PDA

View Full Version : When racing was at its best, IMO..

EDERDS
06-18-2018, 09:01 PM
I was born in 1963 and my father started carrying me to the local dirt track (Columbus Speedway, Columbus MS) at an early age. There were 4 classes of cars running. Street, Hobby, Sportsman and SLM. Anybody that was going to get into racing, got into one of those classes. Car counts were strong in all classes and the racing was good. There are way too many classes today causing most classes to be diluted.

Some SLM drivers from my early years that bring back great memories were Don Hester, Jerry Inmon, C.A. Simmons, Lemon Conn (Spelling), Big Ed Atkins, Johnny Stokes, Eddie Rickman, Chick Boyd and more that escape my memory right now.

Chris Thomason
06-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Big Ed Atkins still hangs around the mag some doesn't he? If it's the same guy as I'm thinking, he usually walks by and says "Hello there, young fella!" in his big ol voice. Bet he is full of cool old timer stories

EDERDS
06-18-2018, 09:11 PM
You would be correct, Big Ed is one of the nicest guys around.

Illtsate32
06-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Guy from Plymouth speedway had a good quote he said, "it used to be people made an excuse to go to the track, now days they make an excuse not to go"...