PDA

View Full Version : Comp Cams at Salina High Banks

MI Dirt Fan
06-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Says on DoD racewire Jared Landers is going to be there. Who's ride is he in?

huskerdirt
06-30-2018, 12:31 PM
There’s like 8 guys on the list that weren’t there last night and aren’t gonna be there tonight.

Reading way too much into it.

MI Dirt Fan
06-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Yea I don't trust it too much. They sometimes have the same names listed being at two different events.

AllenK
06-30-2018, 12:57 PM
I love that track! Very cool place. Unbelievably fast when hooked up.

wreck
06-30-2018, 06:21 PM
If Jared shows he'll be in the David Peterson ride. BJ Robinson was there last night in the other DPM car. Allen you are right, that place is lightning fast. Last night it had a solid cushion and they were hauling the mail all night.

AllenK
06-30-2018, 07:35 PM
If Jared shows he'll be in the David Peterson ride. BJ Robinson was there last night in the other DPM car. Allen you are right, that place is lightning fast. Last night it had a solid cushion and they were hauling the mail all night.

Good deal!

Went there twice. One of the most unique tracks ever. Do they still have the Kubota tractor to give you a ride up the hill to the stands? I remember the backstretch cone having to be on a rope and lift because it would fall over due to the banking. It came up a bad storm the last time. We cancelled our rooms because we figured it would get rained out. It was a MARS show,and they decided to race so we rebooked our rooms. They were flying that night because the track was so tacky from the rain. Love that place.

MI Dirt Fan
06-30-2018, 07:39 PM
I was wondering if they mean't Gavin because he was there last night.

wreck
06-30-2018, 07:49 PM
They had a trolley bus for the hill this time. The cone is still on the boom but they didn't use it. Salina is a lot like Batesville in that, even when it slicks off, they're still carrying a lot of speed. The first time I went was the first year for this event, and it never got slick that night. Hammer down til the last feature. It also seems like it can be tough on tires depending on conditions.

GrocMax
06-30-2018, 08:30 PM
Has a tendency to take rubber on big show nights with lots of laps from what I've seen.

wreck
06-30-2018, 08:56 PM
Yeah that's what happened at a modified show I saw there a couple years ago. Last night of a 3 day show, got locked down and started eating tires. Truth be told there's not that many tracks that can stay racy for three nights in a row, or at least that have the equipment and knowledge to make it happen. It's a compromise so often: would we rather run the risk of making it a car-breaker to keep it from rubbering or do the opposite?

GrocMax
06-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Those steeply banked tracks gotta be difficult to farm, water and pack right.

Slinging
06-30-2018, 09:22 PM
Duck River is the same way..lightning fast high banked...1/4 track..they run in the mid 12s

AllenK
06-30-2018, 09:40 PM
Those steeply banked tracks gotta be difficult to farm, water and pack right.

The track was watered from around the outside with an old forest service water truck the last time we went.

There was also an ongoing dispute with a neighbor of the track. Went to the bathroom,and heard the awfulest racket. The neighbor owned the local Radio Shack,and was blasting crow calls toward the track over a huge row of speakers.

Oklahoma has some pretty cool tracks. Salina,Muskogee,and Outlaw are big and fast. Tri-State is also,but it was almost always one groove. Looks much better these days racing wise.

AllenK
06-30-2018, 09:42 PM
They had a trolley bus for the hill this time. The cone is still on the boom but they didn't use it. Salina is a lot like Batesville in that, even when it slicks off, they're still carrying a lot of speed. The first time I went was the first year for this event, and it never got slick that night. Hammer down til the last feature. It also seems like it can be tough on tires depending on conditions.

Yes,it's like Batesville on steroids.

GrocMax
06-30-2018, 10:11 PM
AllenK - Been to Muskogee, Outlaw a couple times, and Southern OK Speedway (Lake Country Speedway) a bunch. SOS is a very much improved facility since the Webb's bought it, and its always had a decent surface, some of the best car counts around. Probably be a drive for you.

GrocMax
06-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Judging by race monitor laps times looks like it took rubber, everybody's setting fastest lap times late in the race.

AllenK
06-30-2018, 11:00 PM
AllenK - Been to Muskogee, Outlaw a couple times, and Southern OK Speedway (Lake Country Speedway) a bunch. SOS is a very much improved facility since the Webb's bought it, and its always had a decent surface, some of the best car counts around. Probably be a drive for you.

What about the track at Longdale? Looks like a smaller Outlaw to me. Looks like a nice place.

GrocMax
06-30-2018, 11:08 PM
Longdale is closed, and they are full of s its got 26 deg banking in the corners and 22 on the straights. Maybe 13 each end = 26? Never been there but the vids are out there. No way was that thing 26 degrees. Supposed to be 1/2 mile have my doubts about that as well.

One Man Gang
06-30-2018, 11:21 PM
The track was watered from around the outside with an old forest service water truck the last time we went.

There was also an ongoing dispute with a neighbor of the track. Went to the bathroom,and heard the awfulest racket. The neighbor owned the local Radio Shack,and was blasting crow calls toward the track over a huge row of speakers.

Oklahoma has some pretty cool tracks. Salina,Muskogee,and Outlaw are big and fast. Tri-State is also,but it was almost always one groove. Looks much better these days racing wise.
Wouldn't blasting some 2 Live Crew or LL Cool J over that row of speakers be more annoying to race fans than crow calls hell if anybody is outside much at all you get used to hearing crows but ain't nothing more annoying than urban jungle jam

chupp n bloomer fan
06-30-2018, 11:27 PM
Wouldn't blasting some 2 Live Crew or LL Cool J over that row of speakers be more annoying to race fans than crow calls hell if anybody is outside much at all you get used to hearing crows but ain't nothing more annoying than urban jungle jamMaybe they’ll blast David Allen Coe, that can be pretty annoying white trash music.

One Man Gang
06-30-2018, 11:35 PM
You got that right ol Coe had a few songs that d@mn sure ruffled some feathers

MI Dirt Fan
06-30-2018, 11:44 PM
Jesse Stovall wins.

AllenK
07-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Congrats to Jesse. Gonna have to check out that race on DOD.

Regarding the crow calls,it was pretty loud and obnoxious! Not sure if the two would've been worse,and I'm down with some Coe. I was supervising at work on night shift many moons ago when the regular boss was gone. Had a young crew,and I was a lot younger too. One guy blasted a crow call tape over the intercom. It was insanely loud in the break room where I was at the time. You could break someone down pretty quick!!