the big names with the big pockets. The aero packages and the shock packages are destroying this sport. these cars in front and they check out and they are long gone. I dont mean to rain on Scotts parade. But the charm of the dream took a big hit tonight, not because Scott won, its because now more than ever deep pockets win races. Its almost a waste of time for half the cars thar showed to even attempt to make the race and run competitive with these guys.

What are you rambling about? It was no different 25/30 years ago. If anything more drivers win big races today than back then. I went to a lot of big races back then and you knew there was a 90% chance of either Bloomquist/Moyer/Freddy Smith/Boggs/Moran/Davey Johnson was going to win.

9 second win? I remember Moran in 1992 lapping the entire field at the World 100. I remember seeing Moyer and Bloomquist lap fields many times 25 years ago. I don't remember anytime over the last 15 years that someone lapped the field anywhere. The sport has less cars today yes but I think its a lot more competitive today than it was 25 years ago.

Stefan2k4
06-10-2018, 03:22 AM
Crossbones is right. DLM racing may have problems, but it's not the big fish competing with other big fish in big races like this. On the contrary, it's what's happening at all the little races at dirt tracks scattered all across the country, where one guy, who happens to be the big fish in the little pond, dominates the show every night of the season. When that happens the fans get bored and find other ways to spend their time and money. If local racing was as competitive as the lucas oil series is and was that way every night, the sport would be flourishing.

play4kps
06-10-2018, 08:47 AM
The point is the expense in killing the sport, the top 20 guys we know they aint buying their expensive shocks and expensiive parts. Those manufacturers are giving the to them to advertise for them. Thus for the average Joe the cost to be competitive goes up by 5 to 20 grand or more. Just like the top guys changing chassis like the weather. And crossbones the guys who want to run with the big fish on a limited budget are still outspending the guys at the local track and stinking up shows and reducing car counts at those tracks. When I think of people changing chassis, I cant help but think of Frank Heckenhast jr switching to Longhorn from his black diamond/club29 car and selling his old one to Jon Henry and Henry that year being one of the top 5 cars at the World 100 that year. I by no means think Scott should have let him win or slowed down. All Im saying is people are complaining week after week about lack of cars at their local track. Example tons of people travel every year to Eldora from Illinois to pull for Baab, Feger and Shirley, they dont race for a series and they run local shows, so its a two way street, they are trying to run with the big dogs and in the mean time stinking up local shows driving cars away. example farmer city 7 cars this week. If this keeps up dirt late model racing will be dead in 5 years other then top 3 to 6 series left.

getinit
06-10-2018, 08:58 AM
What are you rambling about? It was no different 25/30 years ago. If anything more drivers win big races today than back then. I went to a lot of big races back then and you knew there was a 90% chance of either Bloomquist/Moyer/Freddy Smith/Boggs/Moran/Davey Johnson was going to win.

9 second win? I remember Moran in 1992 lapping the entire field at the World 100. I remember seeing Moyer and Bloomquist lap fields many times 25 years ago. I don't remember anytime over the last 15 years that someone lapped the field anywhere. The sport has less cars today yes but I think its a lot more competitive today than it was 25 years ago.

Sounds like a sirius xm radio host defending NASCAR, using the exact same comments. Less cars and only the crown jewels getting any major fan support, but hey everything is great.

JCSullivan00
06-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Go back and look at how many different guys won big shows back in the 70s, and then look now. I think there is more parity today than ever.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-10-2018, 09:57 AM
This is the problem with motorsports in general. Once the innovation genie is let out of the bottle, there's no going back.Sadly you are correct. Motorsports will continue that way, and yes, counts will dwindle. It costs too much, I mean people wanna argue about what to do, but there’s not really anything. Unless you make very strict rules, which in turn, unless you set everything, doesn’t lower cost. I do not mean crates, that’s a joke. A class where they set everything, and I mean everything.

Cardirt0
06-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Well It was a good life wile it lasted. Ant been to a race in 2 years. My home track is Dieing. and so am I. Cash Cow is killing the thing I love and ant a D am thing i can do about it. Even 4M ant much fun no more cant say much and someone jumps on you. I live in a kind of good part of town and need to carry a gun to go to the gas S after its dark. They now lock the door there and sell out of a small window after its dark and only a block from down town. They shot out the door there to get in 3 days a go. I am almost over the fact its so bad cause i may not be here in the morning to see it.
People that dont belong here, one want to sell me dope. one wants to cut my grass, and one wants to steal my car. and the Dem want to let them ALL in. Time to stop and go make lunch you all have a good Day.

play4kps
06-10-2018, 10:35 AM
The same people who are applauding the demise of this great sport are the same people who won't attend a regular racing show at their local track. That is where the sport grows. A perfect example is a guy like Rusty Schlenk. everybody can't wait to tear them apart the guy stinks up local shows almost everywhere he goes but he doesn't spend enough money to compete with the big guys. so you tell me what the answer is

Cardirt0
06-10-2018, 10:49 AM
The same people who are applauding the demise of this great sport are the same people who won't attend a regular racing show at their local track. That is where the sport grows. A perfect example is a guy like Rusty Schlenk. everybody can't wait to tear them apart the guy stinks up local shows almost everywhere he goes but he doesn't spend enough money to compete with the big guys. so you tell me what the answer is

When something Dies there is not much you can do but put dirt on top of it and move on. Its not just one thing its, a lot of thing at the same time. I can tell you Taxs and Death is 2 things you can count on happing some time in your life. When the USA falls the world will fall. War is coming with Man Kind you can count on it .

play4kps
06-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Something else you don't see at Eldora is kids. the future of the sport is dying, but to be honest with you the drunks have taken over the dream in the world and I'm not sure I would want to take my kids there either. Let this sink in there will not be another late model race at Eldora All Summer Long. The next race is not until the baltes classic which is the first week of September. When I go to waynesfield which does not run late models there is a ton of kids there and also oakshade has a ton of kids. both tracks have one thing in common a lot of cars still show up. late models are dying all across the country and oakshade is still getting 25 to 30 late models a week. the kids are watching and the kids want to race.

Illtsate32
06-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Hate to say it because its such a great outlet for info on the sport I love, but social media is largely to blame for people not attending weekly races, I am guilty of it, and not because of ppv or going live, just because of the constant saturation of the top level of the sport, with all the exposure weekly racing dont light ur fire as much unless you have a friend or family member racing and you have a vested interest in it...

Cardirt0
06-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Something else you don't see at Eldora is kids. the future of the sport is dying, but to be honest with you the drunks have taken over the dream in the world and I'm not sure I would want to take my kids there either. Let this sink in there will not be another late model race at Eldora All Summer Long. The next race is not until the baltes classic which is the first week of September. When I go to waynesfield which does not run late models there is a ton of kids there and also oakshade has a ton of kids. both tracks have one thing in common a lot of cars still show up. late models are dying all across the country and oakshade is still getting 25 to 30 late models a week. the kids are watching and the kids want to race.

5 good tracks will not save the 100 that are Bad.

Illtsate32
06-10-2018, 11:01 AM
An example would be going to ur local dirt track instead of staying home and surfing back and forth from race monitor to 4m talking crap to a phantom, faceless person about how good their driver is and how they know more about racing than you do...

Cardirt0
06-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Hate to say it because its such a great outlet for info on the sport I love, but social media is largely to blame for people not attending weekly races, I am guilty of it, and not because of ppv or going live, just because of the constant saturation of the top level of the sport, with all the exposure weekly racing dont light ur fire as much unless you have a friend or family member racing and you have a vested interest in it...

Just one of 10 things the World is changing fast and we have lost control of it. To much to do and not enff people to cover it all. I cant go because i am sick and old. I lose out on all of it if someone on the other end of the phone did not tell me.

SHOE32
06-10-2018, 11:05 AM
I love late models and ill drive 3+ hours any direction to watch them,but only 1local track near me had the brains to limit engines to 9:1 compression and control the shock choices. And they get 20+ latest a week. Yes,I want to see unlimited lates at the crown jewels,but the local tracks and drivers need to go to limited expense rules like these to survive. And actually tech the cars. Even in Illinois,I love UMP lates,but I don't blame guys for not being able to afford engines and shocks. You'd probably get a lot of them back to the track with some rule changes,they still want to race but can't afford too.

Pennsboro23
06-10-2018, 11:05 AM

There’s never been a ton of kids that go to Eldora. Except for the few of us that started going way back when. I first went when I was 7 and that was probably too young but there’s never been a lot of kids there. Eldora has calmed down a ton since then too.

Centeroff
06-10-2018, 11:23 AM
I can’t understand how someone who has never seen the mans bank account can say that he has a unlimited budget. That 100k is going to pay bills. Scott said in the post race interview that he needed that win because it was already spent and he wouldn’t be buying any toys. Scott wins with superb driving ability and knowledge. Cash has nothing to do with it. Brandon Kinzer and Kyle Bronson have the cash but where are the wins that come with it. Money has nothing to do with it! He has top notch Engines, shocks, etc etc but Bloomquist wins with knowledge and ability

NormP
06-10-2018, 11:26 AM
If it dies then it dies. Nothing to lose sleep over. The world changes. Entertainment comes and goes.

I can complain about how long my grass is, but until I go out and cut it it's only going to get longer. I don't complain about late model racing being a dying sport, because it's not important enough to me to do anything about. I enjoy it, but it's not the center of my universe. I can find other enjoyable stuff to do if I want to.

If it was a big deal to me, I'd be down at the track helping out, or buying a track, or sponsoring cars, whatever. Not just sitting on the internet wringing my hands and making funeral arrangements.

Illtsate32
06-10-2018, 12:05 PM
CO I understand the point you are trying to make and I agree with you, but you sound a little silly lol...

Stefan2k4
06-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Kids have a short attention span and get bored with things after awhile. This is 3 day show right? I don't have kids myself, but if I did, no way, would I take them to an event like this. After the first day, they'd be bored and tired of it and want to go home or do something else. Then all you would hear from them the rest of the weekend is "when are we going home?". A local one night show that last 4-6 hours tops would make much more sense to take the kids to see. They'd be just as entertained and less likely to get burnt out. As for the cost, this is the big show, It's supposed to be the best of the best, and of course they have the best equipment. Honestly, does anyone think a small time driver is going to pull in hauling his car behind a pickup and walk away with the big bucks? The fans who go to see these events go to see the best of the best and what they can do. As for social media killing the sport, there are these things called mobile devices. With these, there's no reason you can't be sitting at your local track watching the show and every once in a while, check to see who won the big show. If you are a true fan of any motorsports, social media, or even watching live video, is no substitute for actually being there and experiencing it live. The only thing it does, is if you cannot be there, for whatever reasons, you can still know what went down. If local tracks aren't drawing fans, it likely has to do with the fact, they aren't putting on a quality show that entertains people and compels them to return. Anything else is just an excuse.

Illtsate32
06-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Nah, racing in the 80s from a competitive standpoint was no better then at a weekly level than it is now, and the stands were absolutely jam packed...so I dont think it has that much to do with how the show is ran than other things. Thats a new saying that has just come up in recent past...

a25rjr
06-10-2018, 12:17 PM
QUOTE:I can’t understand how someone who has never seen the mans bank account can say that he has a unlimited budget. That 100k is going to pay bills. Scott said in the post race interview that he needed that win because it was already spent and he wouldn’t be buying any toys. Scott wins with superb driving ability and knowledge. Cash has nothing to do with it. Brandon Kinzer and Kyle Bronson have the cash but where are the wins that come with it. Money has nothing to do with it! He has top notch Engines, shocks, etc etc but Bloomquist wins with knowledge and ability

Well said......something that never gets mentioned is Bloomer always aligns himself with some of the most intelligent and innovative people/products in the sport!

When I wore a crew chief hat, I was never too prideful or scared to pick up the phone to get the answers I needed!

play4kps
06-10-2018, 02:29 PM
That's probably true about him needing the money, this is a very expensive sport. But I can assure you he is not paying for shocks and a lot of other things and anything else for him is drastically discounted because of who he is.

racingfool32
06-10-2018, 07:43 PM
I think Bloomer should have just let JD win.

They felt sorry for the old man and let him win to make his fans feel good.

MI Dirt Fan
06-10-2018, 07:54 PM
I think too many people have thier tin foil hats on to tight.

TerryM
06-11-2018, 05:32 AM
This makes my 25th year of being active on social media in multiple ways. Social media has never in any way impacted anything I do in real life, and I have a hard time figuring out how it would impact anyone else's choices. If I can't make it to a big show 4 or 5 hours away, I'm hitting up a local show a couple times a month. There's always something going on somewhere.

Illtsate32
06-11-2018, 06:17 AM
This makes my 25th year of being active on social media in multiple ways. Social media has never in any way impacted anything I do in real life, and I have a hard time figuring out how it would impact anyone else's choices. If I can't make it to a big show 4 or 5 hours away, I'm hitting up a local show a couple times a month. There's always something going on somewhere.

I seen an Army recruiter say that the military is needing people to enlist pretty bad, he said enlistment has been on a steady decline the last 20 years, and a very rapid decline the last 10. 20 years ago is about when the internet started to boom, and 10 social media outlets, coincidence?? Theres one example...

Josh Bayko
06-11-2018, 08:10 AM
It’s not the national series killing weekly car counts, and social media doesn’t make as much of a dent as being portrayed here. The big problem is regional series and an explosion of specials in general. Every region that has late models has multiple regional series. Who would a guy go run weekly shows for 1-2k, when they can travel an hour or two and go and race for 3-5k pretty much every week?

BloomerHarvickFan
06-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Yep. I think Ray Cook is up to about 12 series he's promoting now.

Illtsate32
06-11-2018, 11:33 AM
JB which in my opinion is a double edged sword, great for the track that 3-5k is being held, bad for every other track in that region...

Josh Bayko
06-11-2018, 11:44 AM
JB which in my opinion is a double edged sword, great for the track that 3-5k is being held, bad for every other track in that region...

Oh, I agree. And I get why tracks schedule so many specials. It makes them more money than a regular snow. I don’t think the sport is dying or anything, however, I do feel that weekly supers will be pretty much extinct within 5-10 years, and regular weekly racing in general will be extinct not too long after that.

a25rjr
06-11-2018, 12:27 PM
QUOTE:Oh, I agree. And I get why tracks schedule so many specials. It makes them more money than a regular snow. I don’t think the sport is dying or anything, however, I do feel that weekly supers will be pretty much extinct within 5-10 years, and regular weekly racing in general will be extinct not too long after that.

yep......A few years ago, while I was eating bfast in a WH, a local track owner, that I know, came up to me and started talking about racing. He had just put on a 4 day Speedweeks program, and proclaimed he had cleared $139k when all the bills had been paid!

That's why tracks like the national series races. True, its a big commitment, but it pays off in the end!

mcarter815
06-11-2018, 12:41 PM
I seen an Army recruiter say that the military is needing people to enlist pretty bad, he said enlistment has been on a steady decline the last 20 years, and a very rapid decline the last 10. 20 years ago is about when the internet started to boom, and 10 social media outlets, coincidence?? Theres one example...

Could it be because we have been at war for almost twenty years and people don't want to get shot? Could it also be that people know they can make more money working in the private sector?

MI Dirt Fan
06-11-2018, 12:51 PM
I think it has more to do with military budget cuts. I would say the risk of getting shot is quite low.

Centeroff
06-11-2018, 12:53 PM
I proudly served our country during operation Enduring Freedom. I think for an 18 year old graduate military should be mandatory unless you are going to college. I was married and received separation pay which was 1180 a month, base pay as an E4 I think was just shy of 2k, hazard duty pay was up there, BAS was maybe 5-600$. My wife lived comfortably and I still came out with 6 figures in the bank. They have sign on bonuses for high demand jobs as well. When you are deployed you can’t spend any cash so it just stacks up. Also if you are deployed the money is tax free. The military is a great thing and always encourage the young men around you to serve and keep us free. My sons know if they aren’t enrolled in college they will serve their country.

Illtsate32
06-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Could it be because we have been at war for almost twenty years and people don't want to get shot? Could it also be that people know they can make more money working in the private sector?

Maybe. I was just pointing out what the data shows...I didnt say it was solely based on the internet...

Kwd1253
06-11-2018, 02:20 PM
My thoughts good racing.. also my thoughts they should rename Eldora to El-Bloomquist Speedway and put $50k bounty on Bloomquist. if you beat him without wrecking him 50k extra yours.

a25rjr
06-11-2018, 03:20 PM
QUOTE:I proudly served our country during operation Enduring Freedom. I think for an 18 year old graduate military should be mandatory unless you are going to college. I was married and received separation pay which was 1180 a month, base pay as an E4 I think was just shy of 2k, hazard duty pay was up there, BAS was maybe 5-600$. My wife lived comfortably and I still came out with 6 figures in the bank. They have sign on bonuses for high demand jobs as well. When you are deployed you can’t spend any cash so it just stacks up. Also if you are deployed the money is tax free. The military is a great thing and always encourage the young men around you to serve and keep us free. My sons know if they aren’t enrolled in college they will serve their country.

Thank you for your service........I agree 100% every 18 year old should be made to enlist, unless they're in college or has to take care of family. Theres no doubt that will change how these millenials think about our country!

Illtsate32
06-11-2018, 05:17 PM
25jr I second that you wouldnt have these young punks walking around slapping and bucking up to older adults and veterans, and im only 39 but I cant stomach that bs...

mcarter815
06-14-2018, 08:54 AM
I think it has more to do with military budget cuts. I would say the risk of getting shot is quite low.

The military's budget is still higher than it was before the "war on terror."

Stefan2k4
06-14-2018, 10:25 AM
I think the reason a lot of kids don't join the military these days when they graduate high school is simply because they have a lot more choices these days and the fact that many more of them attend college without the need of the GI bill. More career options to chose from means fewer choose the military path. The way the armed force are scatter all over the world engaged in "nation building" and "exporting democracy" to people who don't understand the concept, probably doesn't help much either. I mean risking your life to give freedom to groups of people who will probably one day be crashing airplanes in US building and chanting "death to America" probably doesn't seem all that worthwhile. But the main thing is they simply have more choices today. Anyway, it"s not just the fault of social media. I think social media is more a reflection of us and our true nature than it is the cause of all our problems.

Centeroff
06-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Did you know that most kids that join the military come from below median income homes. They do this because they do not have many other options. I have seen many go in as boys without a clue and come out with their $hit together. The military teaches values and integrity and nowadays the pay isn’t exactly peanuts. I can still show my ID and go onto military base property and all these kids have 30-40k cars (which I hate to see) so they must not be doing too bad. Turn off the fake news and get those boys to the recruiting station.

mcarter815
06-14-2018, 12:44 PM
I'd rather go to college and come out a software engineer at age 22 and not have given up those years of being able to do whatever I want in exchange for PTSD.

Stefan2k4
06-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Centeroff, I agree. That's why I think it's just a matter of having more options. To those who have less options, it's a more likely choice. Anyway, social media has got nothing to do with it. That's how this debate about dirt late model racing got sidetracked onto military service. The claim was made that social media was to blame and was also to blame for fewer young people entering the military. It's a red herring argument.

MI Dirt Fan
06-14-2018, 12:51 PM
I went to college for a semester at a local one and it just wasn't for me. I ended up getting a job that paid more than some of of the people I graduated with after they went to college for 4 yrs. And with out the debt. There is alot of jobs out there that don't require a college degree that pay nicely. It might be physical work at times but it's a better alternative.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
06-14-2018, 12:54 PM
I went to college for a semester at a local one and it just wasn't for me. I ended up getting a job that paid more than some of of the people I graduated with after they went to college for 4 yrs. And with out the debt. There is alot of jobs out there that don't require a college degree that pay nicely. It might be physical work at times but it's a better alternative.

Mcds doesnt count

Centeroff
06-14-2018, 04:02 PM
Mcarter815, College is option A for my boys but after graduation they have about a week to decide because I’m not wiping their a$$es anymore. Honestly that ptsd comment was bull$hit and it raised my blood pressure immediate. You should be ashamed for that comment and you are definitely not a true patriot. PTSD affects many and it’s a shame you could even comment on that matter. Remember, those men with ptsd keep the people you love free. If you have never seen war, you have not earned the right to comment.

mcarter815
06-14-2018, 04:09 PM
PTSD is a real concern for anyone who sees combat and should be taken seriously by anyone who is considering joining the armed forces. My comment wasn't made flippantly.

MI Dirt Fan
06-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Mcds doesnt count

Sounds like something you'd say

Clayton_Wetter
06-14-2018, 04:53 PM
The military's budget is still higher than it was before the "war on terror."

Ever worry about the illegal immigrant budget???? :)

chupp n bloomer fan
06-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Ever worry about the illegal immigrant budget???? :)It’s cool man, Mexico’s paying for the wall, lmao.