PDA

View Full Version : The heat

rickybrown1952
06-28-2018, 12:04 PM
How many of you think that it can get too hot to race and cancel the race.Imo it DOES NOT EVER GET TOO HOT FOR DIRT RACING PERIOD

Mindwalker
06-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Never to hot imo either but the guys in them fire breathing dirt racing machines might have another opinion. They're talking heat index above 100 in my parts. LaSalle is shaded good in the stands and isn't supposed to be to hot until tomorrow. There very well could be some canceled this weekend. Stay hydrated!

brsteg
06-28-2018, 12:15 PM
When it got crazy hot a couple years ago Tri-State Speedway Haubstadt, instead of cancelling gave out free water.

MI Dirt Fan
06-28-2018, 12:16 PM
Berlin (asphalt) has cancelled there event for Saturday.

Pennsboro23
06-28-2018, 12:21 PM
It's never too hot for fans, keep yourself hydrated, find shade, or don't come out until it cools down.

a25rjr
06-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Im here in the Sunshine State and I don't think I have ever saw a track cancel due to heat!

If we can work in it all day, surely one can watch a race near dark when it cools off!

You Yankees must be soft! :)

Illtsate32
06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Im here in the Sunshine State and I don't think I have ever saw a track cancel due to heat!

If we can work in it all day, surely one can watch a race near dark when it cools off!

Right I been working construction in southern Ill for 22 years they havent cancelled a day of work for heat yet! Lol

PRCKartRacer9
06-28-2018, 12:44 PM
I do fire block for a living. It'll never be as hot outside as the conditions we work in. The insulator bricks we use arw rated for 2300-2600 degrees and they get burnt up all the time if that tells you anything

Mindwalker
06-28-2018, 12:46 PM
It's never too hot for fans, keep yourself hydrated, find shade, or don't come out until it cools down.

Last year there was a bunch fans on here expressing how the heat will keep them home so if the tracks fear the excessive heat will drive some away.... They will cancel.

Maybe tracks should offer them little cool mist fans 😀

a25rjr
06-28-2018, 12:53 PM
I do fire block for a living. It'll never be as hot outside as the conditions we work in. The insulator bricks we use arw rated for 2300-2600 degrees and they get burnt up all the time if that tells you anything

Wooweee that's hot!.... I thought roofers and asphalt workers had it bad!

Fortunately, I get a few breaks....in and out of the truck a few times a day!

Mindwalker
06-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Im in HELL! You all a bunch of chilly willy's !!!!!! Haaaaaa Hahahahaha 😈

rickybrown1952
06-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Im here in the Sunshine State and I don't think I have ever saw a track cancel due to heat!If we can work in it all day, surely one can watch a race near dark when it cools off!You Yankees must be soft! :)Not this southern Missouri boy sir not gonna happen

PRCKartRacer9
06-28-2018, 01:16 PM
We take mandatory breaks to cool off. FR everything only traps the heat. Very dangerous work, but very lucrative at the same time

chupp n bloomer fan
06-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Right I been working construction in southern Ill for 22 years they havent cancelled a day of work for heat yet! LolNope. Drink fluids, take breaks. Then again, my AC is great in my loader I got now. Going to try and request to keep it.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-28-2018, 03:39 PM

I have been at Needmore when the actual temp was above 100. No heat index stuff. It was miserable, but we raced.

latemodelman
06-28-2018, 04:05 PM
I work in a factory and it gets hot and humid no air conditioning. So anyway after a 9 or 10 hour day I push mow my yard and work outside so I never not go to a race I want to do to heat. I have never seen a race cancelled either. I have seen start times pushed back from 6p.m. hotlaps to 6:30 hotlaps and heats at 8p.m. though.

MI Dirt Fan
06-28-2018, 04:37 PM
There was a bunch of tracks in the Midwest 2 years ago that cancelled due to high heat

Cardirt0
06-28-2018, 05:11 PM
When i use to work at Riverbend Nuke plant. I use to Cad weld they get to 6000 De in 6 sec i use to lose 10 pounds a day in La. When it was 105 in the shade. But i loved that job.

bullring
06-28-2018, 05:50 PM
I think any promoter that cancels using heat as a reason isn't so much concerned about fans or drivers safety as they are about people not coming to sit in the stands.

MI Dirt Fan
06-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Your hardcore every week fan will be there. You can always count on them. But your casual 2,3,4 times a year fan probably won't be there.

MI Dirt Fan
06-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Tri City Granite IL has cancelled due to heat.

mskdorf
06-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Just saw on the Indy news that it will feel like 109 tomorrow at 7:30 pm in Terre Haute. Hot laps at 7. I plan to be there.

Clayton_Wetter
06-28-2018, 07:06 PM
Some of the older people and hot natured people can't handle that kind of heat and humidity. Somebody usually leaves in the ambulance.

Some people are hot in the winter. Go figure!!

Illtsate32
06-28-2018, 07:20 PM
I think any promoter that cancels using heat as a reason isn't so much concerned about fans or drivers safety as they are about people not coming to sit in the stands.

Bingo. And I understand that but dont act like you are worried about us you worried about tha bottom dollar lol...

Shiny Side Up 18
06-28-2018, 07:27 PM
https://youtu.be/uCoP2W4v2v8

Krooser
06-28-2018, 08:09 PM
I've rented swamp coolers to keep my customers cool...

a25rjr
06-28-2018, 08:14 PM
I have been at Needmore when the actual temp was above 100. No heat index stuff. It was miserable, but we raced.

Yep.....I worked in that area several years ago.

It gets super hot around them cotton and bean fields!

over4T
06-28-2018, 10:10 PM
My son turns 42 tomorrow and we'll be at Chico and it's going to be about 102...and that's genuine 102, not that index stuff. His birthday he drives. Me, I look back with fondness to the T shirt and open face helmet days this time of year.

One Man Gang
06-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Being from Ms I'll take the heat any day over the cold temps only time I want cold weather is during deer season but come first day of February I'm ready for things to start warming up.

turnleftandgasit
06-28-2018, 10:32 PM
No interest to sit in this heat for a regular show.

kidrock
06-29-2018, 05:39 AM

And that is the reason some promoters cancel because, of the threat they wont get the fans in the stands and although some people will go there is a lot of that won't. If your the one that has to make the payout it might make you think twice. Promoters nowadays are putting their neck on the line to have these races and some are barley making it week to week. Some are getting only 50 to 60 cars on a weekly show and 250 to 500 fans a week so, there is not much room in the budget to take the risk.

Madcat
06-29-2018, 07:11 AM
I remember when Eldora Dream's were nasty humid and hot. They bring in the cool mister fans for under the grandstands. Few years ago everyone was running way too hot and the racers couldn't interview for fear of their motors breaking down due to the heat. Overflows spewing all over the place.

Lately we haven't even had to use our AC in our toy hauler at the Dream, been perfect to sleep with the windows open.

AllenK
06-29-2018, 10:09 AM
I work in a plant around hot asphalt and oil lines,and with not much ventilation. We have to wear long sleeves too. You go outside and stand in the blacktop parking lot to cool off. I still don't like cold weather. Heat doesn't bother me. Not everyone can take it though.

I don't go the races much anymore,but I never remember a race being canceled due to heat back in the day.

ptown
06-29-2018, 06:25 PM
Peoria canceled

Mindwalker
06-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Peoria canceled

Well... Looks like you'll have to just kick back in granny's basement this weekend with your paint by numbers set she bought for you. 

chupp n bloomer fan
06-29-2018, 07:35 PM
I work in a plant around hot asphalt and oil lines,and with not much ventilation. We have to wear long sleeves too. You go outside and stand in the blacktop parking lot to cool off. I still don't like cold weather. Heat doesn't bother me. Not everyone can take it though.

I don't go the races much anymore,but I never remember a race being canceled due to heat back in the day.You work at an Asphalt Plant? We had to wear long sleeves also, and the hot oil lines run throughout them plants, and they are freakin hot.

Cardirt0
06-29-2018, 08:08 PM
Me and a friend got Meijers to sell us 10 fans cheap, were i live some the old people dont have the money to run the AC so we got some of them some fans. Last year 2 died here from the heat.

AllenK
06-29-2018, 08:17 PM
Hey CNB,I work at a roofing facility. The asphalt is trucked in which presents another opportunity to get burned when offloading. It feels pretty good in Winter,but even some places are still too warm.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-29-2018, 09:18 PM
Hey CNB,I work at a roofing facility. The asphalt is trucked in which presents another opportunity to get burned when offloading. It feels pretty good in Winter,but even some places are still too warm.Gotcha. Owens Corning has plants around Mt Vernon, Ohio, so I know what ya mean. I worked at an actual asphalt plant for seven years as the loader operator. But then there was winter maintenance.

So I’m sure you mainly deal with just liquid AC, not sand and stone I’m assuming.

fryefan
06-29-2018, 11:25 PM
No interest to sit in this heat for a regular show.

Totally agree. For a special event, I will do it, but not for a regular show.

AllenK
06-30-2018, 12:55 PM
CNBfan,I can't get the quote features to work on my phone or laptop. We just deal with liquid stuff. We use sand in our process though. Speaking of that,OSHA has cracked down on sand/silica in a huge way. Had to put in a million dollar plus recovery/vacuum system to catch sand. Have to wet the broom if you are going to sweep. No blowing with compressed air.

I have not been to every track in America,but I can tell you with 100 percent confidence where the two hottest ones are. That would be Boothill Speedway near Shreveport,Louisana,and Lone Star Speedway about 50 or 60 miles down I-20 near Kilgore,Texas. I have roasted my backside on Boothill's concrete bleachers many times. They face due west so the sun is blasting them before the races.

Lone Star wins the prize. We used to go to their Armadillo 100 in August. As I said,I am used to the heat and I was still in my twenties when we were going. One year it was brutal. The heat and humidity plus people packed in like sardines made for oppressive conditions. My wife almost had an anxiety attack because it was so bad it was hard to breathe. Never will forget that.

State Capitol Dragway near Baton Rouge,Louisiana was a humid place too,and the drunkenness hung in the air like the humidity. Eldora is like Sunday school compared to that place.